Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious someone was telling me that all of the following have compatable suspension GA70, MA70, JZA70, with a 1987 supra turbo can someone help me either confirm or disprove this. is it possible that one setup would be compatable with all of these cars? sorry this is probably a real stupid question. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, jeremy.

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
A70 chassis information for you buddy...

Every supra is the same whether it is non-turbo or other wise

G is the 2.0
M is the 3.0
JZ is the 2.5

But they are all A70 cars, meaning the same body, and same generation.

The Z20 soarers in japan also share the same floor pan as the supra

GZ20 is the 2.0
MZ20 is the 3.0

The 2.5 1JZ was not offered in the soarer until the JZZ30 model, which is totally different.

The Bilsteins from the JZA70 are a direct fit for your MA70, but i appreciate your effort to confirm this.

I invite anybody to please confirm or disprove me...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply i was actually just try to find out more info about them on the web and was wondering what the difference was between them if any. but your answer was awesome thats for the reply. i think that just about clears it up.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
ok, well what about the difference in suspension with the twin turbo R, and the turbo A??¿
did they have any special suspension?

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
models

the only change is a change to bilstein height adjustable coilover struts and springs, which is a factory option comparable to something like an eibach or ST spring and KYB etc strut....

the turbo a enjoys the front duct and different engine management as well as a 5 mm larger throttle body, as well as other features, approximately 500 were produced for racing homologation

the turbo-r enjoys the 2.5 twin turbo, no abs, recaro interior, as well as other trim and etc

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've elaborated before (but I won't do the jerk SEARCH crap so prevalent here :)... I have a set of TRD Bilsteins on my car (a 87, I bought the shocks and TRD springs in 96 or so).

Note these are not the adjustable version, they were sold as Soarer/Supra replacements.

The rear shocks are a direct fit, the fronts are not. The front shocks do not have a bung on the shock rod to keep them from coming through the shock mount. (The rears not only have a bung, but also the semi-circle that prevents the rod from turing as you tighten the nut)

There is no way to keep them from bouncing up through the mount once installed, other than welding the nut to the mount.

I have yet to figure out how using a set of 88-92 mounts can solve this either.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
hmmm wierd.. we got a set of bilsteins from our turbo r and put em into our 86 ga70 without a problem... i agree freak set lol

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not the only person, I know of one other who had this problem. Again, these are the non-adjustable Bilsteins TRD sells as replacements, not ones originally on a car.

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
shox

the set of suspension that he is inquiring about it a full set of strut and spring assemlies with the top strut mounts and everything. i belive the shocks you speak of are bilstein inserts to be used as replacements, as for those i have no information..

·
Registered
620 Posts
drjonez said:
hmmmmm. so how the heck are you supposed to attach them!?!?

Weld the nut to the mount... not elegant, but it worked. I would hope that TRD/Bilstein has corrected the problem by now, I never got a response from them after writing them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts