Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am almost getting ready to purchase my 1991 240sx coupe and want to get this project rolling. I got plenty of ideas on which parts I am going to purchase which is easy for consumers like us. But what I really wanted, was you guru's to help me out on how to calculate everything. For example:
-What would be the desired ride height? Height from the ground to lower control arm? heights between the top of the tire to the fender?
-Alignment?
-How stiff should the suspension be(dampening) in regards to vehicle weight?
-How to calculate on what spring rate to get to get maximum performance?
-What kind of sway bars would be best used? Thickness? adjustability?
-Choosing the right wheel size and width?(widest wheel possible? lightest?)

Is this something that I would have to adjust everytime after I race? I know its all about how the driver feels comfortable. But I would like to just have your guys opinion. I have a book that has all this information but can't find the SOB.

I searched but nothing came up.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
unless anyone here has expertise in the car you are talking about, all you are going to get is poor guesses from keyboard warriors.

All those things are not only dependant on each other, but also one the track you are setting the car up for, the wieght distribution, total wieght, tire compound, power output, etc. Even if we were talking about a supra, the most optimal set up isn't going to be one recommended on the internet. If you're serious about the "best" setup, you need someone to put in some seat time in your car that knows what they are doing.

I don't mean to tell you not to ask, but its impossible to give you a good answer. I've been in back to back cars of same make and model that race in the same class, but were set up TOTALLY different. And both gave about the same lap times.

If you get parts on your car, and you ever make it as far south as Buttonwillow, I'd be happy to spend some time with you if I'm at the track when you are.

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
turbomx5 said:
unless anyone here has expertise in the car you are talking about, all you are going to get is poor guesses from keyboard warriors.
:lol: :agreed:

With that being said though some folks can give you good starting points. Where you take it from there is dependant upon you and the people you ask for help.

You'll end up tuning the car for the handling characteristics which you desire, which none of us can quantify or understand without time with you.

For instance the handling characteristics of Andi's One Lap Supra are likely worlds apart from my car, Vick's car, Barry's old Supra, or Matt's old car -- regardless of our lap times and the relative success of the cars.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your inputs. But maybe I came across a little different from what I was actually goin' for. I know there is some kind of calculations you can do to get some kind of "estimate" of what height/spring rate/weight/etc. you "should" be at.

I agree with you guys totally. Every car and espeically every driver has different opinions on how the car should feel. I came a little too broad. I dont think my project will be done before August but I will be taking a trip down to buttonwillow for the driving course down there. If you could make it out there and show me some tips, I would apprecaite it very much. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
let me know what event you are going to, and we'll see if I can make it.

but i still stick by my original post. unless someone here has set one up before, you would be fool hardy to take our advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts