Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put Greddy springs with Tokiko TEMS units and get a clunking noise going out of the driveway, over bumps etc. The end links are tight so I am at a loss - do I need to do something special as a result of lowering it an inch?

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Lithium (sp) grease on the bottom bolts

The white stuff you wiped off the bolts

:D

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Try pushing down on the car enough to get it to bounce while watching the top of the strut. If you see the strut move at all then you need to tighten the nut that holds the strut to the pillowball mount.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took off the tems unit cover and pushed down but didn't see any movement. I did notice that there were metal shavings in the little gap where the base of the screw is on the bolt of the strut catridge - did I possibly tighted it too much?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Not likely unless you went crazy with a breaker bar. Those shavings could be from the half moon portion that is supposed to hold the strut rod from rotating or from using a new nut.

Just make sure when you test each corner that you are pushing down very hard and fast, it can be hard to tell if it's moving if the strut doesn't move far. The other possible problems are the bolt holding the strut to the lower control arm could be loose. If it didn't make the noise before you installed the suspension then it is very likely it was one of the bolts or nuts you touched. Double and triple check them all for tightness.

G

·
Hmm, the shavings ring a bell.

When you installed the shocks, did you keep the special washers that go from the engine bay side (front), interior side (rear) on the shocks?

Without those, your shocks will be loose, even though the nuts are tight. A bounce test probably won't be enough to make it knock around.

Sometimes the shocks aren't threaded far enough also, so you'll have to use more washers there.

Here is a diagram (part 48603A): http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII_NATO/291410/4803_1.html

If that looks good, jack up the side that's making noise, and use a big pry bar, to push the wheel up and down, as well as sideways. That should let you hear where it is coming from. Don't forget to check out the swaybar bushings, mounted on the frame also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy with the ride with the exception of the clunking noise (in addition to the springs and strut cartidges, I put the suspension techniques sway bars as well). I am going to try Shawndudes remedy above tomorrow and with any luck we are in the wind!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts