Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the 94TT down for an alignment today, and ran into a couple of problems ...

The front lower suspension arm bracket stays are "in the way" of the eccentric bolt, and the shop says they're not allowed to remove them. Nor could they lend me the 14mm and 17mm to remove them myself. Liability - I understand, something goes wrong, cross-threading or nut falls off or whatever, they could be liable.

Crap. OK, go home and remove those myself. But then, got to thinking, is the car safe to drive without those in place ? It's a 4-mile easy drive down to the shop, but still.

The other bit was he couldn't get the rear toe to +1.00mm. Could get to just under 0.00mm, so maybe about -0.50mm.
Left rear toe adjustment Right rear toe adjustment

So I'm thinking about replacing those rear toe arms with adjustable ones. Seems like there's quite a few out there, Figs, Megan Racing, Godspeed ...

Hrm, looking at the photos here, it looks like the left cam is sideways, not upright like it's supposed to be. Wonder if that's why they couldn't get it to +1.00mm.

·
From the land down under
4,091 Posts
That definitely looks like the camber bolt washer isnt positioned correctly.

Im about to buy all new camber bolts/washers etc so when I finally install all my new OEM arms, they will be able to be aligned correctly, as the original bolts dont seem to be that easy to adjust, after 24 years.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
i'll take a look under my car tomorrow but i dont remember ever having an issue with that bar when doing an alignment.
that excentric on the left is maxed out, ideally you want it somewhere in the center like the right one, or kinda close but if yours is maxed out and you still need more adjustment then theres an issue somewhere.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower arm bracket stays - they're easy enough to pop on and off - 2x 14mm bolts, 1x 17mm nut on the eccentric bolt. But they have to be off when I take it into the shop. It's the driving there with them off that worries me.

They triangulate, locking the front cross-member to that lower front suspension bit. I worry that without them there may be side-loads or something ?

Maybe I can convince them to let ME take them off when I get there ... Dang. :(

·
Boost Junkie
12,523 Posts
Take it to a different shop.

Steve

·
Game Over
1,235 Posts
Take it to a different shop.

Steve
This.

I highly recommend bringing your Supra to another shop to do the alignment. Also, please make sure that they tighten all the eccentric bolts to at least TQ specs because most alignment shops won't, and it can all potentially loosen and progressively throw your alignment specs off as it does.

The Front LCA eccentrics bolts for Camber/Caster is 166 ft/lbs
The Rear LCA and Toe eccentrics are 134 ft/lbs

·
Boost Junkie
12,523 Posts
This.

I highly recommend bringing your Supra to another shop to do the alignment. Also, please make sure that they tighten all the eccentric bolts to at least TQ specs because most alignment shops won't, and it can all potentially loosen and progressively throw your alignment specs off as it does.

The Front LCA eccentrics bolts for Camber/Caster is 166 ft/lbs
The Rear LCA and Toe eccentrics are 134 ft/lbs
This is very important. The front bolts are around 166ft/lbs and the rear are 136ft/lbs. You can't get there just using a ratched. One must use a proper torque wrench.

Steve

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup - in general once someone "else" has touched the car, I go over it myself. I caught a rear eccentric not being tight years ago, and it made me paranoid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could remove the nut and cam washer, tap the bolt out a bit, then rotate and replace the cam washer in the correct orientation with the flat side up. Hopefully it's not rusted to the grommet. I recently had to replace a rear No.1 control arm in my MK3 by cutting it out with a thin blade angle grinder. Why Toyota didn't spend a few pennies on grease for these camber bolts is a mystery. I've had to cut out 4 of the 8 cam bolts, 2 in front and 2 in the rear. The bright side is now I have a proper alignment for the first time in 24 years. I also got the correct offset wheels this time. 40mm is close to the stock 37mm for a MK3. The previous wheels was a staggered set from a MK4 with a 50 mm offset.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did all the bushings (except for rear upper arms - too much pain) a couple of years ago, so hopefully those cam bolts will undo and come out cleanly - they were OK then.

I got a set of P2M adjustable rear toe arms, just arrived yesterday. Going to put them in tomorrow. I believe you should set the stock cam bolts to all the way IN towards centerline, then use the adjustable to suit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts