Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just installed a set of Megan coilovers as a decent comprimise for streetability and a better handling car on the roadcourse.

So now the tuning questions:
What does what for me...

Stiffer rear = Greater or less oversteer
Stiffer front = Greater or less understeer

Or neither or....

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Start with them at full soft. If you make the rear stiffer than the front (in a relative sense) you will have more oversteer tendencies.

There is a whole philosophy on suspension tuning... I've heard "Tune to Win" is an awesome book on the subject. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-Carr...3513524?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177942585&sr=8-1
Actually that's a little backwards.

Those megan racing coil overs, or any s/a low line coil over, does not have a compression/bound adjustment. Tuning the shock only adjust the rebound.

To a point, increasing rebound will actually deliver more traction to a specific tire. Think of it this way:

Once the car is "loaded" or "leaned over"... with more rebound force, the car will stay loaded longer, putting more weight over the tire, and more traction. This ofcourse has a "window" and if you go outside the window, it does not work this way.

I would start with your coil overs in the middle setting all around. Keep in mind your coil overs will not have a huge range of adjustment, so you may not even notice only one "click".

With the coil overs set in the middle all around, if the car is pushing, tighten the front shocks 2 clicks. If the car is over steering, tighten the rear two clicks.

None of this, obviously, applies to a set of "real" performance coil overs, such as motons, AD's, JRZ, etc, as they actually function as they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Actually that's a little backwards.

Those megan racing coil overs, or any s/a low line coil over, does not have a compression/bound adjustment. Tuning the shock only adjust the rebound.
Oops I didn't know that the Megans only allow for rebound adjust. Thanks for the correction.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
None of this, obviously, applies to a set of "real" performance coil overs, such as motons, AD's, JRZ, etc, as they actually function as they are supposed to.
First off, what makes them different in the sense of functioning like they are "supposed to?" Also, who are AD and JRZ?

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
From what I've found, it looks like Advance Design and Ground Control are the same company, and GC says they work with Eibach.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
From what I've found, it looks like Advance Design and Ground Control are the same company, and GC says they work with Eibach.
What are you getting at?

Chevy makes the cobalt, as well as the Z06. products of different quality, for different audiences. Same with GC and Eibach. I however, would not put the AD's in the same catagory as the JRZ's, moton's or penske's.

I would say its impossible to tell without actually driving the car if Chris or Austin is more right. Megan's are an unknown quantity inthe supra community. You can't say one is right and the other wrong without having driven the car.

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
I can tell GC is very different from Eibach, I just wondered if buying a GC setup was the same thing as AD. If they are that good, it'd be hard to beat a company that will custom make spring rates and design them for your shocks. By the way, I couldn't find anything for Supras on the JRZ page.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
ah. gotcha. They would be different.

As for the JRZ's, like most high end shocks like penkse's and Moton's, most of thier applications are custom set ups from people who use the JRZ shock to put together a full "kit" for you. I'm sure a a good JRZ dealer could make you something if they had a set of stock shocks to measure from.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Aah, I see. I think I remember seeing kits from Moton ranging from $6-10K. It's next to impossible to find someone who has been through several high-end shocks on a similar car for a comparison, though. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts