Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, i wasn't planning on posting pix, but i was on fire today (no, not literally. that was a few days ago...). here's some updated pix of SW 8 pt cage i'm installing (56k beware, all are 1024x768, approx. 200k/each):

http://mkiiitech.com/mkiiisupra/drj/2005progress/03-19-05cage/

now for some notes:

-the front door down bars, harness cross bar and harness bar support bars are NOT in

-the strut tower X is NOT part of the SW kit. that was my own custom work.

-yeah, i know, some of the welds suck. what can i say? i'm an engineer, not a welder. ;)

enjoy!

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
whats chassis flex :dunno:

looks good adam. would like to see it all put together.
bout how much weight all said and done?

E

·
0 Posts
Looks good Dr. is it chro moly? Were all of the joints pre notched/ fish mouthed?

·
Banned
305 Posts
Lookin good Dr. J.

We've got the back half of the 10 point in as well. What did you do for your driver side rear bar, the one that goes right down into the spare tire well?

Some of the bar ends are coped to fit, others are not. Theres cutting and fitting that needs to be done on some bars, so they leave it up to you after you cut it to fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
nice cage there, what kind of speeds/times on the 1/8 and 1/4 do you need a cage like that for?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think NHRA is regulating them for 11.50 and quicker now. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Jonez those pictures are just what I've been hoping for as I've been planning to put a cage in my car. I look forward to hearing how much it wieghs.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nope, it's not cro-mo. i'm poor.

yes the bars are pre-notched, no they're not all correct. it's far from a drop in, weld-up affair.

the interior was removed for the cage install. removing the int puts me in an autox class i don't want to be in, so it's going back in after the cage is installed.

jdm- look @ the pix, you'll see my rear down bar solution. or back up a directory and see all my '05 progress pix, more cage install pix there.

new NRHA rules require a 4 pt for anything faster than 11.5. i could care less about drag racing and/or requirements related to that. the car will never go faster than 11.5. i'm doing this mostly for chassis stiffening and safety for autox + road racing.

N

·
0 Posts
drjonez said:
well, i wasn't planning on posting pix, but i was on fire today (no, not literally. that was a few days ago...).
i tend to set myself on fire by accident often

one time i was trying to get JB Weld to dry faster by using a heat gun, and lit a paper towel on the bench on fire by accident. well genius me decides to shake the flame out and the paper towel breaks apart and lands in my hair, still on fire, setting my hair on fire. burning hair stinks, bald spots look like ass

looking good though, i'm curious how the car feels when its all back together

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ha! that's hilarious. over the past week of working on the cage i managed to set myself on fire 2ce. i was wearing jeans and the frayed cuff burst into flames.....certainly adds some excitement...

and yeah, burning hair or flesh STINKS. ugh.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts