Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,i just swapped another gte into my car,and i took it for a rip around the block after start up,and i hear a very quiet rod knock,the motor only has 60k on it,im using 10w 40 oil,could this be the problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
im not to sure either, my supra just had a full over haul and when i switched my oils i started to get a rod knock but then i went back it went away so i imagine its not too bad, try a partial synthetic, that might make it go away

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
-scarface2jz- said:
im not to sure either, my supra just had a full over haul and when i switched my oils i started to get a rod knock but then i went back it went away so i imagine its not too bad, try a partial synthetic, that might make it go away

Rod knock doesn't go away you cover it with a thicker oil it will be harder to hear and it can make it impossible to hear, if its rod knock it will only get louder and kill the motor and it will be too late. Get it checked out by a few people to make sure it is rod knock or not.

·
Knockin the rod in slopra
811 Posts
actually when i first switched to synthetic after swap-rebuild my engine knocked heavily for 10minutes or so, then it quit. i was seriously worried and paranoid for little while, but that was 13months and 10,000 miles ago, motor running strong with 12psi boosting daily

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
i don't trust used 7m's. some have good luck, others don't. if mine blew now i'd do a rebuild. if i was in your situation i would be pissed but since it has to be fixed just drive it that way it is; find a blown 7m and have that rebuilt to stock specs if you can't afford forged internals. definitely new oem oil pump and metal head gasket with arp studs is a necessary

just look in your regional forum and you should be able to find blown longblock and get info on a good engine builder not too far from your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts