Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its a 94 supra 6-speed TT, single turbo. Motor took poop, put in aristo or soarer motor. Now it wont start. When cranking the car fires and starts for a split second but the shuts down. The fuel looks good and I would think there is spark is its initially starting fine. Have swapped a few parts out with running supra; so far swapped, injector resistor box, ignitor box, maf sensor, map sensor. Only other thing different is that the crank position sensor is not the on that was on the motor as it was broken. The reluctor gears look the same for the most part. Might be a tad but different hard to tell while on the motor. We unhooked this sensor and then it did not fire at all, so I would think its working. Are the reluctor rings different on jdm motors maybe? We also swapped the ecu with a working 98 unit and car did the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated, please dont make fun of thee run on sentences. thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a link on how to check the codes on a 94? I have a 97 obd2 so my scan tool wont work on his
thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen OBD II scan tools for 30 bucks on Ebay. It could be some as simple as the OBD II misinterpreting your 94. For example if I remember right there is a second oxygen sensor after the cat with OBD II but not OBD I. No reading at the cat could cause miscalculation in fuel mix, causing the car to die right after start up. I dunno, just thinking out loud, but that OBD II scan tool is gonna be the way to go. Borrow one from a buddy or neighbor maybe.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
ive seen this happen before and there are really so many things it could be. Im going to assume fuel pressure is fine. Check spark at the coil especially after it no longer fires. If spark looks strong its either a sensor or wiring problem. Crank sensor is a good place to start as well as cam sensorsbut there are so many other things it could be. Fastest/best bet is to find a friend with a scanner and plug it into the car...this would allow you to check sensor voltages/readings and determine which sensor is either giving no/ a poor reading. Granted you may not have this ability but IMO any other way will just consume much more time and some throwing of parts at the car.

Best answer I can give you because anything else said by anyone including me is a guess no matter how educated unless there is something different about the jap motors which I wouldnt know about.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
what year o2 sensor are u using?????? 3 wire or 4 wire??

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
same o2 sensor that was on the motor that came out, matches the ecu. Would have to check on wires though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a problem with my swap like this. The car would start for 2-3 seconds, and then die. Most people suggested it was a spark problem and sure enough it was.

I had a used wiring harness, so the previous owner hacked up the plug that goes into the ignitor, 1 wire wasnt even attached to the connector, thats all my problem was. I'd imagine yours is probably spark related as well.

·
1,767 Posts
which injectors are you using? You changed the spark plugs right? I'd go to autozone and rent the obd2 scanner(for free) and find out whats going on.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, i have obd2 scanner but the car is obd1. Its my buds car so ill gonna let him know on the ideas here. It real does sould like its kiling the spark just not sure how yet. Ill post back when we try the codes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts