Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi, I currently bought a mk5 supra and wanted to save some money for a 2jz swap, what mods do you recomend at ~900 hp. For a future build
Indeed, let's discuss. Perhaps we can have a quick lesson here, and contrast what is needed to make 900+whp with the B58 lol

You need:
2JZ-GTE (I'd recommend the series 1 as opposed to the VVTi but that's just me)
Single turbo manifold
Turbo and injectors/rail/pumps to support that power (confer with your local tuner)
Large intercooler and wastegates
Race gas or E85(if choosing the latter, make necessary changes to fuel parts above)
272 cams
Large intake manifold and throttle body mod
Titanium valves, springs and retainers
V160/1 transmission and all associated drivetrain parts
Upgraded rear differential(Torsen, TRD, OS Giken, etc.)
Upgraded cam gears
4" exhaust from turbo back
Standalone engine management (AEM, ProEFI, Megasquirt, etc.)
High quality electronic boost controller
Upgraded head gasket
Clutch to handle your TQ numbers (confer with your local tuner)

That's all you really need to make 900whp (torque numbers will depend on the mixture of stock rod strength and how quickly your turbo comes on)

If you wanted to increase the reliability, you could to ahead and do a small build with upgraded rods(torque) and pistons/rings(heat) and perhaps some head work. It's not necessary but would definitely increase fortitude and leave you with room to grow as well.

Take this list to a well respected and verified tuner, and compare it to what they say would actually be needed for a B58 to make just 70% of that power on a dyno dynamics.

Create a build thread here and keep us updated!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Indeed, let's discuss. Perhaps we can have a quick lesson here, and contrast what is needed to make 900+whp with the B58 lol

You need:
Single turbo manifold
Turbo and injectors/rail/pumps to support that power (confer with your local tuner)
Race gas or E85(if choosing the latter, make necessary changes to fuel parts above)
272 cams
Upgraded cam gears
Upgraded head gasket

That's all you really need to make 900whp (torque numbers will depend on the mixture of stock rod strength and how quickly your turbo comes on)

If you wanted to increase the reliability, you could to ahead and do a small build with upgraded rods(torque) and pistons/rings(heat) and perhaps some head work. It's not necessary but would definitely increase fortitude and leave you with room to grow as well.

Take this list to a well respected and verified tuner, and compare it to what they say would actually be needed for a B58 to make just 70% of that power on a dyno dynamics.

You really don't need the upgraded intake manifold for 900hp.

The grannas T56 kit is a good option too.

Why recommend against the VVTi? It's probably the biggest drivability enhancement for a 2JZ.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi, I currently bought a mk5 supra and wanted to save some money for a 2jz swap, what mods do you recomend at ~900 hp. For a future build
car swap. drive it til the warranty is up and sell, then purchase mk4.

jk. swapping the driveline in the mk5 is a fantastic idea imho

if your serious and want to do this, why aim for 900 ? I mean your pot committed so to speak. you spent a lot on the mk5. the swap is going to be intense and expensive so do it big right ?? .... im thinking:

·
Registered
310 Posts

You need:
Single turbo manifold
272 cams
Upgraded cam gears
Upgraded head gasket

You really don't need the upgraded intake manifold for 900hp.

·
Game Over
1,198 Posts
For a stock block 2jz-gte with 900whp, I'd start with a 71mm+ modern turbo. Your peak power will probably happen closer to 7k rpm give or take, but ultimately this will keep your peak TQ down, and keep the stock rods happy. Afterwards, I would be looking into a pair of matching camshafts to the turbine you plan to run, and an intake manifold to free up the restrictions at that HP, and to have a nice powerband to match.

Personally, I like a Intake manifold that has been modified with a larger plenum, such as Titan/SP/PHR/RSP, ect, because it frees up some top end, but helps retain some bottom end TQ by keeping the factory long length lower runners. However if you like all that top-end, plan to run 12 injectors down the road, or having an option to run a big TB without adapters, or simply the looks of a short-runner FFIM, then there are fantastic options such as CPC/Hypertune/Greddy/Veilside(Unicorn), ect.

For electronics, it's a little early to say because of the MKV being a modern car, with modern BMW electronics, I wouldn't be surprised to expect some challenges from swapping an older motor into a newer car and keeping all the body electronics happy, if one were trying to build a street car. For instance, I'd probably start looking into a modern EMS that can run a PWM controlled high pressure Direct injected fuel pump, and DBW because the MKV is DBW from the factory, so you'd probably want to run a DBW throttle body, unless you wouldn't care to hack into the car to run a cable setup, which wouldn't really make sense, given the advantages of a properly setup DBW.

A couple of modern EMS that I can think of on top of my head would be AEM Infinity/Pro-EFI/Motec, ect, but it's also really important to factor in the availability of tuners that supports that EMS, otherwise it'll be an expensive paperweight.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,159 Posts
Regarding intake manifold, it’s true. You don’t need a big intake manifold for 900hp.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,159 Posts
You guys are saving the day by answering questions that nobody asked.
Oh sorry Mr Check Elbow, just trying to stop the spread of misinformation from your post.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh sorry Mr Check Elbow, just trying to stop the spread of misinformation from your post.
Spreading misinformation? Lmfao I gave him a complete build list with room to grow.

Off the top of my head, mind you.

Funny, I didn't see you offering the man any information of substance.

Nobody here is debating how many deciliters of oxygen the stock manifold can handle.

You and the other guy are just the typical facebook quarterback coming in at the tail end of a productive conversation trying to sound intelligent when all you're really doing is getting into semantics and making yourself look like a scrub.

How about you piss off and insert your own nugget of information for the OP instead of trying to piggyback off of my shit when I have forgotten more about inline 6's and how they behave than you will ever know.

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,562 Posts
How about you piss off and insert your own nugget of information for the OP instead of trying to piggyback off of my shit when I have forgotten more about inline 6's and how they behave than you will ever know.
😳 🍿🍿

Just out of curiosity have you even seen Patrick's Supra? Or have any knowledge of his build? Just a question...

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,369 Posts
Good question since gases and liquids go hand and hand. So, how many deciliters of oxygen can the stock 2j manifold hold, and how would the Hypertune compare with regards to dL?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,159 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts