Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's the dry weight of the engine. Wet it's around 370.

I was always curious as to why the GTR engine is so heavy. That 3800lb curb weight with all that aluminum and carbon composite in the frame is crazy. Even more ridiculous is how competitive it still is at that weight all these years later
I think they've gotten heavier over the years too, and yet the lap times keep doing down. Granted they have thrown about 5-7% more power at it since its initial release.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's the dry weight of the engine. Wet it's around 370.

I was always curious as to why the GTR engine is so heavy. That 3800lb curb weight with all that aluminum and carbon composite in the frame is crazy. Even more ridiculous is how competitive it still is at that weight all these years later
Likely a lot of that weight is the front diff and axles. I'm not sure how the VR38 is set up, but the old RB26 had a diff built into the oil pan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There was a REALLY good video series on YouTube from Mizuno-san, the Chief Engineer of the R35. He basically explained that the car's weight is intentional, in order to provide roughly the same downforce, via weight, that an F1 car does via aerodynamics. Pure aero downforce is not "noob friendly" as it is non-constant, but gravity is gravity. So it makes a car with predictable performance that non-professionals can drive easily. A heavy car just means you eat through tires/brakes/etc. faster (I remember a poster on the EvoM forums saying a friend had both an Audi R8 and an R35, and sold the R35 because it was stupidly expensive to maintain after a track day).

·
Registered
48 Posts
There was a REALLY good video series on YouTube from Mizuno-san, the Chief Engineer of the R35. He basically explained that the car's weight is intentional, in order to provide roughly the same downforce, via weight, that an F1 car does via aerodynamics. Pure aero downforce is not "noob friendly" as it is non-constant, but gravity is gravity. So it makes a car with predictable performance that non-professionals can drive easily. A heavy car just means you eat through tires/brakes/etc. faster (I remember a poster on the EvoM forums saying a friend had both an Audi R8 and an R35, and sold the R35 because it was stupidly expensive to maintain after a track day).
More weight does not equal better handling; tires do not work that way. If the GTR was lighter it would handle better and corner harder. Sounds like he was making excuses, haha.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you're unaware that more weight = more traction?
As you add load to a tire, grip increases until the load goes over the tire's peak at which point grip falls off rapidly.

Downforce has the amazing property of increasing vertical load without increasing the horizontal load in a turn or increasing the mass that needs to be accelerated and decelerated.

The lighter a car is, the more of its mass can be added to the outside wheel in a turn and controlled. The heavier it is, the sooner the tire will reach its peak and lose control.

The GTR manages its self incredibly well and I enjoy it every day but if it lost 500lbs, it'd probably still be competing at the top.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you're unaware that more weight = more traction?
As you add load to a tire, grip increases until the load goes over the tire's peak at which point grip falls off rapidly.

Downforce has the amazing property of increasing vertical load without increasing the horizontal load in a turn or increasing the mass that needs to be accelerated and decelerated.

The lighter a car is, the more of its mass can be added to the outside wheel in a turn and controlled. The heavier it is, the sooner the tire will reach its peak and lose control.

The GTR manages its self incredibly well and I enjoy it every day but if it lost 500lbs, it'd probably still be competing at the top.

·
Registered
911 Posts
As weight increases, so does stress, both with cars and in the dating world. :p

In seriousness though, friction = traction... weight is a factor, but far from the only factor. I'll take a lighter car over a heavier car literally every single time, in every single road condition.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I love how you were prodding me about pointing out fundamental physics that directly contradicted the guys comment which I replied to as if I was wrong all to listen to yourself talk(type actually) getting into an argument that never was.

Nobody was discussing cornering, choice of cars or adding or deducting weight from a GTR.

The fact that more weight gives you more traction was in question, which is comical. We are talking about pure physical equation here.

As weight increases, so does stress, both with cars and in the dating world. :p

In seriousness though, friction = traction... weight is a factor, but far from the only factor. I'll take a lighter car over a heavier car literally every single time, in every single road condition.
No, actually you wouldn't. Unless you want to lose races. You agreed that weight is not the only factor, but by saying that you'll take a lighter car in every situation therefore puts parameters on the discussion so you can't simply disregard other possible factors.

Only where all things are equal would lighter weight become an advantage in and of itself.

There are definitely situations where different combinations of weight, tires, power, rwd or awd etc would come into play.

I'll take a heavy, awd vehicle with sticky tires over a lighter car that also has more power if we are anywhere except a 1 mile drag.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Check, I take it you don't race in places where there are turns involved? Weight is a liability there.

·
iSPOOL
1,006 Posts
I'm certainly no circuit racer but I wouldn't argue with the Chief Engineer of the car that clocked 7:08.59s on the Nurburgring and set lap records on that same track decade ago. He seems to understand the weight/power balance pretty well. 👍😉

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love how you were prodding me about pointing out fundamental physics that directly contradicted the guys comment which I replied to as if I was wrong all to listen to yourself talk(type actually) getting into an argument that never was.

Nobody was discussing cornering, choice of cars or adding or deducting weight from a GTR.

The fact that more weight gives you more traction was in question, which is comical. We are talking about pure physical equation here.

No, actually you wouldn't. Unless you want to lose races. You agreed that weight is not the only factor, but by saying that you'll take a lighter car in every situation therefore puts parameters on the discussion so you can't simply disregard other possible factors.

Only where all things are equal would lighter weight become an advantage in and of itself.

There are definitely situations where different combinations of weight, tires, power, rwd or awd etc would come into play.

I'll take a heavy, awd vehicle with sticky tires over a lighter car that also has more power if we are anywhere except a 1 mile drag.
Oh my bad for asking for more than assholish one liners that put down other members. If that's your style, I'd suggest taking it to a Facebook group, it'll go over way better with that crowd.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh my bad for asking for more than assholish one liners that put down other members. If that's your style, I'd suggest taking it to a Facebook group, it'll go over way better with that crowd.
Cool story.

I don't need more than one liners to convey that the sky is blue.

Quit crying because you got shown up and were relegated to regurgitating something you hastily Google'd.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,177 Posts
CheckElbow is a troll who gets called out and makes another username. This has been going on for at least a couple years and is no secret. He does not own a Supra, contradicting his “top secret/dynosaur lol” 6spd he claims in his signature. Apparently his goal in life is to seem important on an Internet forum. Literally ignore everything he says.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh geez, your self awareness is astoundingly low.
You're talking about self awareness when you can't even read and decipher that the topic in question was merely that more weight = more traction?

There was no other debate, you created one.

Then lost it.

Lmao.

CheckElbow is a troll who gets called out and makes another username. This has been going on for at least a couple years and is no secret. He does not own a Supra, contradicting his “top secret/dynosaur lol” 6spd he claims in his signature. Apparently his goal in life is to seem important on an Internet forum. Literally ignore everything he says.
Wrong.

Try again.

Your thoughts and comments reflect more about yourself than they do about me.

I have owned a Supra since 2012. You're an idiot.

Correct, Top Secret and Dynosaur. For someone who claims to have built several Supras, they certainly have never seen action and been to Texas 2K, otherwise you'd know who Dynosaur is.

Going back and forth about cars and opinions on them is one thing, but acting like you know my itinerary and saying that I don't own a Supra just makes you look salty.

You sound like a loser.

I already summarily dismissed your previous claim that I don't own a Supra, seeing as how I don't owe you any kind of explanation since you are absolutely nobody - but since I seem to live rent free in your head, would me writing down "Patrick94TT is dickriding clown" on a piece of paper laying on the hood of my Supra be sufficient evidence for you, Sherlock?

brb

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,177 Posts
Insert roll eyes emoji here.. bud are you serious? Give it up.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts