Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm rally considering changing the differential gear in my 6 speed for quicker acceleration. i'm thinking about trying to threow in the 3.76 from the auto, and i'm wondering if anyone has attempted this before. i know the japanese version has a 3.27, but i would like to try out a 3.76 in there. this would help me out since i'm going to lose some low end power from my head which i am getting ported. i know switching to this gear would probably tenderize my tires in the first couple of gears, but i have sbc i-d and power meter so i can turn down the boost at lower speeds to try and defeat this resulting problem. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks:) :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now the american version 6 speed has a 3.13 in the rear, and the american automatic has the 3.76. i would like to try out the 3.76

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know of anyone who's has tried this that i can talk to? how much was the top speed affected? poowerhouse wants like $550 for the swap, that seems pretty steep of a price for just the gear< can you buy direct form toyota?:)

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
jeremy haakonso said:
do you know of anyone who's has tried this that i can talk to? how much was the top speed affected? poowerhouse wants like $550 for the swap, that seems pretty steep of a price for just the gear< can you buy direct form toyota?:)
Powerhouses price is about the same as what you'll pay form Jay Marks for the ring & pinion. If you can find someone who knows what they are doing when working on a Supra differential you'll pay a few $$$ for the install. Call PH and find out who they use for installations, and what the cost is.

As long as you're in there I would change to the TRD clutch type LSD, it is stronger than the stock torsen.

Personally I think it is a waste of time and money, unless you have maximized every other part of your car and are now looking for whatever small advantage you can find.

I would also forget about the auto diff, unless you want to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4 mile, and cruise at ~20% higher rpm in any gear than you do now.

Toyco got the gearing right the first time.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 6spd is running a 3.692 rear end. Personally, i would prefer to have a taller gearing of about 3.1 or 3.2.
At 3.7, the gears are a little too shortfor my liking. First gear is virtually redundant(hardly any boost), leaving you realistically with only 5 speeds to play with. And not to mention, your fuel consumption.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
ianong said:
my 6spd is running a 3.692 rear end. Personally, i would prefer to have a taller gearing of about 3.1 or 3.2.
At 3.7, the gears are a little too shortfor my liking. First gear is virtually redundant(hardly any boost), leaving you realistically with only 5 speeds to play with. And not to mention, your fuel consumption.
Do you know what each gear tops out at and at what RPM by chance? Thanks...not very many have an aftermarket ring and pinion.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lagtime said:

Powerhouses price is about the same as what you'll pay form Jay Marks for the ring & pinion. If you can find someone who knows what they are doing when working on a Supra differential you'll pay a few $$$ for the install. Call PH and find out who they use for installations, and what the cost is.

As long as you're in there I would change to the TRD clutch type LSD, it is stronger than the stock torsen.

Personally I think it is a waste of time and money, unless you have maximized every other part of your car and are now looking for whatever small advantage you can find.

I would also forget about the auto diff, unless you want to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4 mile, and cruise at ~20% higher rpm in any gear than you do now.

Toyco got the gearing right the first time.
I don't think you can buy the 3,27 ring and pinjong at Toyota

I think PHR buy them somewhere else

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Supramannen said:

I don't think you can buy the 3,27 ring and pinjong at Toyota

I think PHR buy them somewhere else
Of course you can, they are (or were) the standard gear ratio for Japanese domestic market 6 speed Supras from 1994 on.

Call Jeff Watson, he can get them.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Anyone know where to get any speed ratings in each gear with the 3.27:1 in a 6-speed?
The 3.27 is 4.3% shorter than the 3.13, so you will go 4.3% slower in each gear at the same rpm. Multiply the speed in gears for the stock (3.13) ratio by .957 and you will be pretty close.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Supramannen said:

Are you sure

I asked PHR about this and they said NO
Well, I busted my stock Torsen LSD about 9 months ago. One of the people I called when I was researching options (new diff, rebuild w/stronger parts, used diff from a salvage yard) was Jeff. He had price quotes on 3.27 gears, TRD diff etc. It is a stock Toyota part in Japan, why couldn't Jeff get them?

Of course, all you have to do to find out is call Jeff. :)

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Supramannen said:
If you not have notised it yet,I live in Sweden so it's no meaning to call Jeff
Why can't you call Texas?

Tel : 1-800-327-2087
Fax : 1-713-943-8930
www.toyotaworld.com

Also check their website, I believe there is an e-mail link to order parts from.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Supramannen said:
No idea

I I want to buy something from USA I buy from PHR they are the best.
I'll will be contacting Toyota here in Sweden in stead, much better
Well, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Jeff Watson at Jay Marks Toyota is one of the most highly respected sellers of Supra parts in the USA. He owns and races a '94 Supra, really knows his stuff. This is not to diminish PHR, as a tuner of Supras they are the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts