Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are sway bars worth it for a stock suspensioned '97? Are there TRD bushings? Does anyone make stiffer ones than the TRD 27% stiffer? I'd get the same front and back, as I like the way the car is balanced with Lance's alignment.

Damn the '97+ suspension has a lot of body roll.

Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
I have them and love them. To make a noticeable difference, you need to change out those slightly softer 97+ springs. Once you change the springs, you need to change the shocks or your rebound will be seriously messed up. If you want your ride quality to remain the same with some handling improvement, just do the sway bars plus the STBs. If you want a truely noticeable difference, do springs/shocks first. I have it ALL done and love it. I was scared to push my lowly BPU car on the highway before I upgraded the suspension. I never felt in control. There is a stiffer rear bar available - Ask Andi. I think the TRD setup is very well balanced, but some people like to toss the rear out more I guess. ;)

John H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but if I do anything to the springs and shocks I'm going Teins all the way. No use in getting something only to replace it later.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I just put Teins on the car and I have the TRD sway bars already. I also bought, but haven't installed, the custom 53% stiffer rear bar. I'll post my experience once I finish putting the car back together (also doing timing belt, tranny rear seal, etc.).
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
doesn't TRD make a 43% stiffer one or something? i thought i remembered seeing that somewhere. Oolan, where did you get the custom 53%?
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Originally posted by Oolan Zimmer:
<STRONG>I just put Teins on the car and I have the TRD sway bars already. I also bought, but haven't installed, the custom 53% stiffer rear bar. I'll post my experience once I finish putting the car back together (also doing timing belt, tranny rear seal, etc.).</STRONG>
Fun fun fun. Be prepared for your car to always behave like my sig pic.. ;)

Andi
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
My car has been so fucking out of alignment since I bought it in October-that it has taken so much of thefu out of driving it. Since the front tires are scalloped i can't align the car properly. So now that spring is here I want to replace tires suspension and get front and rear sway bars strut brace. I was thinking all TRD just because i think it will sound better when i go to sell the car.

where can i get the best price on trd parts?

how much will 2 sway bars, 1 strut brace, trd shock spring combo(eibach/bistein) and 4 new stock size tires cost?

Am i wasting my money?

who's the friendliest bear in town?


thanks supraboytt
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by NOVAsupra:
<STRONG>doesn't TRD make a 43% stiffer one or something? i thought i remembered seeing that somewhere. Oolan, where did you get the custom 53%?</STRONG>
Phil Panas arranged a group buy of these. I think mvpmotorsports bought all the extra ones.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Andi:
<STRONG>Fun fun fun. Be prepared for your car to always behave like my sig pic.. ;)

Andi</STRONG>
Andi, what size tires are you running? Is it controlled oversteer or does it get away from you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
If your mkiv understeers too much for your taste, the better fix is probably more negative camber up front rather than more rear roll stiffness. You need close to -2 degrees up front to get good tire temperatures on a racetrack. I made the mistake of stiffening the rear up too much relative to the front, and the car wouldn't put power down well at all on corner exit, which is something it does extremely well when it's setup properly.

Also, I've got the TRD bars, and wasn't very impressed. They don't increase roll stiffness that much. I'd just save the money and use it toward the purchase of coilovers personally.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Originally posted by Oolan Zimmer:
<STRONG>Andi, what size tires are you running? Is it controlled oversteer or does it get away from you?</STRONG>
I'm running 315/35-17 pilot sports in back and 265/40-17 pole positions in front.

AT the beginning of the sesion it is already oversteering too much. By the end it's just crazy oversteer, because the rears get greasy quicker than the fronts, so they slide more, and the domino effect continues with them getting hotter and greasier.. as anybody that saw me drive at the Tx2k1 blimp base.

I think this setup will be good once I get the 900# front Tein springs and 255/40-17 g-force KD's and 315/35-17 G-force KD's.

Andi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andi, why not just put a normal TRD bar in back and leave the springs the way they are?

I was also wondering about adding more negative camber in front, something like 1.5 instead of the standard 1.0 for lance's alignment.
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I'm starting to consider that option. Reason I wanted to go with the stiffer front springs was to kill two birds with one stone (780# spring rate still isn't enough to prevent bottoming over really big bumps at a semi-pimpin ride height).

Andi

Originally posted by Grant:
<STRONG>Andi, why not just put a normal TRD bar in back and leave the springs the way they are?
</STRONG>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Andi:
<STRONG>780# spring rate still isn't enough to prevent bottoming over really big bumps at a semi-pimpin ride height.</STRONG>
Andi

LOL, well let me know what works out for you. That way I can just copy your setup when/if I get Teins :) I'm definitely going to wait on the sway bars, doesn't seem worth it. $1.35k + shipping for ajustable bars, ooouch.

Goddamn why can't they make 285/35/17 Geforce KDs?

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: Grant ]
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
are the GForce KDs a pretty good road course tire? I'm running 285/30/18 and 245/40/18 G Force KDs on my SE37s... wonder how well that would work on a road course :) they are really meant to try to hold some single turbo power in a straight line though, anyone know if they're as good traction wise as i've been told?

-wc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Originally posted by Grant:
<STRONG>Andi, why not just put a normal TRD bar in back and leave the springs the way they are?

I was also wondering about adding more negative camber in front, something like 1.5 instead of the standard 1.0 for lance's alignment.</STRONG>
Yes. If you're driving on a racetrack.
-1.5 is a minimum. I had -1.2 for awhile, and it wasn't nearly enough. Your front tires will thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Originally posted by drizzt3117:
<STRONG>are the GForce KDs a pretty good road course tire? I'm running 285/30/18 and 245/40/18 G Force KDs on my SE37s... wonder how well that would work on a road course :) they are really meant to try to hold some single turbo power in a straight line though, anyone know if they're as good traction wise as i've been told?

-wc</STRONG>
Warren -

They're very good. They're not quite as sticky as R compound tires, but they work well.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top