Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this isn't the best mod out there but for the buck I think it's awesome. This has been covered before but I also notice not many people know about it. The couple guys i've called haven't heard about it at all. I thought I'd throw my A+++ out for it.

Replace the stock lower Radiator hose with a S-032 hose. Or whatever your local parts store shows for a lower radiator hose for an 86 Toyota Celica Supra 2.8L 5MGE.

I replaces the stock one and free's up alot of space down there, makes it looks alot cleaner. It knock's off almost 2ft in hose. Instead of doing that crazy 180 360 loopdy loo around everything it goes straight from the radiator to the engine with no unneeded bends. All you do is take the hose is calls for and cut about 2 inch's off the side that goes into the engine. Then just put it on and clamp it down. It should fit real well, along side of the power steering pump.

We all know how the stock one looks here's a pic of how the 5MGE one looks.

~Dan

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I stated this has been covered, just wasn't sure how many people saw it. Figure i'd throw in my opinion of the mod in.

I have no idea why toyota didn't di it this way. It's alot less cluttered.

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
Sneaky, sneaky. I may have to do this when I replace my hose next time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
SupraMkiii24 said:
I know I stated this has been covered, just wasn't sure how many people saw it. Figure i'd throw in my opinion of the mod in.

I have no idea why toyota didn't di it this way. It's alot less cluttered.
Thanks for the info. I never saw the orig. post so I would have missed this mod.

·
Registered
483 Posts
3p141592654 said:
It rubs on the A/C line. Long term reliability issue.
Good think I have no AC I took that baby out.

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
3p141592654 said:
It rubs on the A/C line. Long term reliability issue.
I'm sure there's a quick mod to counter that.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
um, mind circling where? i dont see where it does, then again im not the best at the a/c stuff

<l><l>

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
it doesnt rub on the AC line so much as restnig right on top of the powersteering lockdown bolt on that adjuster bracket. i pulled a motor out of a car that used that hose, it was an early 87 turbo w/ the different intercool pipe setup. it had a wear spot that resembled the head of that bolt and was down to the reinforcing braid of the hose.

i would do it again if i could put a protective rubber sleeve over the hose where it rests on the PS bracket.

·
90T
857 Posts
Okay, agreed. It depends on how you trim the end attaching to the engine but in any case the hose ends up rubbing on one of several parts in the vicinity. Bottom line is the 5M pipe routing didn't pass Toyota QA.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Here's a question, what hose from what car or part number works for the 1JZ with MA70 radiator? I'm running a universal bendable piece of shit, and it looks ugly :wavey:

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Flea420 said:
Here's a question, what hose from what car or part number works for the 1JZ with MA70 radiator? I'm running a universal bendable piece of shit, and it looks ugly :wavey:
I used the 2JZ hose. It fit without modification.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
samco 7M hoses FTW... i would split a spare peice of radiator hose and use it as an insulator if my hose rubs on anything bad.

·
Turbonetics..****** asses
1,062 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
This has been covered in a thread a few weeks back which I am sure you got this info.;)
Actually I did that on mine a couple years ago didn't think it was a big deal so I didn't post anything about it. I used the metal flex line to do mine

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
This has been covered in a thread a few weeks back which I am sure you got this info.;)
yep that was me
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369325

i dont have the comparison pics yet. i'll see if i can do that this weekend.

i think you had even said in that thread that it would disappear on page 15 in a matter of days haha.

whether my thread had anything to do w/ it or not, glad to see people finding out about it. sure does help out, esp when running large ic piping.

edit- and yes you need to trim a bit off the tstat housing end.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
mobes said:
I used the 2JZ hose. It fit without modification.
Sweeeeet, thanks. Ordering one tomorrow. Shoulda guessed a 2J line would work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts