Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm going from a '95 headlight/turn signal to '98 lights with the clear signal. Blinkers work but how do i get the parking light into the new clear blinker light? The parking lights from the old setup have that 4"+ long plug. how do i switch the fitting to fit the new lights? -TIM

·
Registered
532 Posts
i was curious about this too. im gonna try to replace the turnsignal harness with a new 98 wire harness to see if i can get that parkin light (4inch plug light) into the turnsig light. i'll let you kno if it works, probably wont get a chance to do that til this weekend tho. also my friend said he could just wire the parking light into the turnsignal....we'll see how that turns out
later
kevin

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any other option? Do i have to buy the '98 harness? do any other toyota use a harness(plug) that would work? I'd perfer to get a cheap one at a junk yard -TIM

T

·
0 Posts
i just made the switch from 96 to 98 and i had to go to the dealer and order the new harnesses. i think they were like $14 each. also you lose the light for the factory alarm. hey silver TT im from MA also (arlington) where about you from?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
guys, why buy 98 head lights for around 700 bux when you can pop'm out, sand the inside surface of the lense and paint the back ground black! :D
well that's what i'm doing right now... i'll let you guys know how it turns out... maybe it won't be too easy to do getting rid of all the pesky lines of the 93-96 headlights...
will post pictures up asap!

anyone else try this???

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
argh! i was just workin on the head lights but they turned out pretty poorly... i am going to have to find a way to make them work without having the paint smear off...
so far, it doesnt look too good, but too late to back out of it now i will somehow make it work.

i sanded it down with fine sand paper and put some addhesive spray to keep the paint on, then coated it with bumper spray paint taht was recommended. but obviously this application isn't working.

i'll find a way to get them right and let u know when i do! hehe so :warning: dont start on this yet :) hehe

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
someone else did this, long time ago, and posted the results on another supra forum (supraforums was dead at the time). From afar it looked good but no furthre pictures were provided and no other comment made. Hope that person steps up now...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Guys listen,

I did this about two years ago and it is real simple, I'm going to try and go step by step. Get a heat gun and heat the edges where the front clear plastic meet the black back plastic so you can pull them apart(make sure that you take off all the metal clips first) Once you have pulled them apart. Clean the clear plastic. Tape up the chrome rings around the headlight and fog light (sorry no ring around high beam:mad: )then get fine sand paper and sand away that nasty ass chrome. In order to paint all you need is two different kinds of spay paint. 1. flat black for the part that was chrome that is now sanded 2. heat temp flat black for a little piece of metal that goes under the fog light. spay from 8" away, give 3 - 4 coats allow to dry in between coats. Then remove the tape around the rings, put back on the metal piece under the fog light which is now painted with heat temp flat black and screw the pieces together. Heat the edges up again so that the compound is soft and squeeze them back together. If you follow all of these directions you should have some nice looking lights.
Don't get me wrong there is no substitute for the 98's that I now have:D , simply because of the high beam and front clear lens. but they WILL look great:cool:. Good Luck guys, hope I helped. :bthumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts