Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an idea to switch from OBDI to OBDII. It's not performance related.

There are a few gadgets for only OBDII cars like the Pocketlogger and CarSpy.

I want to know if it's possible, and if there any problems associated with it except the OBDII simulator.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i guess it can be done but you will also need a new engine harness i belive and some other nick nacks.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
I would just get the aem and log all the data you want, not to mention the ability to tune your single alot better

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Plug and play.

AEM doesn't make 2 different versions of their standalone for OBDI & OBDII Supras, do they? ;)

Your only issue will be the "Check Engine" light from the 2nd O2 sensor, you'll need an O2 simulator.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
Lagtime said:
Plug and play.

AEM doesn't make 2 different versions of their standalone for OBDI & OBDII Supras, do they? ;)

Your only issue will be the "Check Engine" light from the 2nd O2 sensor, you'll need an O2 simulator.
i know aem doesnt make 2 different versions, but i was assuming the only reason he wanted to go obdii was to datalog, and with the aem you can do plenty of that :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
The problem with what you're trying to do is the OBD1/2 DLC connectors are different. So even if you install an OBD2 ecu you still will not have the proper interface connector to plug in devices like pocketlogger,obd2meter, etc.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, it was just a thought.

As for the AEM, I refuse to go with it. I am not a serious autox or drag racer.

I will try the OBDI pocketlogger to see if works with the Supra OBD interface. Otherwise I'll just stick with the Techtom unit.

Thanks for the answers, if there are more points to consider, feel free to post them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Grumpy said:
As for the AEM, I refuse to go with it. I am not a serious autox or drag racer.
I am not a serious auto-x or drag racer either yet I use an AEM? If you are hardcore enough to want to datalog, you are hardcore enough to get an AEM.

Just my opinion, of course.

-m

·
Registered
849 Posts
Are you also using a OBD2 data logger

QUOTE]Originally posted by SupraGator
I went from a OBD I to OBD II and everything is working fine. [/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
SupraGator said:
I went from a OBD I to OBD II and everything is working fine.
what if anything else did you have to change the ecu and what else (good info for the tech area)

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i thought obd2 had a bunch of extra sensors that obd1 didn't have. so all that's needed to keep the check engine light from coming on is the o2 simulator?:confused:

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
*wishlist*supraTT said:
i thought obd2 had a bunch of extra sensors that obd1 didn't have. so all that's needed to keep the check engine light from coming on is the o2 simulator?:confused:
i thought this would be a simple question for the more knowledgable heads in the forums. yes/no/not sure?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wish I could answer you but I can't until I get the simulator wired in and see if that gets rid of my MIL

*wishlist*supraTT said:
i thought this would be a simple question for the more knowledgable heads in the forums. yes/no/not sure?

·
Registered
583 Posts
*wishlist*supraTT said:
As far as I know the sensors are pretty much the same. OBD2 just monitors a lot more parameters. Installing the o2 simulator cured my check engine light and my car is running great. Stay tuned though, some people like Sol have been having some rich idle problems after switching to OBD2.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
thanks toyotafan.

SupraSol, please updated us/me on what happens after you've wired it in. pm me if you would rather not post it up. thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
will definitely let you know in here, I have nothing to hide, really hoping I can get the OBDII working.....otherwise the AFC is pretty useless between 5-6K rpm.

*wishlist*supraTT said:
thanks toyotafan.

SupraSol, please updated us/me on what happens after you've wired it in. pm me if you would rather not post it up. thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts