Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everybody I have an 88 supra turbo auto. I bought it and the clutch fan has major pieces missing and it vibrates back and forth. I am thinking about switching to an electric fan or fans. I have a couple questions though before I do this switch.

How many cfms does the electric fan need to push?

Pusher or puller fan?

Where would I wire it into?

When removing the stock fan do you just remove the fan?

Sorry for all the questions I just bought the car about a week ago and have never had a car with a clutch driven fan before so never done the switch. Thanks for your time.

BiGGinZ

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
do it on the cheap, lose your engine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do it on the cheap, lose your engine
Not true, You dont have to spend $400 on a fan set up. I see the same fans for like $100-$150 without the shroud to fit the car. I can fab one up myself for less then $250. I am just wondering about the wiring so if anyone can actually try and help me that would be great instead of just coming in and making a comment.

BiGGinZ

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah those fans are loot...i just posted it up so you would have dimensions and cfm....you must wire them into a fan controller.....summit has them.....it turns them on and off at preset temps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah those fans are loot...i just posted it up so you would have dimensions and cfm....you must wire them into a fan controller.....summit has them.....it turns them on and off at preset temps
Yea I figured that man(you posting those to help me out), thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
well the one that i got was from sneed's speed shop.... http://www.sneedspeedshop.com/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=274 .
i picked up a adjustable thermostatic switch from advanced autoparts for like 15 bucks or so and installed it myself. it comes with instructions on how to install it along with a manual bypass incase it fails. only thing is you need one of those fancy temperature guns to know exactly what temp. your fans are coming on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since you're trying to go cheap just wire it to the battery with a relay kit. I have dual flex a lites and once the key is on accessory they are on until the car turns off. I have never had a problem with it and you don't have to buy a controller or anything.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Not true, You dont have to spend $400 on a fan set up. I see the same fans for like $100-$150 without the shroud to fit the car. I can fab one up myself for less then $250. I am just wondering about the wiring so if anyone can actually try and help me that would be great instead of just coming in and making a comment.

BiGGinZ
CFM cost money. Regardless if it is an electric fan or a turbo.

And with our cars. All it takes is one fan to not come on and you are looking at rebuilding your engine. Ask Gixxer on that one.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Since you're trying to go cheap just wire it to the battery with a relay kit. I have dual flex a lites and once the key is on accessory they are on until the car turns off. I have never had a problem with it and you don't have to buy a controller or anything.
burned up fan motors are in your future...

·
Registered
41 Posts
^^^ i agree. the thermostatic switch will keep the fans running even if the car is off that way they will pull air through the radiator when it gets to temperature. it's a good thing to have, plus the wiring diagram also shows you how to splice in a manual switch for safety. i'm not a sales man i'm just tryin to help there not be more severe problems in your future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think I'll be able to burn up a flex a lite fan motor. I've had this setup for a long time and haven't had a problem. Nothing on the car is just "thrown together". It is a good setup and I just don't want somebody to spend money they don't have to. If you want to be really safe though do whatever you think. I like how mine is. Just my .02.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I don't think I'll be able to burn up a flex a lite fan motor. I've had this setup for a long time and haven't had a problem. Nothing on the car is just "thrown together". It is a good setup and I just don't want somebody to spend money they don't have to. If you want to be really safe though do whatever you think. I like how mine is. Just my .02.

I wouldn't bet the house on the FAL motors ;)

I have one that is dead from an old setup.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
they're not meant to be run like that, and WILL burn up...

seen it too often when someone wires in E-fans to run all the time, they go through em pretty damn fast...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've known plenty of people who have had this setup for three or more years. So since everyone is "just scared" about burning the motors but I've seen them last I think I have pretty good back up. Not tyring to start an argument or be a jerk, but if I don't know of anyone who has had a problem why would I buy a fan controller. Nothing wrong with being safe, I just don't think it is a necessity. Sorry if you disagree. If I had friends who burnt their fans up I'd be on your side. Do what you think, though.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have been running the Zirgo fan from Ebay for 2 years now. I got the one with the temperature control switch for about $120..Probably cheaper now. All you have to do is find a relay at the auto parts store and wire it up. So figure $140 for everything including the relay,heavy gauge wiring, and some hardware to mount the fan on the radiator. I know a guy who has a fancy name brand fan setup, annd I can tell it has not near the fan power of my single Zirgo

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
"Why"

If thats for me.. The reason I switched to the electric fan is because my CFS radiator was so thick that it would sit too close to the stock fan coupling. This would cause the fan coupling to overheat and make the fan run full blast constantly... The electric fan looks better too.:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts