Supra Forums banner

Synthetic oil on delivering daily driver?

• Yes, start using synthetic oil

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, keep using conventional oil

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 98 Cavalier that I use as my daily driver. On the weekends, I deliver for Pizza Hut ( :blah: I know) and I put ~500mi by the end of each week. Because of the beating the engine takes, I change the oil every 2K miles with the conventional, cheapest non-synthetic oil I can find. Recently I have been thinking if it should be a better idea if I use synthetic oil rather than conventional. And instead of changing the oil every 2K miles, changing it every 3K miles.

Although it'll be a little more expensive, is it a better choice in the long run? It's a stock auto Cavalier. It's slow and doesn't go anywhere but it does take a beating. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
synthetic every 3k would probably be a good idea for longevity, especially because its an auto and you say you drive hard...

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
With how often you are changing the oil, synthetic sounds like a waste of money to me. I don't see any reason you can't push the interval to at least 3,000 miles on conventional and still be safe also....

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
Mobil 1 oil + Mobil 1 filter = 5k+ oil change (you can do up to 15k on a good filter though)

I will never put anything but Mobil 1 in any car no matter how crappy.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
mr2jzgte said:
Okay, I have a 98 Cavalier that I use as my daily driver. On the weekends, I deliver for Pizza Hut ( :blah: I know) and I put ~500mi by the end of each week. Because of the beating the engine takes, I change the oil every 2K miles with the conventional, cheapest non-synthetic oil I can find. Recently I have been thinking if it should be a better idea if I use synthetic oil rather than conventional. And instead of changing the oil every 2K miles, changing it every 3K miles.

Although it'll be a little more expensive, is it a better choice in the long run? It's a stock auto Cavalier. It's slow and doesn't go anywhere but it does take a beating. What do you think?

On a car like yours, dino oil will work just fine as long as you change it every 3k or so. If your car is in proper working order, changing at 2k miles is just a waste of time and money cause the oil will not have lost is potective properties that fast. Synthetic won't add any additional protection in your case, will cost more and often times when you change from dino to synthetic oil on a high mileage car, you might start seeing leaking oil as your seals, etc. are conditioned to the properties of dino oil. Just my .02.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts