Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already know what head unit I am going to be using.... Sony Mobile ES yadda yadda......but what about the stock locations I know the doors and rears are 4" that is way to damn small....

What have the other MKIII owners done about this????

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
im picking my MKIII up on Tuesday or Wednesday, and it already has a lower end Clarion CD Player. I'll be ripping that out and putting in my Pioneer w/ 12 disc changer, running to a JBC 4 band parametric 1/2 DIN EQ, then to a Massive Audio RS40.4. Two channels will go to my Boston Acoutics Rally 6.5" components (if i can cram them into the doors, but ive been told by a local installer that has a MKIII that it can be done with a little effort) by building a custom baffle for the doors, and then placing the tweeters in the A-Pillars, aimed across the car. The other two channels will be bridged to a single Boston Acoutics 12" Competitor, so it will see around 400-600watts RMS.

Later on, I'll buy another amp to run my subs, hook up my second 12", and install some Massive Audio coaxials in the rear.... and neon, and plexi, and motorization.............. :D

M

·
0 Posts
I got them custom baffles made by Thomas Kenyon's shop. Now that I look at them I could have done it myself but oh well. As for the tweeters being "easily" mounted in the a-pillars, I dunno about that being easy. I would just flush mount them on the upper part of the door panel. If you got some nice Focal or BA tweets powered by a good 70 or 80 watts or so you don't want that shit pointed at you, it'll be annoying. As for rear speakers I think it would be a pain in the ass to fit anything bigger than MAYBE 5.25's in the back part (not the very back, the ones right next to the back seats). I wouldn't even bother putting speakers in the very back, cause all you really hear from them is tweeting. All I have right now is 1 pair of Focals up front powered by my PPI 80x2 and it sounds pretty good. Oh I also go 1 12" sub.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the specs on the baffles??? PICS..... really interested about that....... I am going with a couple of 10s inthe rear...... since i listen to rock .....not really looking to atract or "adrevtise" what I have I just want some nice sound in the car.....

N

·
0 Posts
Gotsnoboost,

Do you have a MIII? What size speakers did u put in the doors? Did u put them in the stock location?

Enraged,

I'd like to get the details on how the installer can get 6.5's to fit in a MIII door.

I just bought a RF Power 800.4 to add to my Jensen MP5010 MP3 head unit, so the next step is to upgrade my 12 year old stock speakers. The stock speaker sizes are:

door-4"
back seats- 3.5"
hatch- 4"

Obviously, I'd like to plus up the size at all locations. You probably could fit 5.25" in the back seat locations (you'd have to redo the mounts), but the grill opening really isn't bigger that 4". Might just be a waste. Any thoughts on this?

Has anyone pulled the hatch speaker boxes and tried to mod the opening for a 4x6"?

John

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Well i had an 88 Supra before the i got my 97 and i had new 4 inch speakers with a sony mobile ES head unit, eq, two amps, one for internal speakers and another for my two 10 inch subs and this worked wonders!! Honestly its sooo much cheaper. The only thing is i had NO mids at all but you really dont need a lot of mids. O i also took out the spare to get my box in low enough to put my targa top over it. It was a sweet setup, my friend Nick did it all for me.

N

·
0 Posts
I have 6.5" Focal components in the doors powered by 80x2 Precision Power amp, 12" sub in hatch powered by RF 250a2. Kenwood Graphic Equalizer(full din). A shitty rockford headunit that I can't stand but have no money to replace with something better. I took out my spare(always carry the cell phone!) and have my sub and amps flushmounted and used red vinyl matching the exterior color. Targa still fits! I'd post pics, but have no digital camera at this time.

PS..... Mids are EVERYTHING!

N

·
0 Posts
Needsboost,

How'd you get 6.5" speakers in the door? Wish you had some pics.

N

·
0 Posts
Contact Thomas Kenyon. His shop made them for me. Really quite a simple design once you see the front mounting plates.

N

·
0 Posts
NeedsBoost,

Thanks. I'll give him a call.

Did you install them yourself using his moungint plates? Are they in the stock location or a different location?

N

·
0 Posts
His shop made the mounts, installed the mids and flushmounted the tweeters for $120 I think. I took the door panels off one day and looked at the mounting plates and realized I could have easily done it myself. I might have pics in a week or 2. Need to get a camera.

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah, if you get a cam, I'd really like to see those pics. I talked to Thomas' shop today and they told me they'd need the car. I live in Shreveport, so that isn't going to happen. I have 3 pairs of Infinity 40.2cs component speakers (4") coming in tomorrow that I'll be putting in on Saturday. I'll get a good look at the door panels then. I would love to get 6.5"'s in the doors, especially the Focals. I listened to them a couple of days ago and they sound fantastic! Once I figure out how to get 6.5"'s in the doors, I'll gladly replace the 4"'s.

Couple of questions:
1. Are your 6.5"'s in the door pretty much in the stock location?
2. Did they leave the stock grille cover in place? (the triangular shaped grill cover, I'm assuming that the '89 and '90 supras are the same)
3. Are your other speakers stock?

Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
nfnsquared said:

Couple of questions:
1. Are your 6.5"'s in the door pretty much in the stock location?
2. Did they leave the stock grille cover in place? (the triangular shaped grill cover, I'm assuming that the '89 and '90 supras are the same)
3. Are your other speakers stock?
1.) Yea, stock location, but the entire stock speaker enclosure is eliminated. When you have good 6.5" speakers and a decent amp you won't miss them.:)

2.) Stock grill still in place. The 89 and 90 door panels are the same.

3.) I don't have any other speakers hooked up. I did have some small Cerwin-Vega's in very back, but they were too small to handle an amp and just added distortion. All I have are the fronts, and with an amp, they are PLENTY loud.

4.) My tweeters are mounted below the triangular grille, there was a little rectangular peice with some mesh over it(dimensions 1"x2"?). This peice was removed and the whole was made a little bigger to fit the tweeter. I asked Thomas's shop to mount them on the upper part of the door panel as I have seen other MK3's like that. But for some reason this message didn't get relayed to the installers. DO NOT INSTALL THEM IN THAT RECTANGULAR PLACE! It is too low, so when you have a passenger their knees block a lot of the sound from the tweeters. Make sure you flushmount the tweeters above the triangular grill.

S

·
0 Posts
Here is what I am thinking about getting.... And since I REALY like Mids... because mids are VERY VERY VERY important in a song! cant believe someone said you dont need much mids..

well.. here it is

http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=PSD+210
in the front

http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=RSD+210
for rear

And nothing in the back.. thats stupid.

400-450$ on the speakers

Powerd by
http://www.alpine1.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html
200-220$ amp to power speakers and subs

As for the subs
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w0.html
2 of those bad asses. 8 ohm powerd by 150 watt.
200$ for both

Then this deck
http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/admn/item_info1a?p_item_name=CDA-5755&p_category=10&p_subcategory=20&p_main=10
300$

BTW, most everything will be bought off of
www.onlinecarstereo.com

Thats a prety good 1,200$ setup..
Only custom work will be the box which I will do my self, or see if my friend can get me a discout at cartoyz.

N

·
0 Posts
Obviously you've never heard Focals with a good, clean, powerful amp such as Precision Power. My friend has the same set of Focal speakers in the front of his 1991 Accord powered by the 2nd biggest Precision Power Class amp there is (100rmsX4) and that thing is so fucking loud. When people sit in the BACKSEAT(keep in mind, he has no rear speakers), they think he has a sub. When he cranks up the volume with the windows up, no one can stand it for that long. And it has the best SQ that I have ever heard before. I'm so jealous.:)

S

·
0 Posts
I have been told that Focals are better for lighter music.
Like jazz and stuff

but MB Quart excell with High volume Electronic and rock music.

but were his 4"

N

·
0 Posts
Well, he listens to hard rock like Deftones, Korn, Pennywise, etc and that acid techno stuff, like 240bpm(Beats Per Minute;) ). IT FUCKING SLAMS! I've never heard any other mids slam like his. I've sat in Thomas Kenyon's Supra and I can truly say my friend's mids puts Thomas's to shame(even though they are the same mids)(No offense Thomas:) ). Oh yea, his are 6.5" components just like mine and just like I'm recommended. You can't do shit with 4" mids unless you have soem really good enclosures.:)

S

·
0 Posts
thing is I dont want to do any custom installation of the speakers.
Because I cant do them my self, and I dont want to pay someone 100 + bucks to do it.

but I will look into it.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Juist heard that 5 1/4s can fit in the rear locations with very little mods........

What I was going to do was try and dremel the stock door boxes to fit 6 or 6 1/2 plus it shouldn't be that hard to flush mount componets....... :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts