Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Donatas asked about the feasibility of running a T-78 on an auto tranny. Matt and I chose the T-78 for the same reasons Donatas is considering it, namely capacity, quality, reilability, and exceptional value.

DISCLAIMER ! This is my feedback as a do-it-yourselfer with a good friend's (Matt) help. Professionals like Larry and others will likely have other suggestions that you can pay them to do for you.

Items to order;
1- T-78 kit, around $3500 shipped.
2- Precision Industries 4000 RPM stall torque converter, $1100 shipped.
3- Fuel system, $2100 shipped. Get a Denso pump (to add to your existing pump) and 720 injectors if you think 700 rwhp is enough for your tastes.
4- One (or even two) large B&M tranny coolers from Summit Racing, $60 each. You'll also need some hose and clamps.
5- One racing BOV, or two HKS SS BOV's with mounting flanges (choose aluminum or steel depending on mounting location).
6- Blitz 80mm stainless mid-pipe, $175 shipped. You'll then need to find someone to make an O2 sensor mounting bracket and weld it onto the mid-pipe. (If you prefer, you could have your Rod Millen DP cut and modified to take the place of this midpipe.)
7- Two gallons of Toyota ATF, and one gallon of Toyota red coolant.
8- I sent my factory valve body (tranny) to Marko (in your area, Donatas) to rework. I'm hoping this will extend the life of my almost new factory tranny. Eventually, I'll have to choose a built tranny.
9- K&N wideband O2 sensor bung, $15. This should be welded on to the top of the Greddy DP near the upper O2 sensor mount. This will be nice when tuning on a dyno.
10- EGT gauge, sensor, and manifold bung. I had my bung welded (stainless - expensive weld!) into the top of #6 on the Greddy manifold.

Other items I decided to do, but might be considered optional;
1- Permacool tranny filter kit with temp gauge, $75 from Summit.
2- Think about bigger wheels and tires.
3- Greddy catch can, $90 shipped. This will reduce the hoses needed for the new T-78, and keep the inside of your IC oil-free.
4- Full polishing of T-78 parts, $200. This includes smoothing out the annoying ridge on the outside of the cast iron turbo housing. Do this ONLY if you decide to have the snail shell ceramic coated.
5- HPC (or Jet-Hot) extreme 2600 degree coating, I did just the manifold and the cast iron snail shell. $320.
6- Remove and polish the aluminum coolant elbow. This part stands out once the T-78 is installed and looks much nicer polished. Order a new factory gasket and the two O-rings for re-install.
7- Since you're going to drop the tranny, you may want to replace your main rear engine seal at the same time. (Mine was replace a few months ago under warranty)
8- Send the Greddy steel IC elbow out to be chromed. It comes painted silver, but looks cheap to me. $40.
9- Order one or two Greddy blue filter elements, $17 each - unless you like the yellow that comes with the kit.

Since my car will have been up on jack stands for two months on this project, I recommend planning ahead to reduce your downtime. It sucks not to be able to drive my car in early Spring.

Finally, DO NOT add up what all of the above items will cost you, or you may realize that bpu isn't really that bad after all! It's much better to blindly stumble ahead into the foggy financial black hole that is always part of "Going Single Baby" ! :( :D

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

P.S. I just read my post over again. Holy Bat Crap - this is getting expensive!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
John,
Thanks a lot for a very infomative and educational post. This really answered most of the questions that I had. The only lingering question is, how bad is the lag compared to an RPS T61? The reason I am asking this, is because I like to drive my car a lot and I want it to be streetable and not feel like a Dodge Neon till it hits 4500-5000rpm. Anyways, thank you very much for an excellent post.

Donatas

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Larry and others we've spoken to - Z E R O lag with the 4000 stall. You'll launch from a pwer brake under incredible boost.

John

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not forever - probably not for long. Hence the step I listed above stating that the valve body gets a workover. This should extend the life of the stock tranny. Eventually, I will have buy and install a built tranny.

John

·
Registered
313 Posts
John and Matt...

that is some write up... very informative and full of details. what more can you ask? you've done so much for the community.

it's my turn now to do a HKS TWINS write-up!!! if anyone is interested. it aint gonna be pretty..but the out come will be very rewarding..

in the mean...keep up the good work.

teo:D

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
RSP TRD Single-T said:
According to Larry and others we've spoken to - Z E R O lag with the 4000 stall. You'll launch from a pwer brake under incredible boost.

John
You sir...are correct :)

-question for ya John....I too was thinking about the PermaCool tranny filter w/temp gauge - how's that working out for you...the price is pretty cheap on that too.

Jay

·
Registered
849 Posts
Philly Single said:

-question for ya John....I too was thinking about the PermaCool tranny filter w/temp gauge - how's that working out for you...the price is pretty cheap on that too.

Jay
I’m doing the install on john’s car.
The unit looks great aluminum mounting bracket with a place for the temp probe. We have not installed it yet but when we do we will post it. The hardest part is finding a place to put it. We think it will fit in the passenger side cavity where the stock intercooler was.

matthew

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to hear from you, Jay. The tranny filter kit was Matt's idea. Seems like a pretty cheap insurance policy, especially where I'm starting with an upgraded TC and stock tranny. As the stock tranny starts to wear under the load of the T-78, I hope to protect my TC by filtering out any "collateral damage". The filter itself is about 25% larger than an oil filter. As Matt said, the kit is high quality. As you said, it's also inexpensive.

See you next time we're both in LA!

John

Philly Single said:

Jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
RSP TRD Single-T said:
Nice to hear from you, Jay. The tranny filter kit was Matt's idea. Seems like a pretty cheap insurance policy, especially where I'm starting with an upgraded TC and stock tranny. As the stock tranny starts to wear under the load of the T-78, I hope to protect my TC by filtering out any "collateral damage". The filter itself is about 25% larger than an oil filter. As Matt said, the kit is high quality. As you said, it's also inexpensive.

See you next time we're both in LA!

John

John - that tranny filter kit sounds like a decent idea, and at only $70 or so...more insurance on the tranny/TC. Good move on your part, I was worried about your new TC eating some metal if your stock tranny let go on you. I will look into that filter kit.

As for LA - I'll be back in April I think.....

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts