Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, can a T-78 equiped car handle willow springs? is the lag too much? how about the clutch life? any one know? i wanna get into road racing but dont know where to start. help me out. im not sure if my mods are for the drag or road. i built it for the street and wanna start racing.

mods so far:
T-78
full fuel system
RPS stage III clutch
mueller light weight fly wheel
tein coil overs
power slot rotors
te-37's in 18 inch
nitto 555 tires
front and rear shock tower bars
full cage
full exhaust and intake
and other that dont matter when racing!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,224 Posts
You should be fine running around the track on low boost. It will probably just take a bit of practice to drive around the lag, but your car is going to be doing really well on tracks with long straightaways! :)

Hope you have good brakes! :D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have any idea how my radiator would act? would it cool my car enough or would i need the electric fan kit? how would it be on willow springs or laguna seca? any other helpful hints that you can give me? tire combos and spring rates?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,224 Posts
Dual electric fans actually push less CFM of air than the stock mechanical fans. If anything, you need a good radiator (Fluidyne) to help with cooling, since you are almost sure to have a FMIC on the car which detracts from it's ability to run cool...especially on repeated hard laps.

Your car might be a handful due to the spike that occurs when your power comes on. I've seen T78's spool and once they hit...they hit hard! Keep that thing pointed straight! :)

As far as tire combos and spring rates...I'm not the most helpful person to ask there...but more rubber is generally a good thing on the track when you're pitching the car into corners a lot. You could even use a stock set of rims with a set of Kumho V700 Victoracers for your tracktime events, then use another set of normal street tires for your daily driving.

smokn u said:
do you have any idea how my radiator would act? would it cool my car enough or would i need the electric fan kit? how would it be on willow springs or laguna seca? any other helpful hints that you can give me? tire combos and spring rates?
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smokn u said:
do you have any idea how my radiator would act? would it cool my car enough or would i need the electric fan kit? how would it be on willow springs or laguna seca? any other helpful hints that you can give me? tire combos and spring rates?
Try to run lower boost, maybe stay at 1 bar..... this will keep your temps lower and your car straight ;)

Remember its about corner exit speed, not topend straight away.

take care,
nils
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love road racing and recently put a T78 on my car. I haven't had the opportunity to track the car yet but i'm sure if you keep the boost down and be smooth on the gas you won't have any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Steve: Respectfully I disagree with you unless radiator fans on a DSM are that much worse than what is found on a Supra. I have a pair of SPAL fans on my Fluidyne now and its blows significantly more air than the stock fans.

smokn u: I would recommend an oil cooler if you are going to get too serious you can get a Setrab core and fab up your own hosing using Areomotive fittings. I relocated the oil filter on my DSM but I have yet to go all the way and get an oil cooler. If you are worried about detonation I would run c-16 on your with your street boost setup to make sure you aren’t running lean.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,224 Posts
Heh heh...you can disagree all you like, but many other people have reported the same thing that I said. My current car has electric fans, and they work fine for me, but I also have a Fluidyne radiator. I am guessing that there is more potential for problems if you use dual electric fans with a stock radiator.

Still, I don't have real CFM numbers to give you...so it's all talk from my end! ;)

Steve T.

rdrkt said:
Steve: Respectfully I disagree with you unless radiator fans on a DSM are that much worse than what is found on a Supra. I have a pair of SPAL fans on my Fluidyne now and its blows significantly more air than the stock fans.'.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,224 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
rdrkt said:
well here is a link to perma cool electric fans
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/products.html?[url]http://www.alamomotorsports.com/pmc_hpelectricfans.htm[/url] flow rates are listed on the page so there :p The only reason that I am so adamant is that I plan on open tracking my Talon and I think it’s a reasonable assumption that I have an adequate cooling system setup.
Steve is correct about the electric fans. The stock engine driven fan works better than electric fans for track use regardless of how many billion CFM they claim to move. I don't know if the stock fan actually moves more air, or the shrouding is more efficient, but I know numerous people who fixed overheating problems by going back to the stock fan, and don't know of anybody who fixed a problem with the stock fan by going to electric fans.

If you're running your DSM on hot track days, the only thing that seems to keep them from overheating is water spray on the radiator I used to open track a Talon and couldn't go more than about 10 minutes on a hot (90F+ day) before coolant temps would start getting too high. Bigger radiators and better fans don't seem to be a complete fix either. Make sure you get a real temperature guage (the stock gauge isn't that informative, especially on 2Gs), and slow down if you hit 225-230F+, because you will warp the head and/or blow the head gasket. RRE has a lot of experience with the issue and can probably give you more information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Steve's right!!

My electric fans ran the car only slightly hotter on the street, but managed to open my radiator like a clam shell due to a faulty fuse which melted and spike my temps and pressure. I went back to stock fans and never looked back . Cooler temps and more reliable.

-TY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Eric said:


Steve is correct about the electric fans. The stock engine driven fan works better than electric fans for track use regardless of how many billion CFM they claim to move. I don't know if the stock fan actually moves more air, or the shrouding is more efficient, but I know numerous people who fixed overheating problems by going back to the stock fan, and don't know of anybody who fixed a problem with the stock fan by going to electric fans.

If you're running your DSM on hot track days, the only thing that seems to keep them from overheating is water spray on the radiator I used to open track a Talon and couldn't go more than about 10 minutes on a hot (90F+ day) before coolant temps would start getting too high. Bigger radiators and better fans don't seem to be a complete fix either. Make sure you get a real temperature guage (the stock gauge isn't that informative, especially on 2Gs), and slow down if you hit 225-230F+, because you will warp the head and/or blow the head gasket. RRE has a lot of experience with the issue and can probably give you more information.

I have the Spal fans/fluidyne setup along w/ HKS oil cooler and am going to get the damn thing to work if it kills me. However, recommending someone to go through what I am going through....stay w/ stock fans. I'll be trying out Evanscooling as well. I may do the Setrab oil cooler bit as an aux radiator too.
At this point the car runs hot but does not boil. Next time out on the track will be with all this crap...I'll post how it does. Summer is the real test.:(
100-10+ degrees on the track, baby!

"Changing from stock does not (always) make it better."
If only I was smart enough to really understand this.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top