Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic goes around all the time, but anyone out there running this set up? There is a guy in PA that has been running this setup( a couple of months now) on wastegate spring pressure(14-15 PSI) and everyone that has been in the car says it is very strong and doesn't have boost creep. Any input would be great. Please no "get a fuel system" comments. I well aware of needing extra fuel for a big turbo. I just wanted and feed back from people that maybe have had the turbo on stock fuel before getting the fuel upgrades or are still running stock fuel.

TIA

-TY

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ty,
I am running the T78 kit and stock fuel system. So far I am very happy with it. Awesome top end power and very streetable, even with my auto. I keep close tabs on EGT's and try not to boost over 1.0 bar on the street. However, I have boosted as high as 1.5 bar with 114 octane race fuel while racing. The car ran like a MF:)
As for future upgrades, I will be going dual MAF, afc, and fuel system w/ 720-860cc injectors. Oh and big stall.
Good luck
SH
T78

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
1.5 bar with a T78 and stock fuel!!!!

You're not playing with fire but you're in it. I know of someone who ran a T78 on stock fuel. Let's just say that he is driving a SUV now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Houston,

Have you ever dynoed the car @ 1.0 bar?
I have seen a dyno for a T88 @ 1.0 bar and he put down 488RWHP.

Also the stock fuel system should be enough for the T-78 at 1.0 bar if it can deal with
the T-88 (@1.00 bar) that is supposed to flow ~20% more air, right?

-TY

P

·
0 Posts
thats completely stupid...
why not run a smaller turbo that spools fast and will be safe to run on stock fuel, like sp57 or ts04

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brent,

Yes it's stupid. Thanks. Do you have a single?

The question I posted was for the guys who ran or run a "big" turbo on stock fuel until they got the fuel upgrade.

Small turbos are fine, but most everyone that goes with the small single upgrades sooner or later and ends up buy a new turbo for around a grand.This is on top of the price of the first turbo and the fuel system.

Ok, does anyone have a T-78 on stock fuel or any other fuel system that dynoed at 1 bar ?

-TY

A

·
0 Posts
I have stock fuel and a T78, but am planning on adding enrichment via alcohol injection soon. Right now I am at 12psi. Hope to stay with stock fuel (except damper bypass which is done). 450HP worth of gasoline and 200HP worth of alcohol is what I am shooting for at about 20-23psi.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anarkey,

Do you you run spring pressure or a boost controller? Any problems with your current setup? Is the power good compared to BPU+?

TIA

-TY

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mani....boohoo:(
Thanks for caring man but I run the car on the edge, but not over it, the car runs fine at 1.5 bar on race gas.

Poweraddict: shut the fuck up.....do you have a T78 and stock fuel...didn't thnk so. I think it's funny how SOME people think they are experts on other people's setup or what they are running. Like they drive the car!

TY: I am going to dyno soon, I would like to know what the car is putting down on 1.0-1.5 on race gas. The T88 is capable of flowing about 35% more air than the T78.

SH
T78 w/ stock fuel Biiiaaatch!!!;)

P

·
0 Posts
hehe ok, you guys can put that laggy bitch on while it produces no more power then the smaller turbo. And then when you have a boost spike or run just a little too much boost, go ahead and blow your shit up.

I dont think im an expert and never claimed to be...all i said was its stupid... and it is... I never called anyone stupid...

so u can kiss my ass :cool:

P

·
0 Posts
You can run the upgrade until you get stock fuel...but damn just keep saving and get it all done at once...so you dont risk it..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Houston,

Sweet, let me know what you put down. Email me some pics if you have them of your set-up.

Poweraddict,

Why are you posting on this thread? I asked for T-78 owners opinions and facts. I didn't ask for a turbo comparision. Please read the first post next time.

-TY

A

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the latest edition of:

Just go spend more money cause we say so!

A T78 and stock fuel will work fine, just be cautious and don't push the limits. I think 1.5 bar might be going far, but if he knows he isn't knocking, he is fine.

Also, what's with boost spike fears? Boost spikes happen because of a wastegate being too small for a application. Greddy was nice enough to give us a wastegate that can handle the T78 without a problem. Maybe if you use a crappy EBC it could happen, but I have NEVER had a boost spike on any turbo car I have ever had (had 4, all in various levels of upgrades). Why? Because I use a wastegate system that is properly sized, a manual method of boost control, and am very careful setting it up. When I floor my car it hits 12psi right now, and does not go a hair past that, ever. If I turn the knob a bit, I set it to 12.5psi, or 14.5, whatever I want. No spikes.

I have replaced the spring in the wastegate BTW with the lower tension one. That's a different post.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
AnArKey said:
...A T78 and stock fuel will work fine,...
Welcome to the latest edition of:
The AnArKey engine replacement fund.

Boost spikes happen because of a wastegate being too small for a application.
Actually, boost spikes happen anytime spoolup is quicker than the wastegate/boost controler combo can bleed off exhaust gas. There is no guarantee that the GReddy wastegate with boost controller brand "X" will 100% prevent a boost spike.

I have replaced the spring in the wastegate BTW with the lower tension one. That's a different post.
I wonder why you felt the need to reduce the tension of the wastegate spring? Do you have better boost control now than before? I thought your boost control was already perfect!?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
pwpanas said:
I wonder why you felt the need to reduce the tension of the wastegate spring? Do you have better boost control now than before? I thought your boost control was already perfect!?
ughhh because the spring they give you in the greddy wastegate is only adj from 1.1 bar onto like 1.4 or so. the softer yellow spring lets you take it down to .8.

A

·
0 Posts
Be careful doing this guys, as my T78 at 1.0 kg/cm2 dynos at 500 + at the rear tires and that is really pushing it on stock fuel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would not run the T-78 on stock fuel. I had my duty cycle set a bit high(75%) on the AVC-R and boost spiked to 1.9 bar. It was a good thing that I had the fuel system done at the same time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts