Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get feedback from the guy who are running the t-88. is your car auto or 6spd, and how you like it? Any ups or downs? anything else you would like to add? fuel? no fuel?

2 RIP

·
666 Posts
Unless your shooting for like 800~RWHP and want to build a race motor then it might be Ok, other than that a T-78 would be good for a street car and will make over 700RWHP w/ cams, Fuel and tuning. The T-88 will have awful lag and isn't recommend for the street.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: T-88 guys, feedback please.

MADMKIV said:
Unless your shooting for like 800~RWHP and want to build a race motor then it might be Ok, other than that a T-78 would be good for a street car and will make over 700RWHP w/ cams, Fuel and tuning. The T-88 will have awful lag and isn't recommend for the street.
Thanks for the info. I trying to get info. from ppl that are running the turbo currently.

2 RIP
thanks tho.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the t88 is for pretty much str8 drag for purposes, and dont plan on running auto with it, you'll need a 6 spd at the least or a built transmission probably may want to consider small shot of nos to get it goin.the t78 is still a lil big imo and i believe that this turbo will perform better with a 6 spd than an auto. however, if you are limiting yourself between these 2 kits, i would say get the t78.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aznsupra said:
the t88 is for pretty much str8 drag for purposes, and dont plan on running auto with it, you'll need a 6 spd at the least or a built transmission probably may want to consider small shot of nos to get it goin.the t78 is still a lil big imo and i believe that this turbo will perform better with a 6 spd than an auto. however, if you are limiting yourself between these 2 kits, i would say get the t78.
Thanks for the info. I trying to get info. from ppl that are running the turbo currently.

2 RIP

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
2 RIP said:

2 RIP
I use to run one...in my old 6spd. While I loved the top-end of it - the lag was unbearable for me. To really get it off the line would require 7k++ launches, that eat clutches (save the $3,000 Tilton) and snap drive shafts. Ara is the only guy I know who is really taking advantage of that turbo - runs 9.7's NO nitrous, he actually, said that he's,"running out of turbo"....wow.

Anyway - Mine would spool around 4400rpm, by 5k, all HELL would break loose - it would pull to 7500rpm or more. I had the normal stuff, fuel system, all electronics...etc...if you're looking for a "big" turbo - try the T78 or even T/SP66...just my thoughts.

The T88 really would take a long time to get to 4k rpms - that was my biggest problem with it...

Jay

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ara uses the T78.

He once posted this on the list:
"Unless you have some sort of a stand alone engine management system and a good clutch setup, a T88 is too big of a turbo for 1/4 mile racing. You would be much better off with a T78. "

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
I have a T88 and I love it. In 4th, w/ boost set at 1.4 bar, I get positive boost by 2600rpm, .6 bar at 4000rpm and 1.4 bar at 4500rpm. I have no problems driving around w/ this turbo and anyone who's ever gone for a ride has asked where the lag was.
It is a little big for the 1/4. This is more of a 1000m turbo. It's just starting to stretch its legs by the end of the 1/4. If you're planning on drag racing a lot I'd recommend at least a 2-step and maybe some nitrous.
I would definitely do a fuel system upgrade w/ a T88. If you don't want to do fuel then go w/ a smaller turbo.
Good luck.
Scott

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fledis said:
I have a T88 and I love it. In 4th, w/ boost set at 1.4 bar, I get positive boost by 2600rpm, .6 bar at 4000rpm and 1.4 bar at 4500rpm. I have no problems driving around w/ this turbo and anyone who's ever gone for a ride has asked where the lag was.
It is a little big for the 1/4. This is more of a 1000m turbo. It's just starting to stretch its legs by the end of the 1/4. If you're planning on drag racing a lot I'd recommend at least a 2-step and maybe some nitrous.
I would definitely do a fuel system upgrade w/ a T88. If you don't want to do fuel then go w/ a smaller turbo.
Good luck.
Scott
thanks for the info. Hey, what rims are those on your car.

2 RIP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts