Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks -

(Note: this is also posted over on ModernMuscle)

I'm running the default a/r on my T04R setup of .96 - I'm really not all that down on the spool characteristics, *but* if I coud pick up a little bottom end for not much top end sacrifice (and not much $$$) I'd be up for it!

Someone told me there's a .81 a/r housing I can get? Anyone know the source for this? I was told making this change would be relatively cheap?

The car is going in for a few updates - cams, new EBC, some additional polished parts so this would be great time to do this (if it makes sense)

Thanks!

DT

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
DT, hey man. Let me tell you my personal opinion on this. I (OPINION) think that anything bigger than a 0.7 a/r is a waste for our motor. I do think that with a bigger a/r you will pick up peak hp but at the sacrifice of spool (i.e. LESS area under the curve). I can tell you one thing for sure, you will see lots of TOP DOG supras SOON running the 0.70 a/r with BIG turbos. I for one would rather give up 20 peak rwhp if i could have more area under the curve in my useful RPM range. So my suggestion would be to swap to a smaller turbine housing. I think you'll get a bit less lag, probably make a bit less PEAK hp, but overall will have more area under the curve...
Peter

·
Registered
166 Posts
houstonT said:
I (OPINION) think that anything bigger than a 0.7 a/r is a waste for our motor.
a/r is not an all-encompasing value. its only one of several factors that define a given turbos capabilities. so stating that 'anything bigger than a .7 is a waste' is without meaning.

regards,
j

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Pete -

Do you know what over a/r housings are available for the T04R? The other I know of is a .81 which I know a couple of guys are running.

Thanks -

DT

houstonT said:
DT, hey man. Let me tell you my personal opinion on this. I (OPINION) think that anything bigger than a 0.7 a/r is a waste for our motor.

Peter

N

·
0 Posts
nils said:
DT,
Check out this page:
http://www.to4r.com/images/to4r_AR.jpg

There is a .81 a/r housing and can be easily installed, I believe it is around $250.00 - 350.00.

Jimmy P ran the .81 and saw a lpeak oss of around 30hp and gained around 200 rpm's

take care,
nils
"Jimmy P ran the .81 and saw a peak loss of around 30hp and gained around 200 rpm's"

that is what I meant to say....
take care,

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
rusty - please reread the my post. I meant it as an opinion only, trust me, i'm VERY well aware that there are MANY factors to consider when choosing a turbo, but i can tell you that a/r does play a big role in lag and power output.

DT - from what i gather the .81 and .96 are the only 2 sizes available for the to4r. Nils would know better than i would, he is officially the to4r master!
:)
Peter

G

·
0 Posts
Just like I was saying... Scrap the Profec for an EZ, get the 264 cams and go with the .81 or with a similar sized turbo with a .70 exh. a/r (T-66/70)

·
Registered
608 Posts
The housing i ran was the .84 not the .81 you will hit full boost with out cams at 4000 with the .84. At the track i picked up mph in the 1/8 but lost the same amount at the top. If you want to buy my .84 with the flange welded on already i will sell you mine for 200.00.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Peter, What a/r did you go with on the t72? What power will that turbo make? Thanks,also what clutch are you going with? The c/c again>

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Jimmy, hey man! I am going with the 0.70 a/r on the T72. It should make 730 rwhp on boost alone with a BROAD hp curve and a bit over 800 on NOS. I do NOT have a clutch yet but it looks like it's gonna be the c/c again.
Peter
p.s. you coming to TX2K2, right?

jimmyP said:
Peter, What a/r did you go with on the t72? What power will that turbo make? Thanks,also what clutch are you going with? The c/c again>

N

·
0 Posts
jimmyP said:
The housing i ran was the .84 not the .81 you will hit full boost with out cams at 4000 with the .84. At the track i picked up mph in the 1/8 but lost the same amount at the top. If you want to buy my .84 with the flange welded on already i will sell you mine for 200.00.
Oops... Sorry Jimmy. I nearly had it right ;)
Sounds like a good deal, you didnt have it on the car for very long, right?

take care,
nils

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks peter i may get that turbo this year depending on what the to4r runs. jOE HAS that clutch and likes it but im not sure hOw it would hold up to some hard 60fts. i WILL BE DRIVING HIS T51R WITH IT THIS WEEK AND WILL SEE HOW IT IS. Keep us posted on your car. I would like to come to txo2 but not good dates for me. Whats up nils? That .84 is good for the street but did not run fast at the track, not like the .96 last time out with about 26psi it went 10.60 at 136 but the hks tripple slipped early on so i had to back down the boost and the two step. That tripple does not like 1.5 60fts or the heat so i hope to get something soon,take it easy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
different A/R

I recently purchase the 0.84 housing from [email protected]. I had my eyes set on the .81 housing at the beginning. After I place the order Chris told me the next day the the price is ~$630!!! I called HKS and they confirmed the MSRP of $820. HKS head sales could give me an explaination why the 0.84 is $135 and the 0.81 is $820. I remembered that the 0.81 used to be $135 as well. HKS took the 0.81 out of their catalog because of the price. Since that's the price HKS Japan give HKS USA, that's the price that will be sold.... Anyway, the 0.84 is dual chamber design, maybe it can make up the spool time compared to the single chamber 0.81.

I was also told that I do not need to weld a T04 flange to the new exhaust housing because the flange is already on it? I asked HKS about the T04 flange and the representative replied that it's used to mount T04 turbos on custom headers. So my question is, do I need the T04 flange to change out 0.96 to 0.84?

Anyone tried 0.7?

Thanks in advance,

--Joey

·
Registered
608 Posts
My .84 did not come with the flange i had to get it to work with my down pipe then had to get it welded. I think it was around 130-.

N

·
0 Posts
Re: different A/R

NA2TT said:
I recently purchase the 0.84 housing from [email protected]. I had my eyes set on the .81 housing at the beginning. After I place the order Chris told me the next day the the price is ~$630!!! I called HKS and they confirmed the MSRP of $820. HKS head sales could give me an explaination why the 0.84 is $135 and the 0.81 is $820. I remembered that the 0.81 used to be $135 as well. HKS took the 0.81 out of their catalog because of the price. Since that's the price HKS Japan give HKS USA, that's the price that will be sold.... Anyway, the 0.84 is dual chamber design, maybe it can make up the spool time compared to the single chamber 0.81.

I was also told that I do not need to weld a T04 flange to the new exhaust housing because the flange is already on it? I asked HKS about the T04 flange and the representative replied that it's used to mount T04 turbos on custom headers. So my question is, do I need the T04 flange to change out 0.96 to 0.84?

Anyone tried 0.7?

Thanks in advance,

--Joey
Joey,
Call Gabe at HKS USA... I dunno the phone number but it is on their site. Gabe and I talked about this and as a result I made this page on my site:

Any exhaust housings that are bought seperatly will require the flange adapter. If you buy the to4r with .84 as a kit you wont need the adapter.

Hope that helps.
take care,
nils

J

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: different A/R

nils said:

Joey,
Call Gabe at HKS USA... I dunno the phone number but it is on their site. Gabe and I talked about this and as a result I made this page on my site:

Any exhaust housings that are bought seperatly will require the flange adapter. If you buy the to4r with .84 as a kit you wont need the adapter.

Hope that helps.
take care,
nils
Nils
Would you care to give me an idea how a T04 R .96 A/R compare with .84 A/R and .81 A/R in terms of spooling .Also can you enlighten me what is a To4 R cut back turbo??

N

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: different A/R

jwkc said:

Nils
Would you care to give me an idea how a T04 R .96 A/R compare with .84 A/R and .81 A/R in terms of spooling .Also can you enlighten me what is a To4 R cut back turbo??
Jimmy P. and Roger M. are the only guys I know of states side that have run or are running a smaller exhaust housing. I kind of got the impression from Jimmy that he wasnt too happy with the smaller exhaust housing, atleast not for the 1/4 mile. Roger seems happy with his set up, he is on to4r.com.

Compare Rogers and my dyno sheets etc....

take care,
nils

·
One Fast Supra
560 Posts
DT said:
Howdy Folks -

(Note: this is also posted over on ModernMuscle)

I'm running the default a/r on my T04R setup of .96 - I'm really not all that down on the spool characteristics, *but* if I coud pick up a little bottom end for not much top end sacrifice (and not much $$$) I'd be up for it!

Someone told me there's a .81 a/r housing I can get? Anyone know the source for this? I was told making this change would be relatively cheap?

The car is going in for a few updates - cams, new EBC, some additional polished parts so this would be great time to do this (if it makes sense)

Thanks!

DT
How many lbs of boost did you run for the 587 rwhp? What does your dyno graph look like. I was able to make 586rwhp when I had the TO4R on my car at 22lbs and was very happy with the response. i know that you are looking for the car to be more of a road race car so the .81 should be a good set up for your car. I am going to take the T72 off and put the TO4R back on since I daily drive my car and would like a little more low end. Good luck with your car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts