Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cost of setting up a t3/4 turbo on a MK3 vs a CT26 Upgrade cost. Are the T3/4 turbos worth the money, and have they proven to put down more HP than the CT upgrades?

Dollar for Dollar

Dominic

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
$1300 T3/T4 supposedly supports 500rwhp but I have yet to see anyone put down that much. Seems around 400-450rwhp is common. They will definitely put down more then the CT-26, but at almost three times the price the question of value is up to you.

$450 CT-26 60 trim commonly puts down almost 400rwhp with a few people going over 400rwhp.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid $800 for the turbo alone. Another $100 for the oil lines (dry housing) About a hundred for misc. I haven't dynoed, but I'm pretty happy w/ my set-up.

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
Damn y'all got some high prices. I got my T04E for $650 (plus core of old CT 26) and it is well worth it. I don't know HPs yet, but you can feel the difference for real.

B
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howie said:
Damn y'all got some high prices. I got my T04E for $650 (plus core of old CT 26) and it is well worth it. I don't know HPs yet, but you can feel the difference for real.
are you talking about a CT26 upgrade? You got ripped off if so, since you paid 650 AND had to supply a core.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bishop92T said:
$1300 T3/T4 supposedly supports 500rwhp but I have yet to see anyone put down that much. Seems around 400-450rwhp is common. They will definitely put down more then the CT-26, but at almost three times the price the question of value is up to you.

$450 CT-26 60 trim commonly puts down almost 400rwhp with a few people going over 400rwhp.
1300 - 450 = 850$ for 50 more HP does not seem worth it.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
hmmm? I got quoted 650$ here at a local place in Tampa, but I told the guy about the Performance Techniques going for ~500$, and he dropped down to 550$, which I dont think is to bad considering shipping back and forth to PT...

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
:stupid: i would like to do a t3/t4 upgrade and if u can tell me where u got ur turbo from i would be happy to pay 500 bucks for a new turbo... pm me if u'de like :D

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Yes, but.....

No one ever mentions turbine housing cracking on CT-26s. Most of the seasoned CT-26s I've seen removed have at least some degree of cracking, esp in proximity to the wastegate flapper. This seems to occur, modded or not...but I believe that high flowing them exacerbates this condition.

Despite being modded to flow more, running 3x stock boost creates much more heat than stock, backpressure or not. At any rate, there are degress of severity, & most CT-26s still run for quite awhile, even cracked.

My own modded '89 CT-26 serves as just anopthr example. It was perfect when it was modded. A cpl yrs later, small cracks were discovered. It is still in srvc*, & continues to work, but for how long?

edit: *in Nick S' MkIII

In the end, although I loved the way the modded CT-26 drove, I would opt for a setup not bereft of bottomline reliability. YMMV.

This is simply MNSHO, so if you disagree, that's fine. I understand that there will be plenty of Billy-Joe-Jim-Bobs out there who've run 450rwhp on modded CT-26s for 18 yrs, & nuthin ever went wrong. Cheers to the lot of you!
;)

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
FYI the prices I quoted were for 100% bolt on stuff. If you want to buy a T3/T4 from ebay and make your own oil lines and fiddle with custom modifying stuff to fit then yeah you can get it cheaper. I'm lazy and just want a turbo I can bolt on and go :)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Cassio, who did you talk to in tampa? was it Charlie at CMR turbos or what? My turbo is about ready to crap out... and id REALLY like to get a T61 and mount it on top of the T4 MAXX adaptor...

can someone show me or link me this SP61GT? Is it supposed to be a bolt on solution or do i need the adaptor or new manifold or what?

Im with Bish on this one... I like bolting and not having to fab up stuff...

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I dont want to highjack the thread, but on a similar topic ,Does the turbo MR2 ct26 have the same exhaust flange as the MK3 ct 26? I mean where the elbow bolts onto the turbo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts