Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking for a drivetrain that would work for me, i have considered the T-56 transmissions. With this tranny, I would not need to go with the 6 speed rear end, but the question is, can this tranny handle 800rwhp for long?

This is the last piece to my puzzle for my setup, and I just can't decide what to do.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
the t-56 from a viper is supposed to be a rock hard trans .....a t-56 from a cobra is good too but the viper tranny is stronger

·
Registered
159 Posts
A T56 is still a T56, so whether it's from a Viper or a Cobra, the bellhousing can be changed. Vipers have stronger internals and have slightly different gearing. Keep in mind, you can buy a cheap GM T56 and have it rebuilt with Viper or stronger internals. A few Cobra guys also swapped to a Viper transmission, so I wouldn't think there would be a problem with bolt patterns.

I don't think any stock T56 will reliably hold 800hp; rebuilt ones will. I don't know much about the Vipers T56s though, but their output shafts are much stronger than others. t56rebuilds/ SixSpeedInc are a pretty common rebuilder for the transmissions and as per the ls1tech faq:
"Q: How much horsepower will a rebuild with your parts hold?

A: If you use the carbon blocker rings, billet keys and bronze fork pads, we have been making 700rwhp and 700rwtq for 2 plus years without a failure. The blocker rings are designed to wear so there is a possibility you will need to replace those but that depends on how many miles you drive and how much hard play you do."

[T56] may be a strong enough transmission, but honestly if you have the funds to make 800HP, I wouldn't cheap out on the drivetrain. I'd just go v160.

This website has gear ratios, measurements, etc:
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
This might be a dumb question, so does the T-56 bolt up to the 2j or do you need to machine a adapter plate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why wouldn't you need the 6 speed rear? I am only asking because based on quite a few threads I have read lately the auto rear will not hold up to a manual tranny. Again, I have no 1st hand experience just passing on some info. here is a thread:
http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,1208.0.html

Regarding the T56 I believe a built up one will hold up to 800hp. Even a stock one will handle it for a while, then I believe you will eventually blow up 3rd gear.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking about the gearing.

But you are right, the 6 speed rear is inherently stronger due to the lower ratio. Don't know if ring gear's are the same size, but the teeth would be much larger on the 6 speed.

Could always get the gears cryo'd, I know that helps out quite a bit. Bobby long will do a set of like $35.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
So your gonna cheap out on the trans and rear which might eventually wind up costing you more than double what you saved when something brakes and you do the v-160 anyway .....who the hell puts a t-56 in a supra anyway ? ive never heard of that .......its like building your motor up to the max and then using factory head studs cuz you couldnt afford the arp's ....your better off doing it once the right way .....certain things you can cheap out on in life (cereal , dish soap , salt , tires on you daily driver , socks ,gas for your dd ,mushrooms , maybee a watch for work , ect.) others you cant ( olive oil ,meat , coffee , oatmeal ,shoes, condoms , and most importantly : CAR PARTS ) just do the right thing

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
who said the T56 is cheap.

The acutual transmission swaps are only a $400 difference.

There are other factors involved like gear ratio. You pretty much have to go 6 speed rear end because of the V160 ratios, and has anybody tried cryo treatment yet? I know this is common practice in the 4x4 community, and it has really helped out.

After some reasearch, it looks as if the T56 if built right, could be stronger than the V160, and the cost of that, would actually be about the same price along with the conversion adator. The V160's are getting harder and harder to come by, and eventually I think the T56 will be a great alterative.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
who said the T56 is cheap.

The acutual transmission swaps are only a $400 difference.

There are other factors involved like gear ratio. You pretty much have to go 6 speed rear end because of the V160 ratios, and has anybody tried cryo treatment yet? I know this is common practice in the 4x4 community, and it has really helped out.

After some reasearch, it looks as if the T56 if built right, could be stronger than the V160, and the cost of that, would actually be about the same price along with the conversion adator. The V160's are getting harder and harder to come by, and eventually I think the T56 will be a great alterative.
TKO-900 FTW !

.....certain things you can cheap out on in life (cereal , dish soap , salt , tires on you daily driver , socks ,gas for your dd ,mushrooms , maybee a watch for work , ect.) others you cant ( olive oil ,meat , coffee , oatmeal ,shoes, condoms , and most importantly : CAR PARTS ) just do the right thing
ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
66 Posts
The TKO900 is not any stronger than a built up T56. I know because I have the annihilated 3rd gear sitting on my bookshelf to prove it. :) I was at about 700rwhp 720rwtq when it blew. Not only that but it is only a 5 speed. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just another thing to consider if you don't want the double-overdrive the T56 offers: G-force sells aftermarket gear setups if you wanted more useable gears.

Also, according to their website: the street upgrade kit with optional mainshafts "have the ability to handle approximately 900* horsepower and 800 ft-lb. of torque depending on the application."

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
The TKO900 is not any stronger than a built up T56. I know because I have the annihilated 3rd gear sitting on my bookshelf to prove it. :) I was at about 700rwhp 720rwtq when it blew. Not only that but it is only a 5 speed. :(
Did you post about this on turbomustangs dot com ?

Show us the carnage.

I only want a 5spd anyway.
Thats a shame about the 900. I thought for sure it would hold more. I have a friend with a 600 thats been abusing the snot out of it for two years with 640hp. Sidesteps the clutch all the time.

I have heard about the T56's holding decent power though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah I posted about it. IT is in the project log. Not sure if posted pics though. I can take some though and post it up.

The 900 is a good tranny. I broke it being an idiot and showing off on the freeway. My regular TKO broke while under power in 3rd gear on the freeway.
1st gear should handle everything, just don't sidestep in 3rd. LMAO.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
yeah I posted about it. IT is in the project log. Not sure if posted pics though. I can take some though and post it up.

The 900 is a good tranny. I broke it being an idiot and showing off on the freeway. My regular TKO broke while under power in 3rd gear on the freeway.
1st gear should handle everything, just don't sidestep in 3rd. LMAO.
Defanatly post some pix. I have heard of one person that blew out third in a v160 doing the same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts