Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at pm-performance dynographs i decided that i wanted a larger compressor wheel so i could make power with less PSI. I was previously sold on a 61mm turbo. I want to run pump gas, not alot of race gas. Any one running a 66-67mm compressor wheel. I spoke with a rep at a big turbo shop and he told me that the lag would be mabyee 300 rpm difference. To me the ability to make more power offsets the difference in lag. Comments please.

~scott

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
how much power are you looking.. cams and that turbo will put near 450-500 whp on 18 or so psi.. its capable..

I have the 67.. at 9 psi it hits it at like 4000-4200 on the dyno.. after i fix my clutch master cyl i'll see where it hits at like 16-18 psi.. if my laptop doesn't die on me :sadance:

The engine needs to REV to make power.. its only 2.5L of air every rev.. so to make power it needs to rev to flow the air = cams.... look at erics dynos.. 50+whp (iirc) peak at same psi just by cams..

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Again just because the turbo is bigger doesnt mean you will make more on pump. It just means you will make the power at a lower PSI.
Race gas use is relative to power and ping, not the amount of boost.

The 67 is a bad ass turbo though. I ran one already on my last project. I will deff be stepping up once I get sick of this 61. But its got another 100-150 whp in it. Trust me

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my goal is 450 rwhp on pump gas. i redid my turbo math today and here is what i came up with. feel free do discuss with me for some reason i never get sick of these turbo sizing discussions.

According to my math the 1j requires 52.7 lb/min of air to make 500 fwhp
This translates into 23.8 psi (above atmospheric)
which inturn makes a pressure ratio of 2.812

the gt4088, and t66 seem to work perfectly with these #s however. Is 23 psi safe at this power level on pump gas. discuss.

~scott

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I wouldn't do it on pump alone. I'd look into water injector or meth injection if you want to go that high on pump.

- Chris

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill look into ethanol kits and what not, meth seems to damage shit. I see u have a 67mm how was it on ur 2.5L block?

~scott

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
holy 3.0L batman! that is with a .68 hotside thats a rough deal on a 2.5 L

~scott

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
gt4082!!!

hahaha... j/k

seriously though, you need to run a higher octance at elevated boost levels, or timing gets pulled. I'd say 18psi is doable on CALI 91 pump, but not really safe. Throw in some 100octance, and you'll get some timing back, and bring up those HP figures.

One thing I would say about lag though, it sucks off the line....but it's nice by third gear...

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I'd stay with a T61. You'll enjoy the response. The 67 sucks on the 1JZ on the street IMO.

·
Registered
979 Posts
how much are these turbos and where do you buy em...
id like to get a 61 on my 1jz and a 67 on my lexus.....is that asking too much?
:)

id also like to know what front and rear ar's everyone is running
Jeff

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MattOneDime said:
<-- 448 whp on pump on a PT61 at 18lbs

Your goal is not too hard to get to

was this on a car with standalone!

~scott

·
6,015 Posts
Scott, I made 450 easy on pump on my set up. I just didnt post the numbers because they werent my highest. On my weak ass tuning set up i did it on like 21-22 psi. Now with timing control that can be done pretty easy on 18 psi IMO.

Again it more has to do with power levels then boost levels. I run 94 daily so 450 or so on pump isnt really pushing it too bad.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
probably before 4000 rpm.

~scott

·
6,015 Posts
I can tell you now on stock cams you see full boost no matter what the level by 4k. It sounds like alot, but once you hit full boost your gone from there. If you know how to shift it will stay in boost between shifts. IMO a little tighter gearing would help it out. But honestly. Its a blast on the streets and highway is a joke. I can just dump it down a gear and be ghost real quick. Its pretty sick. If your ever in my area, lmk, Ill take you for a ride

LIke I said the 67mm is an awesome turbo. IMO its even better if you can rev. On my ITR I had a 9200-9400 rev band. So a 67 was disgusting on my car. I had over 5k rpms of pure sickening power. Ill see if I can find a pump gas dyno from that thing. It would have pulled much higher if I reved it out more

·
Registered
979 Posts
PM...do you have a 61 now?...and making 450 conservative on pump and 21 psi and stock cams?....
sounds like exactly what im looking for......
where are you buying your turbos?
thanks
Jeff

1 - 20 of 56 Posts