Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this 94 supra. It has a VPC/GCC and according to the wideband I put in it, it is off the charts rich under boost so I took it to the dyno to try and tune it. Plus I wanted a starting point before I start modifying it.

Dyno run was made with a mix of 91 and 101 octane because I was going to turn the boost up on the dyno. Boost was at 1.3bar for these pulls. The graph shows 3rd gear only. In first gear the car is rather lean while the boost builds and the fuel pressure regulator waits for the boost to raise the fuel pressure. For that reason I was unable to lean out 3rd gear anymore because I didn't want to cause more problems for 1st gear.

The first pull was off the street, last pull is after tuning with the GCC. I was hoping for higher numbers at 1.3bar but this is my starting point. I plan to have boost logic build the tranny very soon along with a 3800 stall.

Here is a rundown of the car:

Turbo System
WOTM race header, Tial wastegate, Turbonetics T72, HKS large FMIC

Stock 2JZ-GTE motor, compression 154-157 psi
Titan Motorsports Billet Adjustable Cam Gears
HKS VPC/GCC piggy back
Boost Logic Billet Crank Dampener Pulley

WOTM Fuel System with 750cc injectors
4" HKS Titanium Cat-back Exhaust, WOTM 4inch DP and midpipe
Stock Toyota Automatic, stock converter

·
Boost Junkie
12,641 Posts
Trent,

YOu have a lot of room for improvement. Check your PMs. Nice numbers though for running so rich and for having to let off at 6800. With that sized turbo and cams you'd probably see 30 more whp or so at the same RPMS and power would still be climbing.

Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I bought the car that way knowing I would upgrade quickly. I've only had it 2 weeks. The T72 won't hurt anything as long as you leave the boost knob alone. :)

The person who had it before me definitely must have turned it up a few times because the shifts are really slow on the dyno, it was hitting the limiter on the shifts (not tire spin related).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trent,

YOu have a lot of room for improvement. Check your PMs. Nice numbers though for running so rich and for having to let off at 6800. With that sized turbo and cams you'd probably see 30 more whp or so at the same RPMS and power would still be climbing.
Steve
Thanks a lot steve, I appreciate you helping me out. I hope my car can be similiar to yours when I am done. As for the 6800 rpm, I wasn't letting out, that is when the car decided to shift into OD. :(

The next few weeks I plan on:

BL auto
3800 stall
AEM ECU, 3.5bar map
Rebuild head, (valve seals are shit)
Maybe cams, but not sure if it is in the budget this time around...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went to the track this weekend, even "brake boosting" the car doesn't hit boost until the 100ft mark, best 60ft was 2.52 and best ET was 13.7 @ 117 LMAO.

I did win my class though. The worst part was some toothless hillbilly slammed the door of his pinto into my passenger side door when we were in the staging lanes. Dented my door and cracked the paint.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
went to the track this weekend, even "brake boosting" the car doesn't hit boost until the 100ft mark, best 60ft was 2.52 and best ET was 13.7 @ 117 LMAO.

I did win my class though. The worst part was some toothless hillbilly slammed the door of his pinto into my passenger side door when we were in the staging lanes. Dented my door and cracked the paint.
Damn hillbillies!!! You think brake boosting your car is hard try a 76mm turbo with a stock tranny..

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I just noticed you did not say you were going to upgrade the fuel system.. 750cc injectors? What are your power goals?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just noticed you did not say you were going to upgrade the fuel system.. 750cc injectors? What are your power goals?
sorry, I thought I included that. it already has a full WOTM fuel system with 750cc injectors. I am not sure how much power they support but I was hoping for 800rwhp MAX.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
sorry, I thought I included that. it already has a full WOTM fuel system with 750cc injectors. I am not sure how much power they support but I was hoping for 800rwhp MAX.

Can someone chime in and tell us how far you can go with 750cc injectors? Everyone I know use 880cc and above...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I will probably need bigger injectors, I think the 750 cc's are only good to about 700-750hp.

I have no clue on how much the 750cc's can handle. Maybe a vendor can chime in and tell us the whp limits of all the injectors..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when I get home I will post a link to a calculator you can use to determine approximate hp levels given Various BSFC's (brake specific fuel consumption) and injector duty cycles.

Trent

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Here is a useful calculator.

http://www.theturboforums.com/techarticles/perfcalc.exe

It doesn't look like the cc/min to lbs/hr conversion works but all you have to do is divide by 10.5 to get lbs/hr.

According to the calc at 72psi fuel pressure the injectors will support 860hp at 90% duty cycle. That is flywheel hp.
Thanks for the calculator.. So around 688 to 700rwhp for your current injectors with an auto.. That's using 20% drivetrain loss. Plus/Minus..

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts

VPC its not a restriction for you right now, your upgrades should be Tranny, Cams, Injectors....IMO.

Dont go in the head to change seals to put the stock cams back on. You will regret it later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts