Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I just installed my Greddy T78 Turbo.
I noticed that it gets very very hot when I run my car.
Don't know how normal this is but both sides get so hot you can't touch them without burning your hand.
I have good oil flow through it but it still gets as hot as the exhaust manifold and takes about an hour to cool down...

Is this normal???

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Ummmm....dude, you have exhaust gases going through the back housing of your turbo...did you not know that? Yes, it should be getting hot, not only do exhaust gases flow through it, it's sitting on the manifold where exhaust gases are running.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
The important thing is that the pipe from the outlet of the intercooler is cool to the touch!

:)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
It's a TURBO, it's going to get hot!! I wouldn't recommend touching a turbo after the car has been run. :sadance:

I highly recommend the a turbo blanket for the a/r housing, I noticed a big difference in under hood temps after I got mine.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Winnipegman said:
Ok...I just installed my Greddy T78 Turbo.
I noticed that it gets very very hot when I run my car.
Don't know how normal this is but both sides get so hot you can't touch them without burning your hand.
I have good oil flow through it but it still gets as hot as the exhaust manifold and takes about an hour to cool down...

Is this normal???

Have your manifold coated, and also use a blanket on the hot side of the turbo. In addition to that. Sound performance also makes a very nice inlet pipe that feeds from the inner fender. Believe it or not ambient air lowers your charged air temps and also makes more power:)

·
Banned
378 Posts
IF IT SEEMS UNUSUALLY HOT, MAKE SURE YOUR MANIFOLD IS NOT GLOWING AT IDLE!!!!! That means you are running super lean, and something is wrong with fuel pump, filter or injectors. Manifold should only glow red at WOT and when you are making good power. check this please, I've seen blown motor from clogged fuel filter(s)

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
:wtflol: :rofl:
yes it should be hot...yes too hot to touch....I have never seen a turbo get glowing hot at idle....... :1poke:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If your retarded... or ummm I meann if your timing is retarded too much you can get your manifold to glow at idle. Basically the flame will burn in the exhaust and cause extreme heat to the turbo. Then again that's anti lag :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts