Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this work for the time being? How about if I stay at low boost? I just need to get my car back together and was wondering how this would run... Stock Fuel, only upgrades would be the T78 greddy kit and a 3 core Front Mount....

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Technically, yes it will run and work.

But, it is highly advised not to do so because of the temptation to romp on the car with the new turbo, causing you to blow the motor because of the lack of fuel with that turbo.

"Just this one time" is all it takes.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Limit yourself to the absolute lowest spring tension on the wastegate spring and you'll be OK for the short term (don't run off EBC until you have more fuel). I bought a yellow spring (even softer) for mine just for added security. I think I still have the yellow spring and would sell it if you're interested (I use a smaller turbo now and the blue spring). :)

Steve T.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've ran mine with the MAF for over a year now. You'll loose a little power if you had the fuel to support big hp numbers. I monitored the signal with a safc on a dyno and the MAF maxed out around 550 at the wheels. I had the fuel done at the time to support the power. Your bigger concern should be not boosting over 18 psi on the stock fuel and running lean. The MAF is not much of an issue other than the car might stall sometimes coming to a stop unless you route the bov back into the intake. Mine has stalled a few times but seemed to take care of itself somehow over time and I can't remember the last time it has done so.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Good point: don't hook up a boost controller. Run straight off the wastegate spring so you don't get tempted.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
im in the same boat now as steve theodore is. my s-afc reads airflow %, i haven't been over 80% so im good for now.

-Brett

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.. I am looking to only do this for the short term... I have a dyno with air/fuel so tuning and checking the safety should be easy... So no more than 18psi and I should be cool right?

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I personally wouldn't push 18 psi if you want to remain conservative. I made 514 rwhp with my car and 17.4 PSI with the T78 on race gas, but had horrendous boost control back then due to all sorts of mistakes. I would recommend running closer to 15 psi for the time being if you want to be conservative. For your reference, I run about 16/17 PSI even with my PT63 (.58) right now which is a much less aggressive setup than a T78, and I have a wideband O2 system on my car for monitoring too.

Be careful, and as I mentioned...I recommend running off the wastegate only for the time being. You would do well to inspect your wastegate diaphragm to make sure it doesn't have any rips/tears in it too. What you need to prevent are boost spikes, which are absolutely deadly to your motor with stock fuel/T78 due to the horrendous run-lean condition that would be created.

Steve T.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have mine on the stock maf running 15 lbs off the
wastegate spring. I disconnected the EVC EZ and
stuck it in the glove box so I won't be tempted. The
t78 pulls at least as well on pump gas and at 15 lbs
as my old BPU Hardtop did on 100 octane and 20 lbs
of boost and it trapped at 122-123 mph.
Wayne

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm running a stock mass air meter for now on my to4r. I did buy a vpc, but have yet to install it. The car runs fine, but keep the bost low. I run 14psi on stock fuel, and avoid 4th gear pulls. just to be safe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I love you all!!!!! Ok 15 pounds NO boost Controller, and I will be OK...I just was mid 11s!!!!! Thanks everyone...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts