Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anybody ran this turbo on their MKIV? How was the spool like and what power did you make? How did you like this turbo overall?

Any idea what is the difference between T88-33D and T88-34D? Is it the exhaust housing size? I looked at moreboost.org and it said that the compressor wheel is different.

What kind of spool difference would a T88-33D vs a T88-34D have?

Reason I'm asking because I have a JZA70 (with 2JZ bottom end) arriving within a month from Japan and I'm planning to do some roadrace/autocross with this car. I know it's not ideal for it being a big single, but this is what I have for now.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
T88 33D uses the same turbine wheel as the T88 34D (slightly larger than a GT42), just uses the smaller 66mm compressor wheel from the T78.

It will be very efficient but not what I would call a 'responsive' turbo for the power it's going to make.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T88 33D uses the same turbine wheel as the T88 34D (slightly larger than a GT42), just uses the smaller 66mm compressor wheel from the T78.

It will be very efficient but not what I would call a 'responsive' turbo for the power it's going to make.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Any other reviews of this turbo?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Too big to be usable for autocross really, even if you raise the revs up it would just deliver too uncontrollable power to the rear wheels and i'd say even if you had huge tires on too, something like my Gt4088r or a gt35r would be as big as i'd go and there big but good spooling turbos, my choice would be a bl61 or gt35r.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
greddy's numbers stand for half or the diameter of the compressor housings, a 33d being 66mm and 34d 68mm, 38gk 76mm, etc.... the greddy turbos are not the best for lag but it will last forever and make some good power, not to mention i believe greddy has the most fair prices for what they offer.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
greddy's numbers stand for half or the diameter of the compressor housings, a 33d being 66mm and 34d 68mm, 38gk 76mm, etc.... the greddy turbos are not the best for lag but it will last forever and make some good power, not to mention i believe greddy has the most fair prices for what they offer.

That's not necessarily true. While it is close, it's not true, the 34D is a 69.7-70mm c/whl inducer, the 33D is, as stated, 66mm, and the 38GK is a 75.9mm wheel, but there is also a T78 29D which is a 64mm inducer.

As for fair prices though, that may be true on their turbo kits, but individual turbochargers are not cheap. T88H 38GK retails for $3,000.00.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
i have an oppertunity to buy a rebuilt T88-33D right now for about $900 (with polished compresser housing). its between that or a BB T61 right now for same price.

im leaning more twoards the T88 since the price im getting it at is kind of a steal! i got 720cc's and standalone installed but looking to make a comfortable 550RWHP for weekend driving and maybe crank it to 600 for dyno days.

i know the T88 should hit really hard, but at around what RPM? does the 33d size help lag at all? is it worth the nasty punch at high rpms or shoudl a smaller turbo be all u recomend?

as stated can u guys PLEASE fill us in with more proof/videos and or pics of the T88 on supras. without having the sewarch function lately here on SF is driving me nuts caus ei know i could find the videos/info if the feature were availabe. hence save space on the boards and ur time reading. :p

thanx guys

8,181 Posts
i ran a T88 34d with stock fuel/computer on open DP at 1.2 bar. +ve boost at 4800 full boost at 5500 and the you know the red line drip. when it spools it pulls like a mother fuker.

8,181 Posts
not a good turbo for AX as mentioned above. i used it on my car. with out fuel and AM comp, too much lag.like around 5k but when it spools pulls like a mofo. it will be very responsive and less lag with a fuel system/computer.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
i have an oppertunity to buy a rebuilt T88-33D right now for about $900 (with polished compresser housing). its between that or a BB T61 right now for same price.

im leaning more twoards the T88 since the price im getting it at is kind of a steal! i got 720cc's and standalone installed but looking to make a comfortable 550RWHP for weekend driving and maybe crank it to 600 for dyno days.

i know the T88 should hit really hard, but at around what RPM? does the 33d size help lag at all? is it worth the nasty punch at high rpms or shoudl a smaller turbo be all u recomend?

as stated can u guys PLEASE fill us in with more proof/videos and or pics of the T88 on supras. without having the sewarch function lately here on SF is driving me nuts caus ei know i could find the videos/info if the feature were availabe. hence save space on the boards and ur time reading. :p

thanx guys
If you're talking about a Ball Bearing T61 P trim vs a T88-33D, they couldn't be any more different. One is going to respond extremely quickly and run out of breath in the 5-600whp range, the other is going to be a ridiculously efficient 66mm turbo but definitely is a high rpm turbo, not a response turbo.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't recommend auto crossing with the greddy turbos. Especially with the Massive power and lag the T78 & T88 deliver. I have a T88-34d and the lag sucks and too much power when it kicks.
You'll notice more wheel spin.. Besides that its a great Highway/freeway turbo. I enjoy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts