Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried running a Greddy T88 on an automatic ? Can this combo be made streetable? Any thoughts,comments,suggestions or just plain experience here would be greatly appreaciated :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is possible. In fact there have been people who have done this. All it takes is a nice sum of money and a good reliable modifications shop.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
suprattnsa said:
Has anyone ever tried running a Greddy T88 on an automatic ?
Like any other big turbo w/an automatic... 4000rpm converter. Done.

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
I would use it ...no problem...:)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everybody for the quick feedback! Is there anything else that would be needed in addition to the 4k stall TC to spool that turbo? 50 shot of NOS perhaps? Or is a 4k stall sufficient enough? Thanks Tony

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question for everyone out there. Will I need to get a G-Force computer upgrade in order to take full effect of the T88's powerband or will the stock 7200 rev limiter be OK for a turbo that size?

S

·
0 Posts
One of the fastest (if not THE FASTEST) street supra out there was the T88 powered AUTO of Billy Cha of Altered Atmoshpere Motorsports. His fastest run was a 10.10 e.t going thru the traps sideways (110mph trap) as he lost control at the 1/8th mile....it smacked into the wall hard and that was the end of that car. If it hadn't of broken loose (traction) many people believe it could of done 9.4's-tp-9.5's and made a new world record for daily driven supras (His 1/8th was something like [email protected] MPH, even with breaking traction just before hitting it)...incedentally, the actual record is held by another AUTO (SP's)

AUTO + Big turbo on supras are a lethal combination :) :)

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,039 Posts
Keep in mind, the auto will not hold the power. Even with the upgraded TC your stock internall clutch plates WILL NOT hold. In fact it wont hold past 500 whp usually. (I know this from experience) Look into an SP or PHR tranny before doing your T-88. I have a level 10 combo but I know how much people here hate them. Personally no complaints.

just my 2 cents.

Ben....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes you will most certainly need to upgrade your stock tranny and stall as well. The stock tranny will not hold the power that a T88 generates. Well okay maybe for awhile provided you keep the boost down, but anything over 550 on a stock auto tranny is pushing it.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I have a T76bb on an auto - I believe the T76 is comparable to a T88...so far so good...built tranny/4k stall....power is frightening :)

Jay

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Philly... what do you think that thing will run in the 1/4? the thing that keeps me away from big ass turbos is that most people I see with 800hp or whatever are running 11s :lol:

That would piss me off, I gotta run at least 10s... so I figure I need to get a more medium sized turbo, since huge ones seem to be slower in the 1/4 and only have top end... but if the converter seriously corrects that completely.. woohoo :D

Have you ever run it yet... would you say low 10s?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
pooshda said:
Philly... what do you think that thing will run in the 1/4? the thing that keeps me away from big ass turbos is that most people I see with 800hp or whatever are running 11s :lol:
I hate to make predictions...I'd bet it'll be much quicker than 11s! Ara seems to think it'll run a 9 on slicks - however, until I get to the track..who knows.

I don't think 10s will be an issue....

Jay

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
pooshda said:

That would piss me off, I gotta run at least 10s... so I figure I need to get a more medium sized turbo, since huge ones seem to be slower in the 1/4 and only have top end... but if the converter seriously corrects that completely.. woohoo :D

Have you ever run it yet... would you say low 10s?
Pooshda, I gotta ask ya man, and in only the friendliest, non-flaming way...have you ever ridden in or driven even a low 11 second car?

I know you have lofty goals, but you throw these 9 & 10 second times around in a way that has me scratching my head.

Have you taken your own car to the track yet?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Philly Single, at what RPM are you seeing full boost with that turbo? Have you taken your car to the track yet?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
suprattnsa said:
Philly Single, at what RPM are you seeing full boost with that turbo? Have you taken your car to the track yet?
Hmmm - well I see positive boost around 3500, around 4000, it's starting to get pretty hectic - I'd say it's in full song by 4500rpms...can't be sure though. I need to get a peak hold boost gauge and do some pulls. No, it hasn't been to the track, hopefully, over the next week or two.

LagTime - you're right one....a low 11sec car is Damn fast!!!!!

Jay

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Philly Single said:
I have a T76bb on an auto - I believe the T76 is comparable to a T88...so far so good...built tranny/4k stall....power is frightening :)

Jay
Jay,

The Turbonetics T70 is comparable to a Greddy T88, the T88 uses a intake wheel of 70mm not 76 like yours....remember that ;) T 72 uses 72mm still bigger than the T88..:D

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jesus, how about that T88? Just wondering at what kind of RPM's you start seeing boost and at what RPM more or less you are reaching full boost? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jesus said:
Jay,

The Turbonetics T70 is comparable to a Greddy T88, the T88 uses a intake wheel of 70mm not 76 like yours....remember that ;) T 72 uses 72mm still bigger than the T88..:D
Yeah the T88 has a pretty pussy compressor side;) But supposedly Mitsu hot sides are much better than there garrett equivalents.

-amir

1 - 20 of 42 Posts