Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m thinking about getting the T88H.

I´ll also get the Greddy 4 row IC, big fuel ystem (1000ccm Inj.), AEM and 274 cams, head studs, stopper gasket,.......

I did search a lot about hp gains on pumpgas and racegas and about spooling..... just wanted to do my homework.

Now I know that the T88H can do about 600-650 rwhp on about 22 PSI
and it can do about 850-1000+ on racegas and 30+ PSi.

But that´s all on the dyno.
I don´t care about dyno dates, really, as I need the engine to hold long WOT highway runs on pumpgas and 1/4 mile races on racegas.

Howver, during my search I found posts about the turbo setup being problematic on doing long highway runs even with the boostcontroller shut off........??

Now I´m a bit confused.

The wastegate that comes with the Kit has a 1,5 bar spring (about 21 psi), right?
Is it true that you can see lots of detonaition with 21 PSI on pumpgas ????

I ´ve also read that there are engines blown on the highway with only 20 PSI of boost??????

As I will do long WOT highway runs, I worry about all that now.

I sure DON`T want to run racegas all the time but I also don´t wanna risk my engine when doing long WOT runs on pumpgas (93/94 oct) with the engine knocking......

Now how is it all about that......

I´m new on turbos, so I need your help !!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Yes, long highway runs at 21 psi with a greddy 88 on pump gas will destroy your motor. You will need to get the boost WAY down, or go to a smaller turbo, or run higher octane gas.

Larry
SP

·
Registered
7 Posts
seriously. thats no good. its not something that only happens with the t88...it applies to all bigger turbos, correct? i was thinking of getting a t51 kai bb. i may have to rethink that though

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Yes, long highway runs at 21 psi with a greddy 88 on pump gas will destroy your motor. You will need to get the boost WAY down, or go to a smaller turbo, or run higher octane gas.

Larry
SP
Why is this? Too much heat build-up in the head/cylinder leading to detonation?

·
Registered
563 Posts
How about if you try to use octane boost with the pump gas and turn down the boost to about 15psi for everyday driving, and when you race you use race-gas and turn up the boost to 21psi.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Why cant you do this???

I get 10 supras in my shop per year with blown engines....... These are from high speed highway pulls on pump gas and STOCK TWINS!!!!

Now you do the math...... what will happen with a Greddy T88?

You simply do not have enough octane, you will detonate, and you will melt the pistons.........

Try it if you dont believe me :) OK DONT!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larry, so what can I do??

What psi should I run on the highway then??
What do the guys that go roundcourse use??

Or what else can I do??

I wanted the T88H because I want to do 9´s at the track without Nitrous............but now?!?!?

I don´t want to install a water/meth kit.
And I don´t wanna run racegas on the street.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Larry, when you say "on pump gas they detonate" What octane are you considering pump gas? I've seen 94 at local gas stations, is that still too low?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craig King said:
Larry, when you say "on pump gas they detonate" What octane are you considering pump gas? I've seen 94 at local gas stations, is that still too low?
yes, would be intresting.
We have 93/94 every where.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supramannen said:
Listen to Larry

He is right

Been there done that
Sure I listen !!!

But what now??
Is a T88H not for the street???

I thought lot of streetracers have it??

And I doubt they are on racegas all the time.....

AAnd keeping the boost at 1 bar or below cannot gain much hp....., right??

That´s what makes me confused now.

Come on you big single turbo guys......what do YOU do??
+
Thanks,
Michael

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Mad TKD said:
if your smart you run race fuel all the time.
:agreed:

IMO, the Supra isn't a daily driver. Its a full blown race car :D And should be treated as such. But that is just my oppinion, and it won't make a damn bit of difference :(

How can anyone seriously consider running a 1000HP capable car on pump gas?? :wtf:

Buy a nice N/A supra and run that on pump gas, and when the weekend or occasional super-nice day hits, run race gas and full boost :D

·
Former Moderator
3,783 Posts
You can safely run 18 psi on 94 octane fuel without too much problems. Running race fuel all the time can get expensive. Remember, he's in Europe. Fuel cost 1.40$ per LITER!! :eek:

-Olivier

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I could run racegas on the track only and just turn down the boost for the street.
Didn´t know that I cannot go under 1,5 bar because of the Wastegate spring :(

Now I know.

If I wanted a racecar then I would have bougt something way lighter than the SUPRA.

I wanted a good looking car that I can run on the street and also run into the 9´s at the track.

I sold my ) Sec. C5 Corvette because I didn`t want to mess with the bottle all the time.

Now I have the option to either run racegas all the time or change Wastegate springs bevore and after the races....

Not what I wanted...

HMMMMMM, there´s always a way......

1 - 20 of 65 Posts