Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although real close setups, which one to pick for 60-150mile run(No NOS, same boost lets say race gas).
i got T88, my budy has SP, no chance to try cars in different continents now...

Let us know if anyone compared these two

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
SP74 HO. Better spool, newer technology, and I probably better top-end too. Can't go wrong with a SP kit.

-Olivier

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the T88H. Folks in the states have had large degrees of success with the Greddy kit. I'm sure the big part depends on tuning and overall package more than just the type of turbo. I believe these two are similar in size.

·
Oh I think they like me.
714 Posts
The t88h is a 69.x mm turbo and the 74 is a 74mm turbo... and its funny how you can compare power between the two...

I say from a roll it will be a pretty damn close race...

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Titanium said:
The t88h is a 69.x mm turbo and the 74 is a 74mm turbo... and its funny how you can compare power between the two...

That does not dictate eveything about the turbo based on the side of the compressor alone.

Adam

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Titanium said:

Sure it's not the biggest wheel around, but with a 1.0 AR or 1.15 AR, the thing sure is laggy.

-Olivier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were thinking SP74 would be quicker off the start but T88 might catch up after 120-130miles..Any comments?

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
I don't why it would catch it later, if both make same power and the SP74 has better area under the curve.

-Olivier

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
The turbos will put out similar power. Both can make 900whp easily, I'm sure my T88 could make it with a few more psi of boost. Lag will not be an issue in this game because you can brake boost and start off in boost. Race and we will see, although I'm sure the result will be different in different cases.

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't think either car will be running at the 900whp level for 100 miles. I bet the motors blow before hitting that far.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Heh, this is why I want to actually MEASURE spool on the various turbos out there to see just how much lag there really is. It would be SO cool to know that the SP74 spools at XRPM while the T88H spools at YRPM. That's not the whole story obviously but wow would it be nice to see that. I've measured spool on two T78s and a TTC car so far and need data for others that have an AEM in them...

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
GregZ33 said:
The turbos will put out similar power. Both can make 900whp easily, I'm sure my T88 could make it with a few more psi of boost. Lag will not be an issue in this game because you can brake boost and start off in boost. Race and we will see, although I'm sure the result will be different in different cases.

Greg
Doesn't mean lag isn't an issue. Shift and drop boost (drop power and lower in area of the curve) and you lose :)

Adrock
SPXX

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
I don't why it would catch it later, if both make same power and the SP74 has better area under the curve.

-Olivier
Are you speaking from experience? What T88 cars have you run in your SP equipped Supra?

I've run SP turbo powered car lb for lb and pulled it. Of course one race isn't the standard but it was done with my car.

BLKMGK- Keep us posted about your project.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Chucky Doll said:
Are you speaking from experience? What T88 cars have you run in your SP equipped Supra?

I've run SP turbo powered car lb for lb and pulled it. Of course one race isn't the standard but it was done with my car.

BLKMGK- Keep us posted about your project.
No, I'm just speaking with simple logic. If both cars have same gearing, same peak HP but one has more area under the curve than the other one, it will win. Obviously, cams, tuning, etc can all come into play here.

-Olivier

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
No, I'm just speaking with simple logic. If both cars have same gearing, same peak HP but one has more area under the curve than the other one, it will win. Obviously, cams, tuning, etc can all come into play here.

-Olivier
Speaking from logic? Or are you bench racing here. I've conducted my own test by racing my own car vs. a similar equipped supra. I found the results to be different.

What do you drive again?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I drive an SP turbo'd car. Am I better bench racer for you? Assuming the SP car spools first, but they make equal power, at some point in the powerband there is more power available to the SP car. Will this come into play in the specific race? Is every car and every race different in diff. conditions? Does the thread starter even own either turbo to compare? No, that's why we are here to logically express our opinions, Oliver included. Your 1 race, no offense meant, IMHO doesn't make you superiorly qualified to answer this question.

Adam

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Really???? Is that why my white car ran at that level for 100's of miles and my black car did the same at 950 rwhp for about 2000 miles with NO problems, NO signs of any hurt....???? As long as the car is tuned right, it'll last...
Peter

silvino said:
I don't think either car will be running at the 900whp level for 100 miles. I bet the motors blow before hitting that far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adrocktt said:
Doesn't mean lag isn't an issue. Shift and drop boost (drop power and lower in area of the curve) and you lose :)
Set up AEM to cut fuel/ignition when clutch is engaged. Shift without taking your foot off the floor. Little to no boost drop. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You went 100 miles with the car floored to race someone?

The point of the discussion was that he was going to race someone for over 100 miles at WOT.

houstonT said:
Really???? Is that why my white car ran at that level for 100's of miles and my black car did the same at 950 rwhp for about 2000 miles with NO problems, NO signs of any hurt....???? As long as the car is tuned right, it'll last...
Peter

1 - 20 of 35 Posts