Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 N/A with a 1jz swap is running great, but i'm having a problem with the tach (original, analog).

When i turn on my headlights my tachometer quits working. Any ideas?? We have researched this for a couple of days and nothing.
If nobody has any ideas do you know where i can find a wiring diagram for the body connector that is out by my battery. This might be where i have a wire crossed or something when i tried to wire it into the original body wiring.
This connector came with my 1jz harness and i could not find any diagrams to follow. I even tried "Ricks Place" but nothing there looked like mine unless i missed it.

I can supply wire colors to this connector if needed.

thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone tell me what the (2) relays are for that goes underneath the fuse block that came with my wiring harness?

And, what is the connector called that i have to wire in up by the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is one wire that supplies the tach signal from the igniter. Make sure that is cool running through the harness to the dash and then go from there. It is a black wire on connecter M1.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 black wires coming from the ignitor with continuity. (2) black with brown spots & (1) black with white spots. Does someone know which one?

Also, I was told that my N/A tach will not with the 1jz, so my question is will any turbo tach work?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My ELS wire was hooked up to the black wire w/ white spots, which is wrong. The ElS wire is showing to be called the Headlight relay which explains my problem so I will leave it unhooked for good. However, with unhooking the ELS wire. my tach quit working.
I now have "3" black wires showing continuity from the ignitor. "2" black wires w/ brown spots and "1" black wire w/ white spots.
The black wire w/ white spots was hooked up to the ELS wire.

My question is which one the these "3" black wires do I hook up to the tach sensor wire coming out of my yellow non-ecu plug, even though, my tach does not work now I have to hook one or all of them to get the car to start.

Thank you,
Jeremy

·
Registered
259 Posts
As Mighty Al suggested, find the m1 connector, on your car a 87, it should be a yellow 10 pin connector under the dash/glovebox area. The #4 wire should be black, this will be your tach. This should connect to the #11 terminal on the IG1 connector of the JZ engine harness.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand which black wire in the M1 connector is the tach signal.

My question is which wire that is coming from the ignitor do i connect to this black wire in M1 connector. I have (3) black wires that is showing continuity from the ignitor (small plug).
(2) blacks w/ brown spots
(1) black w/ white spots
All (3) have continuity from the small plug of the ignitor.

When I received the harness the connectors were gone. So I cannot tell which one of these black wires was going to the IG1 connector #11 terminal.

Thank you,
Jeremy

·
Registered
562 Posts
well after about 5 minutes of research and none of my notes or reference documents at hand I have found your answer. I am not sure who rick is or where his place is at but it all seems to be useless. pin 1 on the I connector which is the 4 pin connector to the igniter is the black wire you are looking for. And if worse came to worse it is the only black wire the runs from the igniter to the big mass of wires that run to the chasis plugs. Happy hunting and drop me a line the next time you need some heavy lifting done for ya.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You
Car is running great with no problems. I just need to buy me a turbo tach now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mklll1jz said:
Thank You
Car is running great with no problems. I just need to buy me a turbo tach now.
If you have a clip, the one from the clip will work. I had to cut off some plastic on the side to make it fit into the LHD dash, but it works well...

Marty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts