Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know if a tacoma gears from a 7.5 or 8" front ifs diff will fit in the 200mm/8" NA supra/sc300 diff carrier.
Im building a 97 sc300 auto, built to be an awd drag car.
I want to make it 4x4 with a transfer case mounted to a chevy th400 3 speed trans. This will give me the option to switch to 2wd.
My question is about differentials. Can I put the same gears in a tacoma/fj cruiser 8" front ifs pumpkin as the rear 8" sc300 gears? Or tacoma 3.73 gears in my sc300/supra rear dif housing?
If everything is 8" I should be able to put 3.2 gears in the front fj diff AND rear sc diff with trd limited slips in both. I just need matching diffs front and rear that will fit in the SC rear and have toyota ifs cv axle options.
I've read a bit on the different supra and gs diffs but I cant get straight answers. From what I've read I want a TRD or aftermarket limited slip anyway and not the supra one.
This will be for drag racing and hopefully handle 700+ hp.
I'm very aware of the fitment and fabrication skills involved. But I've got my head around that part as a welder and prerunner builder.

·
Registered
954 Posts
WOW , sounds very interesting... only thing i would assume, is the mounting of the carrier

if you have access to a near by yard where they may have an SC diff and a tacoma, you can try it?
i know thats not the answer your are looking for , but just a suggestion

also you can do a national search for all yards>>> car-part.com

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
See my diff sticky at the top of this section. We've been working on Supras, and looking at other Toyotas for parts for how long now? If it were that easy we'd be doing it, trust me.
Not to say that stuff doesn't still get discovered in weird models from the world market, but something as common as a Toyota Truck? C'mon guys.

The 7.5 and 8in R&P used in the trucks is totally different from the 200mm used in the 'small diff' MK4 Supra and Lexus. It is not compatible. If they were compatible, they'd be listed on the diff sticky as a compatible cross reference.
Some of the Truck 8in R&P's can be used in the MK3 Supra, IS300, and FR-S/BR-Z rear differentials as that's not shared with the 200mm diff. I say some because Pinion bearing sizes and crown wheel depth can be different enough that it won't work in a Supra or IS300 housing. Most are geared stupidly low (numerically high) to correct things for truck guys running 33's and 35's and shit, so are of little use to Supra/IS guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts