Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i finnally finished my single turbo setup... 63mm turbo kit from HPF. im on stock fuel (jdm 440cc) and everything else is pretty much stock cept the turbo kit. I'm having a problem boosting, everytime i get on it, and the turbo spools up.. the psi jumps to like 14-15 and then the car starts to feel like its having boost cut... I have a greddy bcc and it didnt do this with the stock twins.. i have the 44mm Tial wastegate with a turbo XS boostcontroller.. i hooked up everything right..

the question is.. Is there a way to have solid boost lets say like 10? the boost controller is set to the lowest rate. and i just wanna have solid 10PSI boost, is there any tricks like bleeding somthing? any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks!

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
The lowest you can boost is what you wastegate spring is. It sounds like you have a 14-15 psi spring. If you want to boost 10 psi, you'll need a diffrent wastegate spring. If you already have a 10 psi spring, just remove the boost controller and run boost off the wastegate.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
and i dont think thats boost cut you are hitting, it might be detonation!!! definatly change that spring in the wastegate!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Im going to get a 7.25psi spring.. is this good enough to raise it to like 10-11 psi?? Man... i really dont wanna wait for this to come with the mail.. isn't this just like any other spring? cant i find one at a local hardware shop or somthing..? i remember buying one for my TT doing the wastgate mod... ganna take out the wastegate today and see what kind of spring it is.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
supradup said:
you dont have enough fuel to support 15psi. its not boost cut your detonating.
^^^I think your right

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
RAR81 said:
anybody else notice that xs power is selling "genuine" tial wastegates :1poke:
I saw that and from the crappy pic it looks like its just a better knock off than thier earlier model.
Just like the counterfit teins that are running around.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the spring out... now do i need to look for a softer spring? or a more harder spring..? im guessing softer than what i have now.. found some springs that look exactly like the ones used inside the 44mm tial wastegate so ill just swap when i know which one to buy... the thing is.. at the store it doesnt say what "psi" its rated at.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
If you are really despirate... you can cut the spring. Try a coil at a time to see what that will lower the boost to. I did this with my tial bov and it works like a champ.

Brandon

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot brandon ill try this! how many coils did ya cut... and what boost did u get finnally...?

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
buy a new spring....rigging shit on your car is a sure way to fuk it up....no the hpf tial wastegate is not a knock off... it is a tial 44mm and works flawlessly once you get it set up right...I bet boost is spiking, just for ease of troubleshooting remove your BC and just run pressure to the wg....stock fuel i presume???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes stock fuel.. but there is 2 ports on the wastegate.. one on the top.. and the side.. so i just route the turbo preasure outlet to the side port and leave the top port open? or do I T the line coming from the turbo to both ports...?

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
run a line from the nipple off the turbo into the side port of the wg and leave the top port open. you will be running whatever boost level the spring is.

If you were using an ebc you would t the nipple and one one line to the side, the other to the boost solenoid and then the top. for what you are trying to do just run a line with no t's from the port to the side and leave the top open. once the car is running as it should then you can troubleshoot the boost control issue.

do you have an safc, or map ecu or just stock maf with no fuel control?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the JDM ecu/harness/and motor.. along with the jdm injectors. and no i have nothing else.. (safc/map ecu)

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
be careful with the jdm injectors, 440's i beleive...550's can be had for cheap to get you by, but I'd do something with fuel asap and run low boost until you do. Not sure what guys are running on those injectors

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well thier flow tested to be at 480cc~.. i have a pair of 550cc's with the resister pack.. i hooked up everything right. and the car wouldnt turn on with them... i have to go test these injecotrs and make sure this resistor pack even works.. but for now i wanna run low boost (8-12) if possible..

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
should be ok, may want to research the na-t section and see what they are doing. HPF used to ship with 18lb spring, I'd call and verify... I had to special request the 10lb spring I got. the more I read, the more this sounds like detonation, that turbo spools pretty good around 3600 and you will go from 0 to 25lbs pretty quick....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah they ship with a 15.XX-16~ pound spring. funny thing is... i boosted 19psi once with my jdm turbos and setup and the car did the same thing its doing now at 15 psi... well from what i read best thing to do now is do somthing with the spring so that psi stays around 8-12 psi so that it will keep up with the jdm injectors...

Once i pass 4k rpm.. the psi just jumps to 12psi then at 5k rpm or so it starts to "detonate" i guess and the car doesn't move.. it did this like 3 times.. and after that i just quit and came to ask the forum and got help like always :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts