Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '87 and I want to do the conversion to the 89-92 style tail lights I see that it consists of three pieces. My question is this. Do I just need to center piece to go along with my '87 d/s and p/s or do I need to buy ALL three pieces from a 89-92? Thanks

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
I have an '87 and I want to do the conversion to the 89-92 style tail lights I see that it consists of three pieces. My question is this. Do I just need to center piece to go along with my '87 d/s and p/s or do I need to buy ALL three pieces from a 89-92? Thanks
If you look closely, the tail lights on the 89-92's are quite different than yours in size and appearence, and the center section will not match up with your existing tails. Short and simple, YES, you need all 3 pieces.

Collin

·
Registered
400 Posts
You will also need the lock mechanism if you want it to work right or you can pop it from the inside. You will also have to drill one hole or just break off the stud on the 89+ lights.

Its very easy to do but yes you need all three pieces. Then you also have to look at two different trim styles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what i figured I would need all three, thanks for the input and what two trim styles are you speaking of?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
you can just carefully cut off the trim from the 89+ tails and glue the original trim on...

·
Registered
210 Posts
you can just carefully cut off the trim from the 89+ tails and glue the original trim on...
the 89+ trim is plastic and part of the black piecethel icense plate sits in, cant be seperated.
however, you can cut off the bottom (trim AND metal) of the 89+ and pre 89 and switch the metal and moulding and it'll bolt right up

also you can keep the pre89 original lock (metal) over the orange plastic 89+ lock with the use of a bracket. I'll get pics up tonight or tomorrow

Also the 89+ have either an extra or 1 less bolt hten the pre89's, so oyu;ll either have to drill annotherh ole or justn ot use one, i forget which lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
this bracket that your talking about is it something you have to buy make or is it allraedy exsiting becaus i have an 89 but i bought a set of matching locks from an 87 not noing about the diffrence till i recived themand havent know how to put in. pics will be great

·
Registered
210 Posts
this bracket that your talking about is it something you have to buy make or is it allraedy exsiting becaus i have an 89 but i bought a set of matching locks from an 87 not noing about the diffrence till i recived themand havent know how to put in. pics will be great
there's already a plastic one in the centre piece i think, the problem is that your pre89 lock needs to be screwed in where as the 89+ is clipped in. but you just screw it in through the clips and it stays right in there fine, ill try to find some pics from the inside i took a while back, if i dont get around to posting them naytime soon keep in touch thru email and next time i have the trunk taken apart (probably soon, a friends tails arent working right so i wanna check if the wirings all the same) then i'll get some pics of that center piece

1 - 9 of 9 Posts