Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled off the tail lights today (stock 87 style) and WOW, the gaskets are fubar'd. what would a new gasket set for the tail lights cost from toyota? anyone tried making their own? thanks guys

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fair enough, but creativity is a key component in the automotive world. got a price for the replacements?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've looked into the replacements, they're around 28 bux a piece. I made my own out of the same material, but i may be going into what nissan does is using butyl instead of a gasket. Works better IMO.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah? what's the deal with this butyl stuff? i haven't even heard of it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just order them from champion and be done, Or Jaymarks, and get a good discount. There is no substitute, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.
William 89T

·
Registered
223 Posts
Butyl is like silicone, but its based on rubber that's very soft and pliable but also very tacky. It won't dry, its meant to be that way so it can adjust to any vibrations or movements between the two surfaces you place it between. This also allows you to take them out. You just pull them off slowly and use a blade to cut the glue. Its almost like bubble gum but it never dries. Canadian Tire sells this in the paint department or Home Depot. You can buy this also at automotive supply stores which i would recommend. But be warned, this stuff is messy if not used properly.

Gaskets are nice, but most cars have butyl now. If you plan on taking apart your tails often, then go with the gasket, if not, butyl.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice, i think i'll just do it. do you have a contact for me? i haven't ordered anything from those places before. will they ship to ontario and not charge rediculous amounts for shipping? and will i get nailed with duty? thanks.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
7M-Boost said:
fair enough, but creativity is a key component in the automotive world. got a price for the replacements?
For a mere $12US per gasket, it's probably worth saving the creative juices [aka time] for other, more worthy projects. Just my NSHO.

Good luck.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
KnightRydeR said:
Butyl is like silicone, but its based on rubber that's very soft and pliable but also very tacky......If you plan on taking apart your tails often, then go with the gasket, if not, butyl.
Your disclaimer should not be taken lightly. That shi+ is what many would consider to be permanent. If the lights leak after using that stuff, good luck getting the lights off to resolve it.

Take care.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i think i'll go with the replacement gaskets from toyota (or wherever you guys recommend me getting them from) but that butyl stuff is interesting. thanks for all the responses and info.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Larry_A said:
Your disclaimer should not be taken lightly. That shi+ is what many would consider to be permanent. If the lights leak after using that stuff, good luck getting the lights off to resolve it.

Take care.

Butyl is not fully permanent, it does come off, you just have to pull them and cut the strands as they come off. I mean for peace of mind, i'd recommend the gaskets, they've lasted for 14 years for me.. Worth spending the money and getting it over with. But the butyl stuff is what newer cars are going with. My maxima has butyl, Nissan doesn't believe in gaskets.

Remember, the more rubber on the car, the more chances of something leaking.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KnightRydeR said:
Butyl is not fully permanent, it does come off, you just have to pull them and cut the strands as they come off. I mean for peace of mind, i'd recommend the gaskets, they've lasted for 14 years for me.. Worth spending the money and getting it over with. But the butyl stuff is what newer cars are going with. My maxima has butyl, Nissan doesn't believe in gaskets.

Remember, the more rubber on the car, the more chances of something leaking.

care to expand on your theory?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've worked for Tremco, or as you may know Tremclad, manufacturer of paint and sealants worldwide. Butyl was one of their brands sold to canadian tire stores. This stuff is basically a "bubble gum" type of sealant that does not cure, it stays fresh for years but is strong enough to keep two surfaces sealed. Its messy because its very tacky/sticky. But it allows for movement since it never cures or dries.

What I've noticed is that gaskets tend to put alot of strain on the mounting portions of tail lights. You need to squeeze that gaskets to seal. But butyl since its tacky, you only put enough tension between the chassis and the tail light using the bolts, just to keep them in place. If you ever notice, most supras tend to have stretch deformed tails in the spots where the tails have the bolts to mount. Its because of the tension and the heat and elements. Butly doesn't but as much tension on the tail lights since it doesn't need to be squeezed to seal.

If you're not confortable with butyl that might become messy, just get the seals. its peace of mind.

G

·
I just made my own gaskets from 'gasket foam' bought from a foam and vinyl manufacurer. Just use the old ones as stencils and trim as needed. Took me a whole 25 minutes to cut new gaskets and install - really not as hard as everyone seems to make out. That was 3 months ago and there's no leaks yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
7MA70 said:
I just made my own gaskets from 'gasket foam' bought from a foam and vinyl manufacurer. Just use the old ones as stencils and trim as needed. Took me a whole 25 minutes to cut new gaskets and install - really not as hard as everyone seems to make out. That was 3 months ago and there's no leaks yet.
where exactly is this place you got the material from? toyota wants $27.50 PER GASKET. i don't think i'll be paying that. and i can't seem to find a place with material around my area. anyone have a contact?

·
Bring it.
489 Posts
In doing my taillight gaskets, I just used new gaskets. What I've seen though, is the lenses themselves can get warped, which leads to leaks. Make sure the seam from the black bezel to the lens is smooth. If not, apply clear silicone along the seam. Take your time and clean up nicely and you can't even tell a repair was made. My tails have been leakproof in the 2 years since I've done this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts