Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the f**k is the damn tail light sensor thing. My brake lights don't work any more and the f**king MKIV site is down once again. I need someone to help me figure out how to fix this damn thing.

I remember that someone had a link to a backup of the MKIV site, does this still exist?

Please help !!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I found the damn sensor, but I cant find anything wrong with it. Is there any way to bypass this freaking thing? Or to check it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I couldn't wait for a response so I bypassed it myself!!!!!

Finally no more stupid failed lamp sensor!!! If anyone wants instructions on how to bypass this annoying thing let me know. It didn't take long and now I never have to worry about seeing the light on the dash anymore. :D :)

:ak: LAMP FAILURE
:uzi: SENSOR

I don't know why the sensor fails, but its like you need a sensor to tell when the lamp sensor has failed. :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That wasn't the problem, the problem was that my brake lights STOPPED working completely. First it was just that light on my dash and then it finally just killed my brake lights. But now I never have to worry about that stupid sensor again!!!

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
it seemns i have a similar problem. My lamp failure sensor light is on, and my 2 lower rear brake lights don't work, only the upper third one. I am thinking there is a break in a connection somewhere since BOTH lower lights aren't working. Is this the same problem you had? and by bypassing the sensor did that allow your brake lights to work again? (not sure how that would work) I'm not sure if the lamp failure sensor caused the lights to go out as in your case, or is on due to failed lamps ... i bought the car that way. thx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep, your light sensor has gone bad. It's in the driver's inside rear fender under the plastic panels. It's apparently a common problem with a few Toyotas, but the damn shop manuals don't even detail it. The third high brake light still works because it doesn't go through the sensor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
get to that sensor in the rear fender and with a simple test light and a friend at the brake pedal you can map which wire to splice directly around it with a simple test light from any auto store.
I personally take the easy way out and just order a new unit, since it will probably last another 5-10 years anyway.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
can any of you who have done this and bypassed the LFS give me the color codes for the wires to splice? i have the green with the white stripe going into the LSF and the same coming out, however that doesn't seem like that is all there is to it. is this all there is to simply bypass the LSF?

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
okay, had an interesting evening. i was testing the wires goign through the LFS, found what i thought to be the brake wire and tried bypassing the LFS and route it to the brake lamps. When i did, the wires sparked, my third brake light died, and now my car won't shift out of park without me using the key in the shift lock release hole. I have checked my fuses and all are still good. i am worried i may have inadvertantly burned somehting out
-somewhere- in the car. any ideas?:(

·
Driven
137 Posts
Hey SupraDreamer,

How do you bypass the LFS for the rear brake lights to work again???

I don't want to solder anything and I don't want to buy a new one for $150 if I don't have to.

Can you post the instructions on how to bypass the LFS.?

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
holy cow. this thread is over 2 years old. i last posted to it when i had my last supra. brings back some memories :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts