Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
They should make this a sticky. everyone has problems with the algae in the tail lights.

I just did mine today.. only the driver side had stuff in it and i was feelin a bit lazy, so i replaced that gasket and left the other side alone. I took that tail light to the sink and sprayed some shower cleaner with bleach in it to see if it would help break it up. then i filled it up with water and shook the hell out of it for probably half an hour.. got most of it out except for a piece in the reverse light area.. seems thats sealed from the rest of the light. Owell, didnt have to take it apart and reseal :)

Also when i put the light back in it didnt seem to match up right with the center tail light. it wasnt flush. i looked at the other tail light and it was the same way. anybody elses like this?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just read the updated, looks like some good work, very thorough write-up. Thanks for going through the time to make this an easier process.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Good job! I've always wanted to do this but always had other things to worrie about. The only thing I've done was wet sand them and clear coat with some expensive brand name automotive outdoor plastic clear and they turned out great! Other then the inside.

And they catch water after a wash. Everytime I shammy it I would always have to run back to the rear bumper to shammy the drips for like 45 minutes. Thanks for posting the thread.

·
Supra Tech
1,750 Posts
If you paint the inside a darker shade grey and put a slight tint on the diffusers(VHT Nite Shades) then you will have JDM taillights.

The the only difference between USDM and JDM is the inside, the lenses are identical.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
If you paint the inside a darker shade grey and put a slight tint on the diffusers(VHT Nite Shades) then you will have JDM taillights.

The the only difference between USDM and JDM is the inside, the lenses are identical.
Oh snap, Did not know that, thought the actual lenses were tinted..
Well looks like these jdm tails are going to be put into my usdm ones when I do this "clean out"

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Same procedure for the center peice?

·
Supra Tech
1,750 Posts
Same procedure for the center peice?
Sorry man must have missed it the other day. But the center section has paint on the backside of the lens. In the pic you'll see it in the corner, you have to remove it from the center section and remove the paint. You should do the center after the taillights so you can "tint match" with however many coats is needed for the center section. You can either tint the outside or the inside to get the match you need.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
well as I stated in on of my previous posts you do not need to take the screws out.
You do however need to take the "pins" out...

the pins:

jdm vs usdm

as you can see the screws are still in, no need to touch those

·
Con Clavi Con Dio
1,266 Posts
Wow, Just wow. I have been following this on my phone more then my laptop. I have not been able to seem many pictures. These look great . Heading out to do it my self.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Sorry man must have missed it the other day. But the center section has paint on the backside of the lens. In the pic you'll see it in the corner, you have to remove it from the center section and remove the paint. You should do the center after the taillights so you can "tint match" with however many coats is needed for the center section. You can either tint the outside or the inside to get the match you need.
Thank you for that info. I did not know they painted the lens itself here.

Now has anybody ever tried stripping the paint off the center piece and simply paint the housing just like OP did to have the whole USDM tail set match each other? I'm more interested in having them BRIGHT RED and actually matching then tinting them. I remember starring at my set trying to picture it matching and to be just as bright as the center piece. While the sun was hitting on em on that particular day, it seem to be a brilliant idea for my 202 Black Mk3. Maybe paint the housings Pearl White and clear coat the lenses again.

Can somebody post a picture of the center piece apart?

OP, are you tired of looking at that passenger rear corner moulding? Have a look at my sig, I have something for you. ;)

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
also figured out lighter fluid works to get the remaining bits of glue off pretty well but does make a sticky mess lol

i will be starting on the center piece tomorrow

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
well as I stated in on of my previous posts you do not need to take the screws out.
You do however need to take the "pins" out...
You do realize that those little things you are calling "pins" are actually screws without a head on them. They screw into the light housing, they don't "pin" in.
The part you are calling a "screw" is actually a stud.

Please get your terminology right before you try to criticize me.

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have had my lights back together for about a week now, and no sign of any leakage yet. Let me know if you guys would like to know the 3M part numbers I used for sealant.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts