Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
You do realize that those little things you are calling "pins" are actually screws without a head on them. They screw into the light housing, they don't "pin" in.
The part you are calling a "screw" is actually a stud.

Please get your terminology right before you try to criticize me.
mine weren't screws lol mine were legit "pins" they had no threads on them.
wasnt trying to criticize at all and I call them "pins" for lack of a better term hints the quotation marks.

anyways what was the 3m stuff you used?
not sure what I want to use to put these bastards back together, was thinking of the same stuff we install windshields with??

·
THE LAST NA
1,310 Posts
screws without a head on them
reminds me of valve cover Phillips screws (stripped) used a drimmel for the same thing you did.........

my guess is Toyota wanted to make a buck off wear / tear/ accidents/repair by not having a tail parts like this serviceable.........
also, the oem taillight epoxy will come of and be ruined if a dummy 7m owner cant figure out how to change a light bulb correctly....

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
mine weren't screws lol mine were legit "pins" they had no threads on them.
wasnt trying to criticize at all and I call them "pins" for lack of a better term hints the quotation marks.

anyways what was the 3m stuff you used?
not sure what I want to use to put these bastards back together, was thinking of the same stuff we install windshields with??
Give me a little bit, I am going to go get my turbo packed up after drag racing is over, and I will grab my part numbers for the 3M epoxy.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Give me a little bit, I am going to go get my turbo packed up after drag racing is over, and I will grab my part numbers for the 3M epoxy.
Sounds good.

Just out of curiosity (my usdm tails already are painted silver inside) were your tails black on the inside or already had silver?
I ask this because the jdm ones arnt painted like my usdm's so i suspect someones already been in here and that's why mine were "pins" and yours were screws

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
The 3M part number for the 2 part epoxy I used was 08107 it is called universal clear epoxy. It hardens quick, and isn't too bad if you get it on something, but still try not to. I ended up buying 2 tubes of it, and 1 package of 12 tips for it. I went through one tube, and almost all of the second tube, but I only used about 5 tips. For the 2 part epoxy, you will need a gun for spreading it. If you know someone in the auto industry that has their own shop, or a windshield shop they may be able to let you use their gun overnight so you can get this applied. Otherwise the gun for spreading this epoxy is about $80 I believe.
I ended up borrowing the gun from a local shop. My dad is friends with a few of the guys that run it.

The inside of my housings were already painted silver, as you can see in this picture. I repainted them, because if you look towards the bottom of the housing (the left side in this photo) it is black. This is from the gunk that was sitting in the housing.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
good tear down info...this is what i want todo
The nightrider definitely had the wrong car.

OP, how does the center piece look compared to the sides in the sun? In the garage they look pretty close.

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The nightrider definitely had the wrong car.

OP, how does the center piece look compared to the sides in the sun? In the garage they look pretty close.
Honestly I never noticed a difference, they match up pretty well I would say. It is a overcast day today, but they look perfect still. If I remember, the next sunny day I have here in Iowa, I will try to take some pictures, and post up.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Honestly I never noticed a difference, they match up pretty well I would say. It is a overcast day today, but they look perfect still. If I remember, the next sunny day I have here in Iowa, I will try to take some pictures, and post up.
a full set of usdm 89+ tails should match pretty good.
its only when you put a set of 89+ jdm tails with a 89+usdm center is where the colors dont match because of the tinted lenses.
jdm center piece is tinted as well
I have both :)

I also want to do the led tails too but its just so damn tedious.. anyone want to make me some :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
I love the look of the jdm lights. I had usdm late model lights on my 87 for about 2-3 months until I got a hold of turbo r lights. I like how the center section actually matched the lights. And seeing my car is burgundy it matches the body color really well. This modded is awesome for the same exact effect. Never knew it was just the color of the housing. Always thought it was a darker tint red

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
I looked today in the sunlight, and it is dead on. There really should be no difference as long as your either all usdm, or jdm lights.
Here you go.
JDM on the bottom.
USDM on the top.

The JDM are "tinted" the same as the tails.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Here we are! I've been thinking about this thread for quite some time now. Thinking about starting it this week. I had a hard time finding this. But I have a few questions;

-In the end, are these said ''screws'' to be removed?
-Has anybody stripped the paint in the inside of the center lends and painted it white along with the sides like OP did here?
-Does anybody have pictures of there car sitting in the light with no running lights on after doing this? And what color did you use?

I would like to get them as bright as possible before having the running lights on. I would like to strip the back of the center lends and paint it white but I'm afraid that the center will be brighter then the sides after painting their housings the same color.

They should make this a sticky. everyone has problems with the algae in the tail lights.
^x2

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I've got a spare set of tails I've been meaning to tear into. I've even got a broken one I can disassemble first as practice. School and racing are wearing me out, but I'll find an evening to mess with them in the next few weeks. I've really been missing all of the DIY threads, seems like there haven't been many good ones lately. I've got some possible magic in the works for the tails, as well.....

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I would not paint the inside of the housing white like you said, because it will Not reflect light as well as this metallic silver I used. White paint would result in a darker tail light, even with the lights off. If you want to give it a try and post your results in here you are more than welcome.

I wanted to retain the usdm style light and tint shade. This is why I did not tint the lens at all.

I am in class now and my car is on jacks in the garage, but if I remember when I get it back on the road I'll take some pics for you.

Also I can verify after 7 months so far and still no sign of leaks.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I tore apart my cracked spare taillight last night just for giggles. I've got some parts arriving in a few weeks that should make for some interesting progress.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts