Supra Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
The pins/screws that hold the lenses on probably don't have slots because of some lame law in some country that doesn't want people to take their lights apart and modify them. I doubt they decided to make the rest of the car easy to work on and then just decided to be bastards with the lights for no reason. Besides, those non-standard screws probably cost more than normal ones.

I might JDMize my pre-89 tails just to see how it looks.

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Here we are! I've been thinking about this thread for quite some time now. Thinking about starting it this week. I had a hard time finding this. But I have a few questions;

-In the end, are these said ''screws'' to be removed?
-Has anybody stripped the paint in the inside of the center lends and painted it white along with the sides like OP did here?
-Does anybody have pictures of there car sitting in the light with no running lights on after doing this? And what color did you use?

I would like to get them as bright as possible before having the running lights on. I would like to strip the back of the center lends and paint it white but I'm afraid that the center will be brighter then the sides after painting their housings the same color.

^x2
Note to self, I will be getting those pictures up tomorrow. I keep forgetting to take those pictures for you. I just got my car back out the other day, so I will get those taken as soon as It becomes bright out.

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Note to self, I will be getting those pictures up tomorrow. I keep forgetting to take those pictures for you. I just got my car back out the other day, so I will get those taken as soon as It becomes bright out.
Sorry, I lied lol. I just got around to taking those pictures. I kept forgetting, and kept having projects going on. So anyways here are the pics as promised (just a little late lol).

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think I saw it anywhere, but did you have to replace the taillight gaskets when you did this emerica?

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Agreed, they do match! I'm definitely up for the task. Thanks for posting them bud, the car looks great :D

How many different adhesives did you use? One black seal for the outter lends and one clear one for the inner lends?

I used a clear epoxy for the lenses, and i also used it on the inside lenses, and used Toyota oem tail light gaskets to seal them back to the car.

·
Boost Addicted
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Might as well bump this thread. I have been seeing quite a few people thinking about tracking down these issues and restoring their lights. Hope this is still helping people out there. Btw my lights still look as good as they did right after i did this. no issues what so ever so far.

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
24 Posts
I know that this thread hasn't been posted on for awhile but I was thinking to do this to my 86 Supra Taillights. Will the procedure be any different? And do I need to take out the screws first?

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
417 Posts
Honestly, if you're just replacing 86.5-88 tailights they are cheap as hell on ebay. Its only the 89-92 that gets price gouged. I would look there first.

I've seen them even cheaper than that recently.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
417 Posts
When I pulled mine out to replace the seals, i cleaned them up also but they weren't really that bad. I also did the full LED upgrade on them. I got most of the LEDs from Amazon, but the license plate LEDs I got from Superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
24 Posts
61 - 73 of 73 Posts