Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had some problem with the trans lately & pulled it out to see what was going on. Ive narrowed down the problem to being excessive clutch material clogging up the filter & stopping the fluid flow.
I took some pics...
help me identify these parts...
look at my clutches...
Is there more than one set of clutches in there somewhere?

1) Filter & you can see some of the clutch crap in there

2) Fine material found at the bottom of the pan

3) First piece i pulled off, front of the trans, not sure what it is called??

4) Second piece that slid right out, not sure what its called??

5) looking inside the front of the trans, clutches still inside, not sure what you call that round piece with the teeth on it is??

6) Clutches, looks like they still have material on there, not sure how much is acceptable? how fat are they supposed to be?

7) This is as far as i could get from the front. i removed 2 snap rings, but this piece wouldnt come out.

I tried to get into the trans from the rear, but thge bolt on the tailshaft kept the rear cap on, probably need an airgun to pop that baby off. is there anything in that end worth looking at??
Update:

8) Remove the valve body to get to the bolts that hold that last piece i couldnt get out, you can see all the bolts on the bench, 3 different lengths

9) Got it out, not sure what it is called

10) next piece to come out, it has clutches inside

11) Another shot of #10

12) the next piece to come out also has clutches in it

13) I pulled this pin out to release pressure that was keeping parts from sliding out

14) Another gear thingy, i hope someone can name all these parts

15) This is as far as i got today, i think i have to remove the nut on the tailshaft to get the rest out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is my first time going through a transmission... gotta learn sometime i guess. id like to figure out what's acceptable for the clutches. id also like to see that "billet front clutch piston" as ive been told its probably cracked. any help you guys can provide to get me through the rest would be great!
Thanks

P.S. transmission fluid makes a mess

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
use the magic #

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
3) First piece i pulled off, front of the trans, not sure what it is called??

this is the pump

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
Or you can download it on here or the net for free... we have several links for this...

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Or you can download it on here or the net for free... we have several links for this...
Have you ever worked on a car trying to reference a service manual via computer? Even printed its a pain in the ass to sort through all the loose papers. Get a manual, they are cheap.

Jason

·
Registered
824 Posts
I wouldnt take the trans apart if you dont know what your doing. Thats the most complex part of the car. Take it to a trans shop.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Lance bring the trans to my house on Wednesday and my dad can take it fully apart for you. Bring him a pack of beer. We can find out what broke and maybe its an easy fix for you.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would like to see the stock parts on one side and the aftermarket parts on the other side when u take it fully apart.... Pics please......

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im taking pics of each part i pull out. ive gotten into the 3rd clutch pack so far & they all still have material on them. i did a little shopping around & the clutches dont seem too expensive, so i think i'll replace them anyway.
Tavo, i might bring this stuff by if i cant remember how to get it all back together, thanks buddy

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
Have you ever worked on a car trying to reference a service manual via computer? Even printed its a pain in the ass to sort through all the loose papers. Get a manual, they are cheap.

Jason
^ No Jason I know what I am doing so I cant say that I have... I just look at them to learn more and learn more detail as well. Why would anyone need to look and work and look and work... read it, learn it....do it and be done with it.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
^ No Jason I know what I am doing so I cant say that I have... I just look at them to learn more and learn more detail as well. Why would anyone need to look and work and look and work... read it, learn it....do it and be done with it.
You must be one of those super smart photographic memory type's then. I can retain alot of knowledge but Ill be damned if I can read a book, take an auto trans apart then put it back together without referencing back. Then again, maybe thats why I suck on working on cars and it takes me a long time to do things. Hats off to you man, I wish I could do what you can.

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
You must be one of those super smart photographic memory type's then. I can retain alot of knowledge but Ill be damned if I can read a book, take an auto trans apart then put it back together without referencing back. Then again, maybe thats why I suck on working on cars and it takes me a long time to do things. Hats off to you man, I wish I could do what you can.
^ Well thanks but its not really that hard... but then again I have been doing it for awhile. Just put the parts in the order that they came out and keep it all clean... put bolts back in the holes they go in after you take something apart so you know what bolt goes where.

I dont want to take the thread off topic.... This is all about Lance and his trans...

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I am glad that the O.P. made this thread. The A341E seems to be this taboo mechanical device that is powered by magic. Everyone is always discouraged from working on them. I too wanted to rebuild mine, but upgrade parts were not readily available and there was not much documentation.
Someone post a link to rebuild manual. I would love to see this!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here's a few pics of the parts you said you had stopped at. Pull the two bolts out of the bottom holding the part in place and use them to pull the piece out. Like a puller of sorts.... If you need any pics or info let me know. I just built an A340E using and IPT build kit with raybestos clutches. Havent had a chance to dyno it but its back together now. After the last pics your pretty much down to the last apply piston that can be removed. If you need any pics of parts are subassemblies feel free to check my photobucket. http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/Supra67_2009/Supra%20A340E/?start=all

·
Registered
270 Posts
Second That

I am glad that the O.P. made this thread. The A341E seems to be this taboo mechanical device that is powered by magic. Everyone is always discouraged from working on them. I too wanted to rebuild mine, but upgrade parts were not readily available and there was not much documentation.
Someone post a link to rebuild manual. I would love to see this!
I am definitely subscribed and interested and agree whole heartedly with Iggy. I do wish these tranny's had more support and we could get more information on what the big vendors do to build these for power.

Looking forward to the threads to come.

95NA Can you help us out with a listing of special tools required if any?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope that someone can go through the numbered pics & list the names of these parts, that would be extremely helpful.
i havent needed any special tools yet, just a lot of towels... ATF gets everywhere

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think we really need a DIY on how to build up the stock tranny. I understand this is hard or impossible for some, but others like me love a challenge. I rebuilt a motor and loved every second of it, he trouble shooting, learning, and finally putting it all back together.

I would love to learn how to rebuild a tranny back to stock and also improve its performance like the vendors do.

Maybe when I get ready to do mine I will just buy a used one and start that as a project.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts