Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy

I need help in taking my suggestion

first I own a 240sx 2JZ swap R154 tranny the car make 420rwhp now (~550rwhp soon) last 2 day I broke my tranny after 10~15 run on it at the track.

so I thing it is the time to swap a TH400 on it BUT I afriad from the lag and the build boost in the start line. coz I did not want to use Trans brake.

with my 5sp Manual Tranny I launch my car at cutoff rpm 7000rpm WOT and drop the clutch and I can build 0.6bar (~10PSI) on the strat line (with junk BMW turbo K27). and I got 1.43 60ft [email protected] Kmph.

so what is the ruselt will be with the TH400 4K stall and with out 2 step and trans brake.

so what do you thing stick with my Maunal setup or go with TH400 swap

thanks for help guye

·
Registered
114 Posts
if it is primarily a track car I would go with the 400. Yet, if you want to keep a high level of streetability you'd probably be better off with the 5sp.

·
JZ Enthusiast
3,009 Posts
th400 all the way bro ! just get a 3800 stall converter and ur done !
But remamber even withi similer trans and stall its normal for u to drive around the country cuz you know our island is small and theres no long highways !
and about the lag i think u;ll get 0 lag ! cuz many owners uses the 400 with 3800 stall and they come out of the hole ! so dont worry the lag aint an issue here ! but getting a 400 it is !

just my 2 cents and good luck :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I run a 4200 stall and can foot brake up to 10psi at the line before overpowering the brakes. At 10 psi, I blow the tires away coming out of the hole. I end up having to launch at around 6-8 psi. I don't use a two step or transbrake. Best 60' with my 255/50/16 M/T drag radials so far is 1.46, but I'm usually in the mid to high 1.5xx range. I drive the car around town when it's nice, and back and forth to the track. Even with the 4200 stall, it is pretty good around town. I'd say do the TH400.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,113 Posts
What rearend gearing are you running? That may need to be considered when making a transmission selection.

David

·
Registered
558 Posts
Z-Gad said:
I run a 4200 stall and can foot brake up to 10psi at the line before overpowering the brakes. At 10 psi, I blow the tires away coming out of the hole. I end up having to launch at around 6-8 psi. I don't use a two step or transbrake. Best 60' with my 255/50/16 M/T drag radials so far is 1.46, but I'm usually in the mid to high 1.5xx range. I drive the car around town when it's nice, and back and forth to the track. Even with the 4200 stall, it is pretty good around town. I'd say do the TH400.
I stand corrected...but then again, your car kicks ass...funny how everyone has different experiences with auto's...when I had my auto in with a T72 turbo it wouldn't build boost and wouldn't brake stall for crap...On the transbrake it would build boost up to whatever psi you wanted...BTW, you get that beast into the 8's yet?

Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys

I do not care about the street, I want the car for a 1/4mile track

BAH_zupra
as you say our country is small so I do not care abut the street even if I will put a 4.5K sall
but I afried from the lag and the 60ft as I say I got a 1.43 with WOT cutoff and build 10~psi in the line so with TH400 without T-Brake I will not do it again and it is normally I will get bad 60ft with this setup

or I use soopl up kit ==nos==

Z-Gad

I search for some pic of your TH400 swap in hybridz but can not found it
I want to see the flexplate adapter you use and the wap pic if you have

so,, how you can get a 10psi of boost in the line with out WOT it
and what do you think of nos to spool up and to get some power that I lose without build boost.

Notorious 2JZ

I can not use Trans brake if I use it I will be in diff. class and I do not want to change my class.

BamaDave

about the gearing I do my calcu.

the shift point is 7000rpm

tire is MT ET drag 26/8.5/15 (215/70/15)

I use now 4.083 rear end gear

the TH400 gear is:

1st-----2.48
2nd----1.48
3th-----1.0

so in my cal. show that in the 3th gear @7000rpm I am in 212~218 Kmph (131.7~135.4 MPH)

so 132 mph is good for high 10s and this is my goal at the moment,,, (It is??)

thanks for help guys

·
Registered
348 Posts
MOH-I guess I don't have any photos of the tranny by itself, but here is a description... The TH400 bell is cut off down to the oil pump. It uses a MKIV manual bell housing and an adaptor plate in between. The bell is bolted to theadaptor plate which in turn is bolted to the TH400 transmission pump. It uses the stock MKIV flexplate with a hybrid PI converter which has the MKIV flexplate bolt pattern and the TH400 input shaft.
Regarding building boost at the line, I do give it WOT until I reach the desired boost level, at which point I have to start pedaling it a little while I wait for the lights. It takes maybe 4-5 seconds to spool. I have the timing advanced and the fuel leaned to speed up spool. I haven't any experience using nitrous, so others may need to chime in on that question...

turbodg - thanks Dave ... No 8's yet :rolleyes:
Time is not being very track friendly to me right now, and it may be a little while longer before I can get back there. I have to do a few more things before I can get close to the 8 second range (4-bar Map sensor, install my built motor, and probably go to the big GT42r). Then, there's also the question of how much power that 87 300zx R200 rear end I am running can handle LOL!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Z-Gad

my 240sx race wieght with the swap 2777 lbs with 1/2 tank and without driver

so any one have TH400 with out T-brake and without 2step and use Nos on it

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts