Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up? Well I'll be in NYC for the weekend with my girlfriend. It's her bday present and she doesn't have a clue muahahahaha. She thinks we're going to a 1/2 star hotel in Ft. Lauderdale :rofl:

Anyway a friend recommended me an Italian restaurant that is somewhere between 47th street and 51st on Lexington Ave behind the Intercontinental Hotel but doesn't know the name or #. Does anyone know the name of it? Also, can anyone recommend me another couple of restaurants in the Manhattan area that I can take her to dinner at on Saturday night?

I'd like something nice but more importantly something that she can wear jeans and a cute shirt to since we'll be walking around before dinner so we probably won't be dressed up. She likes Italian but it doesn't necessarily have to be Italian.

Thanks a mil!

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,919 Posts
One of the best places to go is The Palm Restaurant in Manhattan. http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=22 Best steaks I've ever had. (they also have pasta and what not.. it's not just steak..lol)

There is also a good Portuguese place in Soho called Alfama that I 've been to numerous times. Great food and a nice setting. http://www.alfamarestaurant.com/

I'm sure some of the NYC guys would have more places, but these are 2 of my favs.

Oh yeah and one more... There is a nice Italian place called Dona in East Midtown that has great food. http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/dona/index.html

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
They gave you the wrong address my man, I am checking my Zagat right now but as far as I know all the restaurants on Lexington start after 50th or so and there's a bunch of law firms and an art gallery before that, and then a few smaller places further down starting at about 45th and under.

http://www.zagat.com/resultslist/Re...face|VerticalID&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ns=Name
See if you can find it.

Personally I would take her to BBQ's if it was casual and Justins or Tavern on the Green for more formal stuff. You can take her on a walk through Central Park afterwards if you go to TotG.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Well, my favorite steak house would be CHART HOUSE in HOBOKEN,NJ. It sits right across the hudson river and you can view the city very clearly. I'm sure some one will chime in and recommand peter lugar's steak house, but I didn't find it to be all that great.

BTW, are you flying or driving(the supra that is).

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm checkin everything out ;)

She just called me and asked me what I was doing and when I told her I was looking for restaurants for the weekend she started naming all these places in Ft. Lauderdale :lol:

She mentioned a couple steak houses and a local cuban restaurant :gapteeth:

I'll be flying for this trip :bigthumb:

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
The Palm is an excellent restuarant...very nice and cozy setting for you and your lady...have a great time.

Khis

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
Ruths Chris in the city tastes awesome ... the ribeye there is to die for. Service is also very good. According to them, their steak is in the top 3% of the US. Probably looking at $40-50 a person which honestly isnt too bad once in a while.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Since you're going to be in the city, you might want to try city-specific places. For steak, consider Peter Luger's (simply because of its popularity - be sure to bring cash since no checks/cards are accepted) or Ben Bensons. The Italian place you're thinking of is probably Carmine's - I think they have two or three locations in the city. For cheap Japanese as a late-night snack, you might want to hit up Yakitori on St. Marks.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
MoogieBoogie said:
Since you're going to be in the city, you might want to try city-specific places. For steak, consider Peter Luger's (simply because of its popularity - be sure to bring cash since no checks/cards are accepted) or Ben Bensons. The Italian place you're thinking of is probably Carmine's - I think they have two or three locations in the city. For cheap Japanese as a late-night snack, you might want to hit up Yakitori on St. Marks.

So true brian
if your into sea food check out city island they haveba few good places there (dont worrie its a small place with a strip of just restaurants)

this might help you as well
http://newyork.citysearch.com/find/section/newyork/restaurants.html?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yea, as Ranger mention...the spirit cruises are pretty good from what i hear. They are right by the west side highway near 20-23rd streets

·
Registered
259 Posts
For after dinner, check out the dessert bar at Marriot Marquis in Times Square. It's a revolving restaurant and you go high up enough to have a nice view and it takes an hour to make one full turn. I think admission is less than $20.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn so many good suggestions! I'm getting all giddy lol. We leave tomorrow at 3:30 and she still has no clue :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
im just a wee lil lurker, but my step sister works at Del Frisco's steakhouse, that place is bamazinggggggggggg heres some info on the location

Del Frisco's of New York
1221 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10020
(212) 575-5129

and heres the meal i got when i went ther, oooo soo good

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
youll never get reservations to peter lugers in time ......in hoboken , aurthers is the shiznit .......ruth criss is a lttle over priced .......carmines is served family style so you would need to bring a big apetite .......for desert you could try serindipty which is famous for its frozen hot chocolate ......stay away from umbertos in little italy , $25 for a horrible chicken parm is just not worth it .......

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Since you mentioned Cuban Food, my recommendation is this really good Cuban Restaurant on 52nd St called Victor's Cafe. The Ropa Vieja is really good, and their Arroz con Leche is classic. They also have a really good appetizer which is Platano's stuffed with Picadillo.

http://www.victorscafe.com/index2.html

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SUPRA180 said:
youll never get reservations to peter lugers in time ......in hoboken , aurthers is the shiznit .......ruth criss is a lttle over priced .......carmines is served family style so you would need to bring a big apetite .......for desert you could try serindipty which is famous for its frozen hot chocolate ......stay away from umbertos in little italy , $25 for a horrible chicken parm is just not worth it .......
lol yeah I found that out about peter luger's already... and also about carmine's. I was looking at having dessert at serendipity but they don't take reservations for dessert only and the guy on the phone told me the wait for 2 people could be 2 hours :rolleyes: I don't know if he really understood me, maybe he thought I was asking about the wait for dinner for a walk-in w/o a reservation so I'm going to call again tomorrow and ask for the wait for a dessert walk-in.

I heard about a cuban restaurant called Cabana. They have a few locations.. anyone eaten there?

I've been thinking about the practicality of going to a dressy place. We're staying in the bronx with some of her family and we're going to be walking the city on Saturday so we'll be wearing comfortable clothes. It almost doesn't make sense to take a 30-40 min trip back home to change into something more elegant to take another 30-40 min trip back to the city for dinner so I think it's better to keep it casual-semi casual.

·
Registered
857 Posts
SupraTico said:
lol yeah I found that out about peter luger's already... and also about carmine's. I was looking at having dessert at serendipity but they don't take reservations for dessert only and the guy on the phone told me the wait for 2 people could be 2 hours :rolleyes: I don't know if he really understood me, maybe he thought I was asking about the wait for dinner for a walk-in w/o a reservation so I'm going to call again tomorrow and ask for the wait for a dessert walk-in.
You *might* be able to get an off-peak reservation at Peter Lugers and Carmines. Off-peak hours are around 2-4 PM.

As for Serendipity, he's right. It's a popular desert place and the wait is about 1-2 hours for desert.

Frank, when are we getting together for some tofu? Free on Sunday for lunch?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts