Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i have not done anything to them yet and i would like to know if taking them out is tricky at all. I have some experience on workign with engines, and i have common sence. I jsut don't want to pay for labor, but if it is too tricky and there is risk i can break the engine, then forget it. Also i am looking for a book on 2JZ-GTE engines, is there any that you recommend? I am trying to educate myself, so please don't hate or flame me. :)

·
10'S BABY
3,835 Posts
I am taking them off right now and its not too tough. Just soak a lot of the bolts in WD40 to not break off studs. Remember where everything goues and it wont b too bad. No your not gonna mess up your motor..jus properly torque everything(mkiv.com) and hook all up as you took it off and you should be fine

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
I dunno what he means either. I just took off my twins a week ago on my own... they're freakin heavy!!! I layed some towels, my dog's bed, and 2 pizza boxes on the headlight/rad support so that when I pulled out the twins I could rest them on there while I climbed out of the engine compartment to carry them off the car... of course, it's much easier with a buddy. You're going to have some fun figuring out how to get some of the nuts holding the manifold/twins to the head.. make sure you've got some good extensions, a U joint or 2, some deep sockets (not too deep), and a breaker bar of some sort. I used one of my stock twin piping as the breaker bar :D The Toyota repair manual is a must if you want to put them back in or maybe even save yourself some trouble with removing them.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
They are not to bad to take off, I did mine in 3hrs. The worst part is getting that rear turbo oil return, that alone took 30 mins.

Lawrence

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
They are a little tricky, but the FSM helps that part. I did mine in about 3 hrs conservatively even though I was upgrading to single status.

Plus, my engine was out of the car and on stand.

DP

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
well what he means is take them off yourself if your not planning on putting them back on because it is a huge pita. its not too hard taking them off, just takes some time.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
^^ oh. YES it is a HUGE PITA to put them back in with the engine in the car. It is not that bad to put them back on if you have the engine on a stand - you can work with both hands and everything is accessible. You need about 3 or 4 different direction bending elbows on your arm to work comfortably with the turbos in the car, and ideally an arm with a circumference of 3 inches or less.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah i am planing to install larger twins in place. DO i need a new exhaust manifold for the new trubos? most come with one right? I was also wondering what is a good twin combination? What is FSM....i am sorry for being such a newbie....

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Yes you will need a new exaust manifold, unless you make some addapeters like I did. IT will not flow like tubular ones but seams to work alright. There are a few kits out there just depends on how much power you want to make. I would suggest going single turbo instead. It will be cheaper and easer to work on. Just my .02$.

Lawrence

1 - 12 of 12 Posts