Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need reassurance.
A year ago I placed my Supra on Jacks due to it spewing oil from the dipstick and pressurizing the catch can.
I spent 1150.00 on a jdm motor, a year without my baby, and 2 days of my life doing the swap.

I got her back together and after a spirited drive last night opened the hood upon smoke seeing pouring from underneath.
OIL.
On the turbo that had sprayed out of the dipstick.

IT's the same thing.
What's the same?
The turbo.
I was running a 60-1 with a stock elbow and I hypothesize that I destroyed a seal due to the back pressure.
I now have a hi flow elbow on but the damage is done albeit less pronounced.
I always thought of myself as a halfway decent mechanic but this is damned embarassing.

Has anyone else had oil spew out of the dipstick?
I would really like to hear a similar experience as it seems to be the only solution that makes sense.

.....that and it will justify my purchasing this T04b turbo kit that I'm bidding on. ;)

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
If oil is shooting out of the dipstick you have too much pressure inside the crank case no question. Are your crank case ventilation lines up and functionning well? Did you switch to a catch can?
eric

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
how did you route the lines coming off the valve covers?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I switched to a catch can. Suggestions?
I actually just won a T04b turbo,manifold,intercooler wastegate and blowoff valve package off of Ebay.
I will be ditching the can in favor of running some stainless lines to my downpipe since I have to have one fabbed up anyway.

cnewingham: I ran the lines off of the valve covers into the can. I need a vent don't I? :(

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You're not venting the crankcase... the whole reason for that system being there to begin with. You need to run on of the lines from the can to the accordian hose or a breather filter.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I ask because I once used the NA pipe and ran it to the catch can however it did not vent enough so I ditched the NA pipe and ran hoses from each valve cover and my catch can did have a breather on it. My new setup I am going to keep the somewhat stock pcv routing as I am going to be using much higher boost levels and wont see a benefit from a catch can

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Man i wish these catch cans came with an extra nipple so that people would stop doing that :lol:... Some do.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
just running the cam cover lines to the catch can is like blowing up a balloon. eventually, something's going to pop if you keep blowing.

the catch can needs a vacuum source for two reasons. 1, to help pull the vapors from the valve covers, and 2, the vacuum source acts as a relief for the pressure. i used the N/A pipe, ran one line to my catch can, and from the catch can to the accordian hose. i have no problems with it, and it functions exactly as it should.

-shaeff

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will run a line to the accordian hose for the meantime.
After I repair the fucking BHG that I just developed of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts