Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm moving to CO and I'm going to go ahead and guess my CTS-V isn't going to be a great winter car. With that said, I'd love to do a more or less even trade for an SUV that gets the winter duty done. My priorities would be tech (GPS, audio, etc) and comfort. Not terribly concerned with it being able to climb boulders or ford 4ft rivers, but AWD is a must. My old man has a brand new Explorer sport which is SICK, but about $15k more than I'd like to spend. Anything close that starts with a three handle? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
^Not new. If you are looking to buy new, there really isn't much out there in that price range that isn't pretty stripped out. You could go with something like a Subaru XV or Honda HRV. Both ugly and kinda feminine. But hey, I bet they kick ass in the winter. If you are considering used, well there are shit loads out there. Personally, I'd look at 4Runners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty much anything can be had in that price range if your wiling to put up with higher miles and put in the time to finger-eff it for potential issues. Witht that said, I'm doing the same thing with the same budget. Older V8 Lincoln Navs (03-08) can be had for way less than 30 and were absolute studs but check for air suspension issues and rusting retractable door sills. Higher-mile GenIII Range Rovers (w/o supercharging=HSE)...but the reliability issues! Lexus GXs are slightly smaller than Land Cruisers but supremely capable in the snow and off-road. Then there are always straight-up Jeeps (not Cherookes...JEEPS).

You've got choices.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm perfectly happy with a used car. What is there to know about 4Runners? They seem to be very popular and reliable, but I really don't like the looks of the newer models...

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
My used Cayenne turbo S with pano roof was about that range. Towed my Supra from Michigan, was a dream to haul. Bad mileage, but tons of power. Great family ish tow rig.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Looks like I'm moving to CO and I'm going to go ahead and guess my CTS-V isn't going to be a great winter car. With that said, I'd love to do a more or less even trade for an SUV that gets the winter duty done. My priorities would be tech (GPS, audio, etc) and comfort. Not terribly concerned with it being able to climb boulders or ford 4ft rivers, but AWD is a must. My old man has a brand new Explorer sport which is SICK, but about $15k more than I'd like to spend. Anything close that starts with a three handle? Thanks for the input!
Where are you moving? I only ask because I just moved to Colorado Springs.

Regarding an suv - Highlander, MDX,or RX for reliability, comfort, and no need for towing; 4Runner or GX for reliability, towing, and some genuine off-road capability.

My used Cayenne turbo S with pano roof was about that range. Towed my Supra from Michigan, was a dream to haul. Bad mileage, but tons of power. Great family ish tow rig.
Must have been a several-year old Cayenne Turbo S if ~$30k ?

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm perfectly happy with a used car. What is there to know about 4Runners? They seem to be very popular and reliable, but I really don't like the looks of the newer models...
Not good pics, but it's all I have.

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 4WD owned since new. 140,000 miles and counting. Passenger's side DRL is the only thing that has gone wrong. This is my third 4Runner. We have three others in my family and mine has the fewest miles. Highly recommended.

Ken.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
My Porsche is a '06 with 103k. Blk/blk.

Coolant pipes and drive shafts were replaced years ago. No other problems.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I've read that MDX's were riddled with transmission issues. I avoided them. We just picked up a 2015 Highlander Platinum and it's a damn nice SUV to spend time in, those start at $30k though.

As far as 4Runners, they are tanks. I would buy any generation without hesitation.

·
Systems *****istrator
615 Posts
I'm looking to get into a SUV in the next few months as well. Same budget.
I'm looking for a 08-10 Cayenne Turbo or GTS or possibly a newer model X5.
Both solid cars

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the 4runner is the best bang for the buck SUV in that price range. They run forever and the maintenance is something you can handle on your own if you need to.

·
Professional Troll
586 Posts
4runner if buying new, used i don't they make much of a deal as they depreciate slowly and people beat on them.

4wd F150/Sierra/Ram would make tonnes of sense in your case

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can pick up a new dodge durango with awd in the low 30s. Probably could find a used one with the hemi v8 in that range too.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I'm looking to get into a SUV in the next few months as well. Same budget.
I'm looking for a 08-10 Cayenne Turbo or GTS or possibly a newer model X5.
Both solid cars
I just bought a '13 xDrive50i m-sport. Nice truck. Fast, thirsty, well equipped. Firm, responsive handling. I also considered the Cayenne turbo - unequivocally nicer vehicle, but also significantly more expensive. Not really even direct competitors, imo - the Cayenne turbo is in another class. Also, iirc the Cayenne/Touareg twins were all-new for '09, so hugely different from '08 to '09.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
^Not new. If you are looking to buy new, there really isn't much out there in that price range that isn't pretty stripped out. You could go with something like a Subaru XV or Honda HRV. Both ugly and kinda feminine. But hey, I bet they kick ass in the winter. If you are considering used, well there are shit loads out there. Personally, I'd look at 4Runners.
Didn't see anywhere where OP said "new" in the original post :scratch:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Any 03-09 Lexus GX470, solid as a rock.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts