Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looks like my V is sold and I'll be pulling the trigger by Monday, at the latest... curious if anyone has input on my impressions at this point. Narrowed it down to 3 options:

Ford Explorer Sport: Love everything about it, but the most expensive by ~$5,000+. Also have concerns with long term reliability on a TT V6 that will see harsh weather and road salt. Can I skip the TT V6 and get the same interior/exterior in a lesser variant?
4 Runner: Seems like a solid, reliable option and I love the price, but the tech seems lacking. At what point did they integrate blue-tooth audio, voice activated GPS, etc?
Jeep Grand Cherokee: Like the price, appears to have the tech I want, but I've read mixed reviews on its automatic and interior lacking space.

·
YotaMD.com author
725 Posts
As a former Coloradan who owns a Land Cruiser for the winters:

Land Cruiser ~2005 or so should be in your range. Rock Solid vehicle, good for 250k without much worry. Can even do impressive of road trails if you take a wrong turn in the mountains.

Lexus GX or LX for something a little more luxurious.

Porsche Cayenne if you want something fun.

4Runner is capable, but it's definitely more of a truck than a luxury SUV. Test drive a few and get a feel for it to see if it's your thing. If you want luxury, steer towards the Lexus variants, Land Cruiser and Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
I love my 4runner its a 2008 (4th gen). I have Bluetooth in mine, was a piece of cake just put in an aftermarket deck. Extremely reliable, great power, good gas mileage and the ability to tow and go off roading.
The OP's selection criteria may be different, but this is what it comes down to, IMO. Admittedly, I am not a tech guy, so vehicle dynamics, fit and finish, overall quality, durability and long-term reliability are more important to me. The Ford and Jeep are decent enough vehicles, but they have to take a back seat to Toyota in everything above with the possible exception of vehicle dynamics. I'm a body on frame guy when it comes to this kind of stuff and the recent Consumer Reports "20 Least Reliable Vehicles" doesn't help either and seems to have every Jeep currently in production on the list...

Admitted bias: 4Runner in my immediate household since 1988 and, currently, five 4Runners among my siblings and nephews.

Ken

·
Champagne Papi
5,693 Posts
Personally, I would skip the 4runner and go for a Sequoia. It's gas mileage is similiar to the 4runner but that's pretty much where it ends. 3 rows of seats, more tech, more luxury, yet underrated and undepriced IMO. I have definitely had my eye on these since I sold my Tundra and am super excited about the new ones.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
If you liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but want more space you should consider the Dodge Durango. I have the Citadel AWD 5.7L and it has all the tech I was looking for...heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power liftgate, adaptive cruise control (awesome), blind spot warning, etc. I had a Cayenne Turbo before it. Sure it's not as fast as the Cayenne, but it has 3 rows, fits my family better on trips and doesn't have the stupid left side key. Not to mention, it's much more reliable. The Cayenne's are notorious for their deficiencies in several items that will fail at some point.
Either way good luck.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but want more space you should consider the Dodge Durango. I have the Citadel AWD 5.7L and it has all the tech I was looking for...heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power liftgate, adaptive cruise control (awesome), blind spot warning, etc. I had a Cayenne Turbo before it. Sure it's not as fast as the Cayenne, but it has 3 rows, fits my family better on trips and doesn't have the stupid left side key. Not to mention, it's much more reliable. The Cayenne's are notorious for their deficiencies in several items that will fail at some point.
Either way good luck.
Good advice... Looking at some online and like what I see. What year did you buy, how many miles and how has it held up? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Personally, I would skip the 4runner and go for a Sequoia. It's gas mileage is similiar to the 4runner but that's pretty much where it ends. 3 rows of seats, more tech, more luxury, yet underrated and undepriced IMO. I have definitely had my eye on these since I sold my Tundra and am super excited about the new ones...
sequoias are great, but not if it has to do daily duties - it's like driving a school bus.

·
Very Senior Member
10,017 Posts
I would stay far away from anything Domestic. Just my .02
Exactly. Toyota good - domestic bad.
I would avoid anything that does not have multiple dealers in a large town. That rules out Porsches, for sure.
While you will see low ratings on them some places, my 2004 Armada has been excellent and I would not have anything else for a combo of hauling people, stuff, and trailers. YMMV.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Good advice... Looking at some online and like what I see. What year did you buy, how many miles and how has it held up? Thanks!
I have a 2012 and I've had it for ~2 1/2 years. It has ~90k miles on it now. Despite near constant use it has held up great. Water pump went up this past spring on a trip to Florida, that's been about it. I'd recommend 2014+ if you can swing it. They have a larger nav screen, LED front/rear lights and I think an 8 speed tranny. I get lots of compliments on the car and several ppl have asked "What make is a Citadel?"...lol. When I tell them it's a Dodge Durango they're like....WOW. I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control, not sure I can live without it now. Just set the cruise control and the car will use its radar to keep a constant distance between you and the car in front of you. It will brake and speed up on its own to get to the preset speed or slow down if something comes in front of it. Kind of scary, but you can almost drive down the highway without paying attention, it's that good. Remote start in temps below 40 degrees and it will automatically turn on the seat and steering wheel heaters. Remote start in temps over 85 degrees(I think) and it will automatically put on the ventilated seat. Nice features. LMK if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Thanks for all the guidance! I test drove a 4 Runner Trail today and just couldn't get passed the interior. Ended up picking up a loaded 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland with V8 & 50k miles and came in waaaay under my budget. I think it has every option short of the adaptive cruise control which would have been nice, but I can live without it. Plenty of money leftover for a new board, boots and lots of lift tickets :D

21 - 40 of 59 Posts