Supra Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice. I really like the look of the GC. I get them as rentals occasionally and I don't think there is anything I don't like about them. They seem like a lot of car for the money. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
As a quick update... ~2,000 miles in the last 5 days and I freaking love this car. Its the first non sport(y) sedan I've owned so I wouldn't mind an extra 300 hp, but its a great cruiser and eats up miles on the highway with all of my belongings in the back.

Sunrise at Neptune Beach

Quick stop at Sierra Nevada for lunch outside of Asheville

Camping in Great Smokey Mountain National Park (got a great site)

Sunrise in Great Smokey Mountain National Park

I also had a two night stop in Augusta for a round of golf and to ride out some storms moving across the country, but no glamour shots there.

~800 miles left before Thanksgiving with family and another 650 after that to my new home. Hoping to hit up a few more sites and parks along the way!

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Sounds like a lot of good times with your new ride, congrats. :)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Lets do the 14 month post purchase update! After 20k great miles my Grand Cherokee absolutely shit the bed on me with a touch under 70k miles on the clock. Air suspension had failed, traction control failed, back-up camera was dead within 2,000 miles of ownership, and I'm willing to bet some serious transmission issues are not far down the road. So, that will be the first and last Jeep I own I was ready to move on before these problems left me stranded 300 miles from home. The good news is that I could afford to put it behind me and my SUV budget has increased substantially over the last year.

To start, after a year of owning an SUV in CO I realized I'd rarely do anything beyond light unpaved road 'off-roading' so I was shopping for something a bit sportier that would still get me up into the mountains when there is snow on the ground. I was looking at the GLC 43 and was nearly sold on that until I test drove a 2017 Macan S... The dealer offered me a fair trade-in on the jeep and were flexible enough on the sticker price that I ended up driving away in one last weekend. I've put about 400 miles on it over the course of the week and I love it. I had never driven a car with PDK up until this point and now I can understand what all the hype is about - I still don't think I'd want it in a second car, but I can't imagine a better transmission for a daily driver. The car is sort of a dog off the line, but it moves surprisingly well at highway speeds and corners like a sports sedan to the light extent that I've pushed it so far. Interior is off the charts (to me at least) and all I wanted out of the tech package is bluetooth stereo so all of the other bells and whistles are a nice bonus.

Crappy picture from right when I got her home, but it will do for now. Windows have been tinted since.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Very nice pick up. Best of luck with it and, if it's as good as it looks, you should be in good shape.

J.D. Power & Associates in particular, Consumer Reports and Automotive News seldom make mistakes when it comes to durability, reliability and long-term quality assessments. FCA, generally, is rated very low in these and related categories for good reason. While everybody knows somebody whose Jeep (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) has never caused them a problem, the numbers don't lie and your experience is emblematic of that. Thanks for posting your experience. Given how it turned out, many would not have.

Ken.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Very nice pick up. Best of luck with it and, if it's as good as it looks, you should be in good shape.

J.D. Power & Associates in particular, Consumer Reports and Automotive News seldom make mistakes when it comes to durability, reliability and long-term quality assessments. FCA, generally, is rated very low in these and related categories for good reason. While everybody knows somebody whose Jeep (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) has never caused them a problem, the numbers don't lie and your experience is emblematic of that. Thanks for posting your experience. Given how it turned out, many would not have.

Ken.
Yup, it is what it is. I was honestly hoping I could drive the car for another 80,000 miles as it did everything I needed well enough. There really is something nice about having a car that you like, but you don't care enough about to worry about dings, dents, hail, keeping it clean etc. How I went from that end of the spectrum to the Macan... I'm not sure. For now I'm enjoying the long walks from the far side of the parking lot and vacuuming the floor mats :D

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The forum is quiet so why not post another update... traded the Macan in for a 2020 TRD Pro this morning. Now that I have a dedicated sports car in the garage the Macan wasn't making as much sense as I don't need a sporty SUV and I do need something that will get me further into the mountains. Also, bonus points for my first Toyota.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We love the 4runners... but too pricey still. Want a 2013+ Limited
We settled on a 2013 RX350. We love it... we'll get a 4runner someday.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,397 Posts
So let me get this straight...you started this thread 5 years ago asking for advice. Everyone said "4Runner", and you bought a Jeep? I guess you learned that lesson the hard way. Then you traded the Jeep for a Macan a few years ago. Now you've finally come around to the 4Runner. [end rant]

You'll love the 4Runner. I've had 4 of them over the past 28 years and I've loved every single one of them. My current 'Runner is a 2018 SR5 (same generation as your new one) and I'm very happy.

Toyota 4Runner -- "the official Jeep rescue vehicle."

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So let me get this straight...you started this thread 5 years ago asking for advice. Everyone said "4Runner", and you bought a Jeep? I guess you learned that lesson the hard way. Then you traded the Jeep for a Macan a few years ago. Now you've finally come around to the 4Runner. [end rant]
Lol, now that you point it out... yes, that is exactly what happened.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is an interesting topic. Good job on going Toyota 4Runner.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
2016 Gx460. Love ours.
Funny just read this thread... I'm probably the only person in the world cross-shopping a Lexus GX460, Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, Porsche Mecan S, and a Toyota Land Cruiser right now.

Earlier today we test drove the 4Runner and felt like it was lacking the low end torque, looking at Macan S and GX460 next. With the Macan S being completely different vehicle I guess we'll need to weigh the "off-road" vs street manners, long term reliability, acceleration, gas mileage, etc trade-offs.

The LC200s are nice, but we'll most likely have to rule them out due to price range with under 40k miles - $60K+ even used.

OP, do you miss anything on the Macan S going to 4Runner TRD Pro?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Funny just read this thread... I'm probably the only person in the world cross-shopping a Lexus GX460, Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, Porsche Mecan S, and a Toyota Land Cruiser right now.

Earlier today we test drove the 4Runner and felt like it was lacking the low end torque, looking at Macan S and GX460 next. With the Macan S being completely different vehicle I guess we'll need to weigh the "off-road" vs street manners, long term reliability, acceleration, gas mileage, etc trade-offs.

The LC200s are nice, but we'll most likely have to rule them out due to price range with under 40k miles - $60K+ even used.

OP, do you miss anything on the Macan S going to 4Runner TRD Pro?
I'm really loving the 4R so far... More than I expected. We're actually road tripping sw CO right now so I will go into detail later. If your concerned with low and torque I would advise you to try a few low rpm first gear starts in the macan. Mine was dangerously slow below 3k in 1st (stand still or 5mph roll). It would take a legitimate two to three seconds for the turbos to spool and the car to get moving.

One from the road

41 - 59 of 59 Posts